Help me decide...switch to Dish or stay with Direct

krmatth

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2005
Centerville, OH
I've been a DirecTV sub since they bought out PrimeStar and, while I've had my complaints, noting has been bad enough to make me consider switching. Now, with the Versus drop, Sunday Ticket price increase, and the impending Feb package price increase, I'm compelled to at least consider what Dish has to offer. Can anyone tell me if all NHL Center Ice games are offered in HD (assuming there is an HD broadcast of course) and, does Dish offer both home and away feeds? I've given up on hoping that DirecTV will care enough about their subs who want to watch the NHL playoffs and "settle" the Versus issue. I have no commitment remaining and would make the move as soon as the regular season, and my Center Ice subscription, ends. Any info is appreciated.

I've been a DirecTV sub since they bought out PrimeStar and, while I've had my complaints, noting has been bad enough to make me consider switching. Now, with the Versus drop, Sunday Ticket price increase, and the impending Feb package price increase, I'm compelled to at least consider what Dish has to offer. Can anyone tell me if all NHL Center Ice games are offered in HD (assuming there is an HD broadcast of course) and, does Dish offer both home and away feeds? I've given up on hoping that DirecTV will care enough about their subs who want to watch the NHL playoffs and "settle" the Versus issue. I have no commitment remaining and would make the move as soon as the regular season, and my Center Ice subscription, ends. Any info is appreciated.

NHL CI on DISH offers the home and away feeds a lot of the time. Some of the games are in HD depending on what market they come from. NY/NJ/Buffalo all on MSG are almost never in HD unless they play away teams who telecast everything in HD or the game is on NHL Network or Versus.

I can't speak for all the other markets because I don't regularly watch those games.

Please note that a few years ago, DISH had the same issue with Versus, and the channel was off for most of the season until the playoffs.

Also, I did a cost comparison of programming between the two, since I had the same thoughts you did, and decided that after the promotional period ends I would be paying about a dollar less with DISH. And that doesn't include the $200 I'd have to pay upfront for hardware because I want dedicated receivers for each TV. I was almost ready to switch until they hit me with that one.

So, to sum up, the grass is always greener over the LNB!

Please note that a few years ago, DISH had the same issue with Versus, and the channel was off for most of the season until the playoffs.

Also, I did a cost comparison of programming between the two, since I had the same thoughts you did, and decided that after the promotional period ends I would be paying about a dollar less with DISH. And that doesn't include the $200 I'd have to pay upfront for hardware because I want dedicated receivers for each TV. I was almost ready to switch until they hit me with that one.

WOW. I didn't know about the equipment cost issue. Guess it's best to wait this out. fkent484, thanks for the info on CI. Go Pens!

Basically that is true with my setup coming back to Dish from DirecTV needed 2 TVs connected had to have 2 dishes.

Local installer came out changed out my old LNB(instead of needing a separate switch the switch is now builtin the LNB).

Hooked up the Dish separators and we were watching TV on both TVs with only one cable coming into the house.

Dish's one cable solution to me is better than DirecTV's SWM solution which is expensive.

So for myself it showed that Dish has the better(cheaper) solution for the need to run only one cable in the house solution.

This is with one Dish 625 which is a Dual tuner receiver DVR and can operate 2 TVs separate from each other in Dual Mode.

WOW. I didn't know about the equipment cost issue. Guess it's best to wait this out. fkent484, thanks for the info on CI. Go Pens!

Equipment cost could be zero or some other number depending on how many units you need. I've got a 722k HDDVR and a 625 SDDVR and I didn't pay anything upfront for either, and could have gotten another HDDVR instead of the 625 if I had a use for it.

Equipment cost could be zero or some other number depending on how many units you need. I've got a 722k HDDVR and a 625 SDDVR and I didn't pay anything upfront for either, and could have gotten another HDDVR instead of the 625 if I had a use for it.

Need 5...3 HD and 2 SD. At least 1 DVR

The 2 reasons I have Dish rather than DirecTV are:
DirecTV doesn't have my locals, Dish does (even in HD now). And with the OTA, I can record 3 shows at one time.
Dish can drive 2 TVs with 1 DVR, which for me is important. I can watch recorded shows in the bedroom or my main TV.

My local cable obviously has the locals, but 1 DVR per TV like DirecTV. And fewer channels in HD.

Need 5...3 HD and 2 SD. At least 1 DVR

You could go for 2 622 or 722s and use them in dual mode. That would give you 2 HDDVRs which would also feed 2 SD tvs. You should be able to get that for no upfront hardware costs.

One additional HD receiver would cost you upfront.

Do you use all 5 tvs at once? If not, then you can twiddle the config a bit.

I know it's part of the training currently being provided to CSRs, can probably be confirmed with a call. ;)

I emailed Dish just last week about leasing a 5th tuner and here is part of the reply:

"Thank you for your email. We do apologize for the inconvenience. Upon further looking into this, I see that we are no longer able to offer to lease an additional Hd receiver. Only a purchase option is available for this matter. If you are interested in purchasing a receiver, you can call our Customer Service Center at
1-800-894-9131 at your convenience."

Hopefully a change is in the offing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)