help installing oval dish - very desparate

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

crazyasian

Original poster
Sep 26, 2004
right now i can get all the channels except for HD. yes i do have subscription to HD with DTV.

i only get signals for the 101 satellite ,however, the 110 and 119 satellites are all n/a. i've been working on this for hours to get HD working and nothing.

where do i go from here? i have the 101 dish @ 100%, what do i need to do to get the other satellite signals? since i'm getting signal from the 101 satellite do i need to adjust tilt only or all three (tilt, azimuth, elevation)? i'm in Houston, TX right now. when i insert the zip it gives me the following:

azimuth 204
elevation 51
tilt 65

i tried the above and i get nothing, not even the 101 satellite. i am stumped!!

If you have the dish mounted on a pole, the pole must be plumb. No leaning in any direction.

make sure you have the triple lnb oval dish,,make sure that you are on the correct screen setting for that dish, and make sure that your skew is set correct,,if all is correct then tune the dish,,,using the elevation on the tv screen always + or - 5 degrees as for the azimuth its the same + or -5 if you have any probs im me

yes i have all the menu settings correct.

the question is are all three satellites at the same elevation? if they are and my elevation is correct and i'm getting the 101, then all i need to do is rotate the dish until i get signal on 110 and/or 119...correct? right now i'm just trying to see if i can even get the 110 and/or 119, not necessaryily at the same time.

once i know i can get the 110/119 then i can mess with thet tilt to get all three. i guess i'm doing baby steps right now. if i have to start over with the azimuth, elevation, and tilt, where do i start? what do i try to correct first?

another question, do i need a multi-switch for this to work. right now i only have one receiver and i'm coming straight from the dish.

Any barrels or ground blocks in the line. Could be a bad ground block, barrel connector or even a wall plate. If everything mentioned in the previous posts still did not work, try running a line straight from the dish to the reciever and see if that will bring in all signals from the dish. As Voomer mentioned is thier any obstructions to the west of 204, the 119 bird is over there.

yes this is the Phase III with a built-in switch. i'm running the line straight from the LNB to the receiver without any wall plates.

how are the satellites laid out relative to the 101? is the 101 on the left, 110 in the middle and 119 on the right? if so how many degrees of separation are they? am i looking at a 30 degree range between the left and the right? i've always thought the 110 and 119 is to the left of 101.

there is a tree to the right of the 101. right now i have about 20 degrees play to the right of the 101.

from reading all the responses i believe all my equipment is set up to get HD. all i have to do now is find the right location to point my dish. this is mainly what i needed answers for.

also according to lyngsat.com's site i should be getting the below HD channels with the 101 satellite, however, i didn't get any of these channels. all of them are giving "searching for signal" (yes, i have NFL Sunday ticket).

70 NFL CBS HD
71 NFL Fox HD
92 NFL Sunday Ticket HD
93 NFL Sunday Ticket HD

The tilt messed me up, make sure you set that first. I had to use a different elevation that what is suggested. Basically I used the tilt they suggested and loosened the satellite and made slow right to left turns raising the elevation slightly with each turn untill I found the satellites.

I also had to move my dish to pick up the other two satellites I had a tree blocking my signal, oddly enough it didnt block Sat 101. Sounds like you may have the same problem as me. Tree just to the right of the dish blocking out 110 and 119.

I had this problem also. I called Direct and they said they could'nt tell me the location of the 119 sat so I called Dish and they told me. Where I am the 101 is 180 azimuth and the 119 is 204. The 119 is also about 5 degrees lower then the 101 sat. So if there are trees to the right of 101 it may be that they are in the way of LOS. Other then that, could be that you have a bad LNB.

i've been on the roof for hours trying to get signal from the 110 and 119 and still nothing. what am i doing wrong here? i've tried the following:

1. moved the dish so there are no obstructions to the right of the 101 satellite.
2. bought myself an RG11 cable to rule out any faulty cable.
3. set the stand for the dish to be as vertical as can be (verified by a level).
4. set the tilt to ~66 degrees.
5. located the 101 satellite without a problem. right now i'm getting 90-100 percent signal strength. i have a clear path 0-30 degrees to the right of the 101 satellite.
6. using the same elevation i varied the tilt 2 degrees at a time (up and down) and rotated the dish slowly...still no signal.
7. kept the tilt at 66 dgrees and change the elevation ~5 degrees at a time and rotated the dish slowly...still no signal.
8. gave up and started cursing.

i'm getting nothing, i mean nothing...ZERO. if i can at least get a 5% signal strength or something on the 110 or 119 that would tell me there's potential. but this seems worthless and hopeless.

do i need to do anything with the HD receiver other than tell it what dish it's using (oval-3)?

here's what i did to check the signal strength:
setup
installation
set dish
directtv set signal meter
leave it on 110 and play with the dish

on satelitte 101 transponder 8 the highest signal strength that i can get is 96%. are you saying that the 110 and 119 should only be a few degrees to the right of 101? and a few elevations away?

I have the same type issues, I can get 101 & 110 at 92 -96, but 119 only low 60's, and now that signal is falling into 40's and the low 50's while 101 & 110 remain at same levels. Its driving me nuts. Seem there may something blocking, but it thats true as the leaves fall off signal should go up not down????????????????/

i finally got it...the RESET button.

i took my HD receiver (Samsung TS-360) to my buddies house and connected it to his existing dish, which receives HD signals. at first i was getting nothing from my receiver. i had everything but the HD channels. then i checked the signal and all i got was the 101 and nothing on the 110 and 119. couldn't figure out what it was. then we hit the RESET button and everything started to come in.

i then took the receiver back home, hooked up the lines and BAM everything worked.

who would've thunk it? the RESET button.

thanks so much for your help everybody. without this forum i wouldn't have known where to start. anyway i gotta go it's almost noon and the Eagles are on HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)