Help Please - External Hard Drive Stopped Working

jayiw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Hello,

I noticed my external hard drive was no longer being recognized via my Hopper 3. I've had it for years with if I had to guess maybe a hundred movies or so. I am getting error 865 which is asking me to reformat the drive to work with the Hopper which it already did for years. I did all the resetting/unplugging of the receiver and hard drive itself. I called Dish support and they basically told me something must have went wrong with the HD and to reformat it. I really do not want to loose all of my movies. Does anyone know if there is anything else that I can do or have Dish do? Can a DIRT Member contact me?

Thank you,
Jay

Reactions: Woody469
You can try to contact Dirt, but all they can do is authorize a HIT, but this does not sound like a situation where that would help. Drives do die. It's happened to a lot of us.

Learn a little Linux.

Format a new EHD with your H3.

Copy the DishArc folder from the old EHD to the new EHD using Linux.

If the actual programs are not corrupted, they will now play.

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks. I ended up formatting the drive. Wife was furious that she lost her stuff. She only had a few things, I had maybe 100 or so. Ironically though, the only thing holding me back from changing over to fios was all of my movies and shows I had on my drive. Now with them gone, I may just in fact ditch Dish. Nothing to lose now. Not that is was their fault the drive failed or anything but Fios is SO much cheaper when you combine phone/internet/tv. Both neighbors on either side of me who have fios seem to be very happy with it. I am happy with Dish though, but man paying for everything separately has been killing my wallet..

Furious enough for you to spring for a hundred bucks for a RAID enclosure and then add two drives?

BTW, I believe SatelliteGal has FiOS and is happy with it. The "new" DVR is pretty good. But when I finally was able to pry actual prices out of the FiOS people/site, I found that after a couple years, they would be a good bit more expensive than Dish. I'd lose a channel or two, but gain 2-3.

Many friends of mine go back and forth between Dish, Directv, and cable every 2 years to get the best deals possible. They didn't have EHDs with Dish. They also don't store more than they would immediately watch on their internal drives. They totally take advantage of the industries business model to attract new customers as compared to retain current customers.

I chose not to do that. I've collected a few EHDs. I've been happy with Dish, until this CGUI was foisted upon us. I am dumbfounded that they would take such a step backwards.

If I did leave, I'd "cut the cord" or go with FiOS.

I chose not to do that. I've collected a few EHDs. I've been happy with Dish, until this CGUI was foisted upon us. I am dumbfounded that they would take such a step backwards.

If I did leave, I'd "cut the cord" or go with FiOS.

Cut the cord from what you have and move into a Hopper 3.

Hopper 3---the Daddy of All DVRs

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts