OTHER Help New To Free Satellite TV First KU Band Dish Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

newtofreesat

Original poster
Dec 10, 2021
New York
Hello All,

My name is Michael and I'm new here and new to Free Satellite TV here in the Northeastern United States. I am installing a 76 cm Winegard DS-2076 dish using a GTMEDIA V7 S2X receiver and a WNC Universal LNBF. I want to keep the dish fixed without the use of a motor. I am trying to receive 97W Galaxy 19. According to dishpointer.com, these are my dish setup data: Elevation 37.4 Azimuth (magn.) 225.8 LNB Skew: 24.5. I am able to get a Signal Strength of approximately 90 (which I have heard doesn't mean much!) but no Signal Quality at all (0). I will include pictures of almost everything I have done. It seems like everything as far as setting up the dish is okay and my mount is plumb. I am using a compass to determine the azimuth and also checking with an Azimuth Compass phone app. Additionally, to locate the azimuth, I have tried moving the dish slowly back and forth but still nothing seems to change with Signal Quality. Therefore, I am wondering if the problem is with setting up my receiver. Please advise! Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! Also, if you are in a place where you can commute to NYC, I am willing to pay if you are able to come and finish up the setup with me. I've been putting lots of time into this setup to no avail, so I am certainly open to having someone here come and finish the setup! Looking forward to hearing from you all soon! Happy to be getting started in the Free Satellite TV hobby! Now to the pictures:

ELEVATION (37.4)
Elevation.jpg

LNB SKEW (24.5)
LNB Skew.jpg

LNB Details
LNB Details.jpg

MOUNT (plumb)
Plumb Mount.jpeg

Receiver Setup:
Receiver Setup (1).jpg
Receiver Setup (2).jpg

Welcome, newtofreesat !

Good job so far, but... try the LNBskew in the other direction!
Positive skew number means clockwise in the direction of the satellite, so counterclockwise when looking into the parabolic dish.
In your photo it looks the other way round.

When finding a satellite is difficult, I usually use a cheap satellite beeper, to find some satellite signal at all. And then I can determine, if I landed on the wanted satellite, or a neighbouring one. From there, it is not so difficult.
Another way would be using the sun, to find the correct azimuth direction. When you have that direction (but you need to be at the site at the proper time of day, and the sun must shine), all that is needed further is to check the elevation.

But maybe, with corrected LNB skew, you can find 97W already.

Greetz,
A33

I'd say a33 is correct. Based on how precisely you described all you have done, the first thing I suspected was skew direction. I bet you a "looney" when you correct that then you'll be receiving Russia Today in no time.

The next bet is how many days will pass before you're going to want a motor for your dish. There is lots to receive on Ku but you need to be able to point your dish at different satellites.

Reactions: c-spand and FTA4PA
:welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Also, for now turn 22k on instead of auto. This will insure it is setup correctly.
Remember you are trying to hit something over 22k miles away. It will take time moving your dish and watching your quality meter. Also, the meter on receivers does not lock instantly as you pass the signal, so you will have to move very slowly. Once hit your first signal, it will get easier. That first time though can take a little work.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Welcome, newtofreesat !

Good job so far, but... try the LNBskew in the other direction!
Positive skew number means clockwise in the direction of the satellite, so counterclockwise when looking into the parabolic dish.
In your photo it looks the other way round.

When finding a satellite is difficult, I usually use a cheap satellite beeper, to find some satellite signal at all. And then I can determine, if I landed on the wanted satellite, or a neighbouring one. From there, it is not so difficult.
Another way would be using the sun, to find the correct azimuth direction. When you have that direction (but you need to be at the site at the proper time of day, and the sun must shine), all that is needed further is to check the elevation.

But maybe, with corrected LNB skew, you can find 97W already.

Greetz,
A33
Thanks so much! I truly appreciate it! I tried the LNB Skew but still probably need to make an adjustment to the azimuth as it is still not working.

Reactions: c-spand
I'd say a33 is correct. Based on how precisely you described all you have done, the first thing I suspected was skew direction. I bet you a "looney" when you correct that then you'll be receiving Russia Today in no time.

The next bet is how many days will pass before you're going to want a motor for your dish. There is lots to receive on Ku but you need to be able to point your dish at different satellites.
Thanks so much! I truly appreciate it! I tried the LNB Skew but still probably need to make an adjustment to the azimuth as it is still not working.

Reactions: c-spand
:welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Also, for now turn 22k on instead of auto. This will insure it is setup correctly.
Remember you are trying to hit something over 22k miles away. It will take time moving your dish and watching your quality meter. Also, the meter on receivers does not lock instantly as you pass the signal, so you will have to move very slowly. Once hit your first signal, it will get easier. That first time though can take a little work.
Thanks so much! I truly appreciate it! I will give that a try tomorrow!

Reactions: KE4EST and c-spand
When I was first trying to hit Galaxy 19, I found the elevation was causing me trouble. The numbers on the back assume there is a perfectly level base, which mine apparently wasn't. I just kept moving the dish slowly upward/downward until I got a signal.
Amazingly enough, when I finally got a signal, I tried rotating the LNB (skew) and it didn't seem to change my signal much. I really don't understand how this was possible, since everyone is pointing to the skew not being exactly right will cause problems. But I wanted to test how important that was, and found I could be pretty sloppy with skew and still had a signal.

Reactions: arlo
When I was first trying to hit Galaxy 19, I found the elevation was causing me trouble. The numbers on the back assume there is a perfectly level base, which mine apparently wasn't. I just kept moving the dish slowly upward/downward until I got a signal.
Amazingly enough, when I finally got a signal, I tried rotating the LNB (skew) and it didn't seem to change my signal much. I really don't understand how this was possible, since everyone is pointing to the skew not being exactly right will cause problems. But I wanted to test how important that was, and found I could be pretty sloppy with skew and still had a signal.
There's the catch phrase. You finally got a signal on a strong tp didn't you, most probably?
Try a V & H set of weak transponders where a signal isn't plowing into the lnbf. I bet you'll see a big difference in how tweaking skew is important. I bet your dish is fixed on 97W, right?

Reactions: jessica6
Yes, this was on Galaxy 19 (97W ). But his leads me back to a question I asked a while back when trying to hit other satellites: "Are some stronger than others?" As of now, I've never been able to hit anything but 97W.

Does your dish come with anything specifying what the elevation marker is? On some, it's not the edge of the bracket, it's the center of the bolt. (Stupid, I know.)

Yes, this was on Galaxy 19 (97W ). But his leads me back to a question I asked a while back when trying to hit other satellites: "Are some stronger than others?" As of now, I've never been able to hit anything but 97W.

Depending on where you are, some are stronger than others. 97W is only average strength for me. You really ought to be able to hit 95W, that's by far the strongest for me.

Maybe this helps. Maybe it don't. Tell me.
In the case of dn or direc multi lnbf's skew becomes quite important.
On a single lnb you may have strong signal and turning the dish (offset type) or lnb (prime focus) on a single sat makes little difference. With a multi you find sig. is low or lost completely on the others. Depending on who you aim at first. In my little corel drawin' here the red lines show when you're skewed good. And the greenish lines show why sats either side of the one you have a good signal on just plain....don't. Yes? No?

Attachments

• Skew_Triple.JPG
    Skew_Triple.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 133
Thanks so much! I appreciate your help! It seems like no matter what I do, nothing changes.

Does your dish come with anything specifying what the elevation marker is? On some, it's not the edge of the bracket, it's the center of the bolt. (Stupid, I know.)

Depending on where you are, some are stronger than others. 97W is only average strength for me. You really ought to be able to hit 95W, that's by far the strongest for me.
Thanks so much for your help! It's truly appreciated! Someone else I had mentioned it to told me that they think it is the metal piece right behind the bolt. The dish didn't come with anything unfortunately.

Maybe this helps. Maybe it don't. Tell me.
In the case of dn or direc multi lnbf's skew becomes quite important.
On a single lnb you may have strong signal and turning the dish (offset type) or lnb (prime focus) on a single sat makes little difference. With a multi you find sig. is low or lost completely on the others. Depending on who you aim at first. In my little corel drawin' here the red lines show when you're skewed good. And the greenish lines show why sats either side of the one you have a good signal on just plain....don't. Yes? No?
Thanks so much for your help! I truly appreciate it! For some reason, it's still not working.

Hello All,

My name is Michael and I'm new here and new to Free Satellite TV here in the Northeastern United States. I am installing a 76 cm Winegard DS-2076 dish using a GTMEDIA V7 S2X receiver and a WNC Universal LNBF. I want to keep the dish fixed without the use of a motor. I am trying to receive 97W Galaxy 19. According to dishpointer.com, these are my dish setup data: Elevation 37.4 Azimuth (magn.) 225.8 LNB Skew: 24.5. I am able to get a Signal Strength of approximately 90 (which I have heard doesn't mean much!) but no Signal Quality at all (0). I will include pictures of almost everything I have done. It seems like everything as far as setting up the dish is okay and my mount is plumb. I am using a compass to determine the azimuth and also checking with an Azimuth Compass phone app. Additionally, to locate the azimuth, I have tried moving the dish slowly back and forth but still nothing seems to change with Signal Quality. Therefore, I am wondering if the problem is with setting up my receiver. Please advise! Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! Also, if you are in a place where you can commute to NYC, I am willing to pay if you are able to come and finish up the setup with me. I've been putting lots of time into this setup to no avail, so I am certainly open to having someone here come and finish the setup! Looking forward to hearing from you all soon! Happy to be getting started in the Free Satellite TV hobby! Now to the pictures:

ELEVATION (37.4) View attachment 154983

LNB SKEW (24.5)View attachment 154984

LNB Details View attachment 154986

MOUNT (plumb) View attachment 154987

Receiver Setup: View attachment 154988 View attachment 154989
Welcome to Satellite Guys newtofreesat! As others have said it appears you have done a great job of researching and setting up your dish. I know it can be frustrating when you put all that effort into it and are not getting results.

It appears nobody has mentioned this yet so I will ask. I see you are in New York City. Is there any possibilty that your line of sight to 97W is being blocked by an object (building, pole, tree, etc)?

A photo from directy behind the dish of where you believe 97W to be might be helpful in looking for obstructions.

Last edited:
Also, have you tried blind scanning? It can help to blind scan, move the dish a bit, then blind scan again. Repeat this changing azimuth or elevation a very little each time. Maybe your dish pointing for some reason is just not accurate.

To add to the previous posts:

Chicking the azimuth direction: On Dec 17, 97W should be at the same azimuth as the sun, at about UTC 19:09 hours (at 40.7N, 74.0W).
Source: Satellite Look Angle Calculator
Just subtract the difference of your local time with UTC, to find your local time.
(Put some string or some tape from the top of the dish to the LNB, and then at the proper time, the shadow of that string/tape should be exactly at the center of the dish.)

Does that seem about the angle that you have for your dish, ATM?

Signal strength on your photo indicates there is a good LNB connection.
12152H20000 is indeed on 97W, according to lyngsat (but I cannot confirm, myself).
So I see nothing wrong, on those points.

Can you maybe take one or more pictures of the dish, from the side, and from the front? So that we can have an overview of how that looks like?

Greetz,
A33

Welcome to Satellite Guys newtofreesat! As others have said it appears you have done a great job of researching and setting up your dish. I know it can be frustrating when you put all that effort into it and are not getting results.

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Replay
Unmute

Current Time 0:19
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 0.00%

0:19
Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:00

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen
This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.
TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent
BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent
WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%
Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow
Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog
End of dialog window.​

It appears nobody has mentioned this yet so I will ask. I see you are in New York City. Is there any possibilty that your line of sight to 97W is being blocked by an object (building, pole, tree, etc)?

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Replay
Unmute

Current Time 0:19
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 0.00%

0:19
Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:00

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen
This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.
TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent
BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent
WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%
Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow
Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog
End of dialog window.​

A photo from directy behind the dish of where you believe 97W to be might be helpful in looking for obstruct

A photo from directy behind the dish of where you believe 97W to be might be helpful in looking for obstructions.
Thanks for your suggestion! I truly appreciate it! I am certainly hoping for that not to be the case! Truly looking forward to the Free Satellite TV Hobby! Hoping it all works!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)