Is Moving enough to get out of your contract?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aec4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 26, 2005
We're moving in a month... is moving enough to get out of our contract? I don't think I want to put a dish on my roof.

I think you'd have to get something that says you are unable to get line of sight or something.

Instead what you're talking about is like moving down the street and using that to get out of a cell phone contract. You're still able to get service, contract still applies.

Thanks, but I found out I can get out directly from D* itself... now will I will depend on some factors.

It's called I don't want the dish on my roof factor so I bitch and complain when they come out there and try to put it on my roof. It will make an issue about it and D will let me out my contract. I won't do the honorable thing and just pay a cancellation fee.

It's called I don't want the dish on my roof factor so I bitch and complain when they come out there and try to put it on my roof. It will make an issue about it and D will let me out my contract. I won't do the honorable thing and just pay a cancellation fee.

Roof mounting is not the only option, so if the installer can find a LOS somewhere else that does not involve a roof mount (eaves/facia, wall, under eave, pole & concrete) you may get burned no matter how much you complain.

i gotta tell you when my slimline was installed in february i was absolutely positive the installer wouldn't find a space near my apartment without putting the dish on the roof....which was the last option.

this guy was great, he found a little cubby hole on the eaves/facia and even double braced the dish to keep it in place. i have no problems yet and its been through a few really bad rain storms. now, a tropical storm/hurricane might produce a different result. but i was quite pleased. :)

Actually it's called the "Send the equipment back to us and your commitment is gone" factor if you need to know.....

Actually it's called the "Send the equipment back to us and your commitment is gone" factor if you need to know.....

You better read that contract again, since the fee for breaking your contract early is entirely different from the fee for failing to return equipment.

From the DirecTV website:

CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR FAILURE TO ACTIVATE PROGRAMMING OR SATISFY YOUR PROGRAMMING COMMITMENT. If you fail to activate all of your DIRECTV equipment in accordance with this Equipment Lease Addendum, you agree that DIRECTV or an authorized DIRECTV Retailer may charge you a fee, as liquidated damages, of $150 for each receiver that is not activated. If you fail to maintain your minimum programming commitment, you agree that DIRECTV may charge you a prorated fee of up to $150 for standard receivers and up to $300 for advanced products/receivers (e.g., DVR, HD, HD DVR, etc.).

RETURN OF DIRECTV EQUIPMENT. If you cease to be DIRECTV's customer for any reason (whether voluntarily or involuntarily) or if you decide to disconnect/cancel/terminate your DVR service or HD Access fee (if you are leasing a DVR or HD Receiver), you must call DIRECTV within seven (7) days after the termination of your DIRECTV programming services, DVR service or HD Access fee, as applicable, to (i) make arrangements for DIRECTV to pick up all your DIRECTV equipment; or (ii) obtain information from DIRECTV necessary to arrange for a ground or air freight service to pick up and deliver all of your DIRECTV equipment to DIRECTV. You acknowledge that the DIRECTV equipment belongs to DIRECTV and the DIRECTV equipment, including the access card inserted into each receiver, must be returned to DIRECTV in good working order, normal wear and tear excepted. In the event that all of the DIRECTV equipment is not returned to DIRECTV within thirty (30) days of the termination of your DIRECTV programming services or is damaged when it is returned to DIRECTV, you agree to pay DIRECTV the sum of $55 per each DIRECTV standard receiver; $200 for each DIRECTV DVR Receiver; $240 for each DIRECTV HD Receiver; or $470 for each DIRECTV HD DVR Receiver that is not returned to DIRECTV or that is damaged when it is returned to DIRECTV as compensation for a portion of the expenses incurred by DIRECTV in establishing your account and providing you the DIRECTV equipment for your use. Visit DIRECTV.com or call 1-800-531-5000 for details.

Emphasis added.

Didn't forget a thing... talked with D* directly, and they told me, and since have faxed me in WRITING, that if I send equipment back I pay 0 penalty, but of course, you guys are right, and the paperwork I have is dead wrong!

Didn't forget a thing... talked with D* directly, and they told me, and since have faxed me in WRITING, that if I send equipment back I pay 0 penalty, but of course, you guys are right, and the paperwork I have is dead wrong!
Lets see the paperwork !! I know for a FACT D* is not going to send you anything in writing. I've asked for a number of letters in writing .They don't do that.Them charging me $750 for NFL package,I didn't get nothing in writing for promising not to do it again. That was their 3rd offence too.Post your faxed letter and prove us wrong ,Then we can pass this along to other with this problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Help Needed! Loss of Dolby Digital Audio on three channels

What can I expect?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)