Help me decide on a new TV

Centex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Waco, TX
Hey guys, I figured that you all were the experts on new TVs and diplays, so I thought I would gather your thoughts about a new living room TV. What I am looking at is moving my 55" LCD to our covered porch, moving our patio TV to a bedroom, and replacing the living room TV with a 60" either LED or Plasma.

Anyway, I am trying to decide which to focus on. I like the idea of the rich colors of a plasma, but I am a little worried about glare. I don't have a separate Media room. The TV would be mounted above a fireplace on the west wall. My living room does not have any windows on the east or west walls. The south wall has windows, but they are 20 feet from the living room on a dining room (it is an open floorplan house). The north wall is glass doors, but they open onto the covered patio. I guess the room has a lot of light, but does not have any "sunbeams", but it also does not have a way for me to control the light during the daytime.

This TV will be used for a variety of things--Mostly movies and TV shows. The majority of sports we watch are on Saturdays in the fall (college football), and we occasionally play Wii on it, although we are by no means hardcore gamers.

Thanks in advance for your help, and I appreciate all your opinions.

I like plasmas better than LED's because the colors are much better and you get a much nicer. I have a Panasonic myself and love it.

The LED's PQ is not as good to me, but the pluses are they are much lighter, use less electricity and cheaper.

As far as the light goes, that is hard for me to judge as I can't see how bright it gets in there... is the sun shining directly on the wall or just bright in the room? if its just bright in the room a Plasma will be ok.

Did you move your 55"LCD yet? I haven't tried this myself, so not sure what the results will be vs a Plasma TV. Try holding a piece of glass in front of your LCD and see if there's any noticeable reflections. I know plasma screens are glass and coated, but it may give you some idea on the glare.

I know, it is hard to describe. I don't have any sun shining directly into the room. The window placement and the porches prevent that. There are a lot of windows, but is is just a bright room. The sun doesn't shine directly into the room anywhere.

I just replaced my 60in living room tv a couple of months ago due to lightening strike. I was afraid I would have problems with reflections and glare from my dining room windows and the north wall of my living room has 2 windows flanking the fireplace. I took my 50in LG Plasma out of my bedroom and put it in the living room for a week to try and the glare and reflections annoyed the heck out of me. Even with the wood shutters closed it was annoying. I ended up moving tv's around between my main house and my lake house and buying a new led for my main house living room

I ended up going with an LG 60in LED LG 60LN5710. After turning off a lot of auto controls and tweaking, IMO it has as good a picture as my 50in plasma. Of course there are some differences in picture quality between the LED and Plasma but either one can give an amazing picture if adjusted right. I've been really impressed with how good preseason football has looked on the LED.

I have a 60" LG plasma and two 42" Samsung plasmas. I think the glare off the Samsungs are a little less than the LG, but it's still a great TV.

I would go plasma all the way. I wouldn't worry about the glare. If you get one that ends up having too much glare then just return it. Other than a couple little LEDs for bedrooms I only have one LED TV and that is for use in my tailgate trailer (due to the fact that I think the glass on the plasma would shatter as I drove it down the road to games). I have several Panasonics and still have my Pioneer Kuro as well and love them all. What kind of budget are you looking at?

There are some really nice LED's out there. My favorite set is my Sharp 844. Love it more than my plasma and I don't have to worry about IR/Burn in when I watch news all day or sports with tickers.

S~

When I bought my plasma for the bedroom, I stuck it out in my 4 season room just to check the glare. Plenty of windows, mostly facing S & W. I'm glad I went with an LCD in the 4 season. Glare was too much for me to handle.

There are some really nice LED's out there. My favorite set is my Sharp 844. Love it more than my plasma and I don't have to worry about IR/Burn in when I watch news all day or sports with tickers.

S~

You don't have to worry about IR/Burn in with plasma either. I have played lots of games and watched sports for literally days at a time and have never had any burn in on any plasma I've ever owned (all panasonics and pioneers). Once I got some IR on a Panny right after I got it (ESPN logo/bar), but it went away in literally 5 mins of watching something without a ticker.

Thanks for the input. I think I am going with the Panasonic P60ST60. I have to wait until November when my bonus check arrives!
?

You don't have to worry about IR/Burn in with plasma either. I have played lots of games and watched sports for literally days at a time and have never had any burn in on any plasma I've ever owned (all panasonics and pioneers). Once I got some IR on a Panny right after I got it (ESPN logo/bar), but it went away in literally 5 mins of watching something without a ticker.
Tell that to my plasma.

S~

Tell that to my plasma.

S~

Mine too. I had burn in a couple of weeks after I got my 50in LG plasma last year. Went away after a couple of days. I just moved my dads stuff back into his house after being out 3 weeks for repairs and remodel from a water leak and his 60in LG he got at Xmas has burn in from the dish screen saver. Which is surprising because the TV is never on long enough for that to come up before someone pushes a button and it goes to video.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Ive had Panny plasmas for many years, while even with the new ones you will from time to time get image retention that is temporary and will fade in a few minutes of watching something else, true burn in, which was a major problem of early plasmas, is by and large a non issue with the new generations.

I think many use the terms interchangeably, when they are two different things.

Mine too. I had burn in a couple of weeks after I got my 50in LG plasma last year. Went away after a couple of days. I just moved my dads stuff back into his house after being out 3 weeks for repairs and remodel from a water leak and his 60in LG he got at Xmas has burn in from the dish screen saver. Which is surprising because the TV is never on long enough for that to come up before someone pushes a button and it goes to video.

If it went away you didn't have burn in. As I said. Burn in is really no longer an issue. If someone has a plasma that is less than 7 years old with burn in I would love to hear how you achieved that.

If it went away you didn't have burn in. As I said. Burn in is really no longer an issue. If someone has a plasma that is less than 7 years old with burn in I would love to hear how you achieved that.

Run the Fox News, or any other similar logo, for extended periods of time. Or leave finding Nemo running in a loop over the weekend.

S~

Run the Fox News, or any other similar logo, for extended periods of time. Or leave finding Nemo running in a loop over the weekend.

S~

And you are saying this resulted in burn in or image retention? I watch rspn for literally 12+ hour sessions and have no issues at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts