Help Needed! Loss of Dolby Digital Audio on three channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Idlewild

Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
We recently lost Dolby Digital audio on only certain channels, namely UHD 74 along with two local HD Stations fed by OTA. Whereas the loss of DD on UHD was constant the loss of DD on two local HD channels was periodic.

Todate, DTV has eliminated the followings as possible causes:

HDMI and Optical cables
HR200-700 DTV DVR
Denon AVR 987
Sony KDF46E2000 HDTV

DTV thinks the actual dish and or its components may be the problem.

I am hoping to hear from someone that has the same or better yet "had" and solved the same problem.

All comments welcomed~
Lp

What programs are you watching?

For example, most of the programs on Universal HD are actually not DD 5.1. I think the only one that is was BSG and a movie here or there. Otherwise they do just plain Dolby Stereo.

As for the networks, again only some programs are actually DD, many are not. And some stations are not equipped to pass DD at all even if the program from the network is in DD.

What programs are you watching?

For example, most of the programs on Universal HD are actually not DD 5.1. I think the only one that is was BSG and a movie here or there. Otherwise they do just plain Dolby Stereo.

As for the networks, again only some programs are actually DD, many are not. And some stations are not equipped to pass DD at all even if the program from the network is in DD.

Thanks for your reply.

One day we had DD through my Denon 987 from 74, the next day zero DD period. No Dolby anything on 74. Switch DD off on the HR20 then PCM on 74. No matter the broadcast on 74 no DD.

As for local CBS HD 11.1. When set to DTV channel 11 HD, DD when broadcast. When set to 11.1 OTA CBS HD, no DD when it should be DD. This problem does go and come.

Resolution, solution or something like that.

To All,

Cutting to the chase the problem is resolved, but as you will discover the resolution is as strange and mysterious as was the problem. This is going to take a bit of explaining so hang in there with me.

.....status as of this afternoon.
As of 3:30 today there still was no audio from Ch 74 UHD or Ch 11.1 OTA CBS HD Dallas plus Ch. 11 CBS HD (DTV) (no previous problems).

......a New Denon AVR 987 (2807) is Purchased
To prove to DTV that my Denon AVR was not the problem I went to CC, and after explaining the situation in detail purchased a new identical Denon AVR 987.

......the coxial factor
In the mean time I disconnected the twin sat coxial cables and single OTA coxial from the Monster 3600 MkII then reconnected them directly to the DTV HR20-700 (bypassed DTV filters also).

....the Monster factor
I took a brief break and looked over my emails whereupon I discovered a reply from another forum telling me that my Monster power center was only rated for 2.5GHZ and the new DTV spec. for coxial cabling is now 3.0 GHZ. A quick call to Monster confirmed this distressing fact. Additional quick research revealed that their is no major AV power protection device on the retail market meeting the 3.0 GHZ specification.!!!

....the "new" Denon 987 goes online
Next, I moved all necessary cabling from the existing Denon AVR to the "new" identical twin Denon AVR. Powered her up and bigger than life there was DD in all its glory on Channels 74, 11.1 and 11! I immediately said to myself that it was my original Denon's fault all along.

.....the room is spinning, my mind is whirling
Here is where we go into the twilight zone again! I disconnect the new Denon AVR and re-install the original Denon AVR. Likewise all coxials are returned to their original positions (routed through the Monster power center and through the DTV filters) and of course reconnect to the HR20-700.

......I pick up my Harman Kardon TC30 Remote Control
The Denon AVR, TV and DTV HR20 all come to life.......Channel 74 appears and................it is in Dolbly Digital! A quick switch to 11 and 11.1 reveals that all three work flawlessly.

.......So what was the real cause of the problem?
I don't have a clue as to the cause of the problem

.......So what action solved the problem?
I don't have a clue as the the solution either. All I know is that it works.

Postscript
I cancelled the late afternoon DTV service call. Returned the "new" Denon AVR along with a new multi-switch that I purchased just in case it was needed. Went home and tried to explain it all to my bride of 28 years after which she took me out for a nice supper at our local diner.

That is it friends, I really don't know what else I can see but simply that all is back to normal. If there is such a thing as normal for a DTV Customer!

Comments welcomed.

I sincerely thank you all for the help and support.
L.Patrick
confused.gif

Could have been something as simple as a loose cable or even some dust on the end of the optical cable which cleared when you unplugged it. Hard to say.

But it sounds like you need to keep an eye on that Monster device.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Why can't channels be grouped?

Is Moving enough to get out of your contract?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)