HELP: LCD 26" Size = better PQ than a 32"?

am7crew

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have a Vizio 32" LCD in the bedroom and the SD PQ is pretty bad. I was wondering if a 26" LCD would make the SD PQ better size it wouldnt have to be stretched as far as a bigger screen?

Any help would be appreciated.

It's not so much the size of your lcd as it is the video circuitry your panel uses to scale the image.

All lcd panels are much higher resolution than an SD signal. Low cost panels will do very little to improve the image quality. You will need an external video processor or a flat panel that has an internal processor like the HQV Reon.

You will perceive it to be better at a smaller size yes.

I do agree with the previous poster too. That said, there is only so much that you can do to a SD signal to make it look better.

Also, what is your SD source? Some are pretty bad, and don't deliver a clean SD signal.

You might consider updating the source first. For example, the HD satellite receivers will upconvert the SD signal before sending it to the TV. They seem to do a reasonable job and this might be a cheaper solution.

Upconverting DVD players are dirt cheap right now and will definitely improve picture quality. The image stored on the DVD is of better quality than can be delivered over standard SD cables. It might even be time to consider a BluRay player as they are starting to show up for under $150.

I agree with MSmith that a 26" will have a perceived higher quality, but that's kind of a band aid solution, and I think you would be better off putting the same money into getting a better signal to the TV.

Well my Video source are kinda crazy, we have Dish, Directv, and Charter. Best PQ for SD is Charter and I tend to watch it more due to ondemand. I had a 50" vizio plasma which made the SD PQ on Charter look amazing but the TV died about 13 months after purchase and since getting the LCD The PQ is just really bad in SD, blurry text pixelation allot etc. HD is fine, its really the SD Im trying to improve.

My equipment sources are:
Direct HR22 - HDMI
Dish 722k - HDMI
Motorolla HD DVR - HDMI

Well my Video source are kinda crazy, we have Dish, Directv, and Charter. Best PQ for SD is Charter and I tend to watch it more due to ondemand. I had a 50" vizio plasma which made the SD PQ on Charter look amazing but the TV died about 13 months after purchase and since getting the LCD The PQ is just really bad in SD, blurry text pixelation allot etc. HD is fine, its really the SD Im trying to improve.

My equipment sources are:
Direct HR22 - HDMI
Dish 722k - HDMI
Motorolla HD DVR - HDMI

OK, that's a whole different ballgame. I am also using the Motorola HD-DVR (6416). I find SD nearly unwatchable via Comcast, and am running it into a 50" Panasonic Plasma.

Sometimes the source material just isn't there. Unfortunately, Visios are not known for their up-conversion abilities. Have you experimented with using both HDMI and component? I found the component output of the Motorola box somewhat better than HDMI for SD.

I also assume you have set up the Motorola box for 1080i output and 16:9 TV. That should do the up-conversion. To get there, turn the box off and then press the menu button on the remote. I use the following:

TV Type 16:9
YPbPr Output 1080i
4:3 Override 480i

See if those settings may be a bit better. However, after watching HD, nothing ever really looks good in SD again.

cool Ill try those settings for sure, I just remember my 50" plasma being really really good SD PQ, Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks for your suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)