Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ghpr13

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Louisville, KY
I need a little help from this forum. I'm in Chicago visiting my Sister. Last Thursday she got D* installed and the Tech gave her a HR24, the Tech said he had just installed the last of the older DVRs at the house right before her installation :). Anyway, her HR24 is hooked up to her Toshiba 42HL167 LCD via HDMI.

The problem is that every so often, when you tune in a HD channel (like from the guide), there's no sound. All SD channels have sound. This happens when you record a HD program too, no sound. Now if after you tuned in the HD channel, or you start playing the HD recorded program, and you turn off the HR24, then turn it back on, you get sound.

I been thinking it's an HDMI handshaking issue, but this is just a guess on my part...(I'm a E* sub, so I'm not that up on D* dvrs). This is where I'm hoping someone here can help me. Is there any known issues with the HR24 and HD sound or HDMI issues?

Thank you for any replies,
Ghpr13:confused:

Last edited:
It may or may not fix it. I'm having an issue with my HR24-100 where it loses audio and then locks up a few times every night. It seems like an HDMI handshaking issue. These boxes are new and hopefully they will send a firmware update that fixes it.

Same comment as DJRob; it may or may not; I was asking what it was on currently and going to suggest trying to change it as a test. I would also suggest asking another local DirecTV user or even the local affiliate engineer if the audio is having issues.

If using hdmi, another test would be connecting with component & audio cables instead & see if that fixes the problem.

For whatever reason, sometimes I have to turn Dolby Digital off to receive sound on a certain movie. I'm not sure why, but this usually fixes the sound issue. This only happens once in a blue moon but it does happen. If that doesn't fix it then you have some type of HDMI problem.

It may or may not fix it. I'm having an issue with my HR24-100 where it loses audio and then locks up a few times every night. It seems like an HDMI handshaking issue. These boxes are new and hopefully they will send a firmware update that fixes it.

First, thanks to all who replied to my post. After changing the setting to DD, the same problem still is happening. I'm going to try the component inputs to see if that helps. One other thing, when tuned into an HD program last night that had no sound, we turned on the Audio Receiver and sound was coming from the speakers. So it either an HDMI handshaking issue or a HR24 issue.
BTW: Personally I use HDMI cables from MonoPrice.com, but this HDMI cable came from D*, but other than being a damaged cable, I would think it would be OK?

Ghpr13:(

Last edited:
Do I read that you are using a spearate AV receiver in the mix? If so, when you have DD set to ON in the DirecTV unit your AV receive will need the ability to detect and auto switch between DD and non-DD audio as not all programs will have DD.

If you do not have this ability in your AV receiver or you do no have it setup correctly (which was my case back in the day) when it is set to DD and a non-DD source comes thru, there will be no audio or maybe only one channel that is constant.

If you dont have this ability you can turn OFF DD in the DirecTV unit and setup the AV unit to a non-DD use. If you have audio audio mode (like I do) you can set that up and it should work. Or you can switch to component video with composite audio (R/W)

If this isnt the case then you may have something that is defective.

Do I read that you are using a spearate AV receiver in the mix? If so, when you have DD set to ON in the DirecTV unit your AV receive will need the ability to detect and auto switch between DD and non-DD audio as not all programs will have DD.

If you do not have this ability in your AV receiver or you do no have it setup correctly (which was my case back in the day) when it is set to DD and a non-DD source comes thru, there will be no audio or maybe only one channel that is constant.

If you dont have this ability you can turn OFF DD in the DirecTV unit and setup the AV unit to a non-DD use. If you have audio audio mode (like I do) you can set that up and it should work. Or you can switch to component video with composite audio (R/W)

If this isnt the case then you may have something that is defective.

No, that's not the problem. When an HD channel is tuned in, sometimes there isn't any audio coming from the TV. Now if we turn on the audio receiver, the audio plays fine, so it doesn't have anything to do with the audio receiver. It has to be either a HDMI issue or an issue with the HR24. My Sister's fiance is going to disconnect the HDMI cable and try the component connections to see if they can get audio through the TV that way.

Ghpr13:)

No, that's not the problem. When an HD channel is tuned in, sometimes there isn't any audio coming from the TV. Now if we turn on the audio receiver, the audio plays fine, so it doesn't have anything to do with the audio receiver. It has to be either a HDMI issue or an issue with the HR24. My Sister's fiance is going to disconnect the HDMI cable and try the component connections to see if they can get audio through the TV that way.

So this is only audio going to the TV via HDMI, not to the AV receiver? Might be an issue or setting with your TV. You could just run the audio from your AV receiver instead.

So this is only audio going to the TV via HDMI, not to the AV receiver? Might be an issue or setting with your TV. You could just run the audio from your AV receiver instead.

Correct on the first question. I'm not sure what outputs are on their audio receiver. It appears it a rather older audio only receiver, not an A/V receiver. Even still, the problem is between the HR24 and their LCD TV. I'm back in Kentucky now so I'll have to call and see if there was sound from the TV when the HR24 was connected via the component out/in puts.

Some TVs have HDMI ports with RCA audio inputs (usually just one of the ports). You could try using the HDMI for the video and the RCA for audio if the TV has them.

Same issue. red button reboot fixes it, but it is a serious problem and seems to happen daily.

Update: It happens at specific points. Was recording the USC game and the receiver comes to a halt (no audio, intermittent video) at around 2 hours. Restarting fixes live tv, but the recording is hosed after 2 hours. Attempting to play it back causes the receiver to die again.

Last edited:
I've lost sound on my HR24-500 three times last 4 months and like stated above a reboot fixes the problem. Does not happen daily on mine.

Samsung tv?
ive seen this on installs before.
the audio and video is out of sync. if you use comp cables you will be fine.
also read this for Dish as well as DTV cable and Verizon

HD hdmi output
Something that was given to me by a good friend.
I've been a Dish Network Technician for some time now, and due to the increasing number of HD conversions and the low prices of HD televisions out there I have seen numerous HD related issues.
I will tell you that when you call Dish Network and prompt technical support through the menu you get nothing more than an $8 an hour Customer Service Rep sitting at a desk somewhere reading from a computer screen. Their only objective is to get you off the phone as quickly as possible. I wouldn't take anything they've said seriously if I had to. I as a technician always advise people to request to be transferred to an advanced technician for problematic issues. You can easily tell the difference between a tech and a csr through Disn Network because a tech will have a 4 digit id number (ie: "Hi my name is Brian, my tech id is 0000) a csr will have a 3 digit operator id number that always involves letters.
But in my experience as a tech, granted Dish Networks boxes are all mass produced in foregin countries so I definately wouldn't rule out bad HDMI ports on a few. But we're talking of less than a percent of a percent. There are no "software" issues involving the HDMI output of the boxes, it is simply an output it is hardwired to work and is not software driven. The only software on the boxes is used to decode the programming signal and to operate the system menu/program guide. As stated before the HDMI port is simply an output to the television just like the component/composite/rf, there is no software... It simply works, or it doesn't.
A vast majority of the issues lies either within your television set or your home electrical system. Some of the HD televisions (especially Samsungs in my experience) seem to want to backfeed power through the HDMI port into the settop box. In doing this it causes the reciever to have intermittent moments of stupidity and do such things as flash colored screens, disable audio, and even lose signal acquisition all together. The new Dish Network recievers (both the VIP and the K line. ie. VIP211, 222, 612, 622, 722, 211K, 222K, and 722K) work off of a constant current not a variable one like recievers of old used to, so any alteration in current within the reciever itself be it from the wall outlet or television itself can cause unexpected results from your reciever. This is not a stand alone problem with Dish Network recievers either, Time Warner and D****** customers are also experiencing similar issues.
After many service calls, reinstalling complete systems, and replacing recievers I have found that most often in cases such as these the TV's are the culprit.
A few tips to find out what the problem is:
1: Check the satellite junction (a silver block in which the cables from the dish meet the cables to the recievers) and ensure it is grounded to a NEC approved grounding location.
2: Verify through the Dish Network reciever via "Menu 6-1-1" (ie: the "Point Dish Screen) that your signal strength on all satellites is abouve the "minimum" (often 65 or greater) with the exception of the Eastern Arc 1000.4 (61.5, 72.7, 77 orbital locations) setup in which 50+ is ok.
3: Through the STB Health Life screen via "Menu 6-1-3 and under details" after test is complete ensure Values 0-9 report no abnormal numbers (-1, -2, 0, 2, 4, 200) are normal, something like 33 or 109 would be considered abnormal and depending on which value (0-9) is being reported could indicate reciever malfunction. If so call Dish Network (with Value info) an RA the reciever.
4: Lastly, if all above checks out ok. Disconnect the HDMI cable from the reciever and "drag" the metal end of the cable flat against the metal housing on the back of the reciever while the Tv is active on that input (ie: HDMI1, HDMI2 or w/e) and look for ANY form of static discharge or arcing between the two pieces of metal. (minimal to no lighting works best as this will not be a substansial arc, but will definately be visable). If this is the case, your television is "backfeeding" power into your satellite system, and is the resoning for your troubles. Switch to a component input and your problem will be resolved.

Samsung tv?
ive seen this on installs before.
the audio and video is out of sync. if you use comp cables you will be fine.
also read this for Dish as well as DTV cable and Verizon

HD hdmi output
Something that was given to me by a good friend.
I've been a Dish Network Technician for some time now, and due to the increasing number of HD conversions and the low prices of HD televisions out there I have seen numerous HD related issues.
I will tell you that when you call Dish Network and prompt technical support through the menu you get nothing more than an $8 an hour Customer Service Rep sitting at a desk somewhere reading from a computer screen. Their only objective is to get you off the phone as quickly as possible. I wouldn't take anything they've said seriously if I had to. I as a technician always advise people to request to be transferred to an advanced technician for problematic issues. You can easily tell the difference between a tech and a csr through Disn Network because a tech will have a 4 digit id number (ie: "Hi my name is Brian, my tech id is 0000) a csr will have a 3 digit operator id number that always involves letters.
But in my experience as a tech, granted Dish Networks boxes are all mass produced in foregin countries so I definately wouldn't rule out bad HDMI ports on a few. But we're talking of less than a percent of a percent. There are no "software" issues involving the HDMI output of the boxes, it is simply an output it is hardwired to work and is not software driven. The only software on the boxes is used to decode the programming signal and to operate the system menu/program guide. As stated before the HDMI port is simply an output to the television just like the component/composite/rf, there is no software... It simply works, or it doesn't.
A vast majority of the issues lies either within your television set or your home electrical system. Some of the HD televisions (especially Samsungs in my experience) seem to want to backfeed power through the HDMI port into the settop box. In doing this it causes the reciever to have intermittent moments of stupidity and do such things as flash colored screens, disable audio, and even lose signal acquisition all together. The new Dish Network recievers (both the VIP and the K line. ie. VIP211, 222, 612, 622, 722, 211K, 222K, and 722K) work off of a constant current not a variable one like recievers of old used to, so any alteration in current within the reciever itself be it from the wall outlet or television itself can cause unexpected results from your reciever. This is not a stand alone problem with Dish Network recievers either, Time Warner and D****** customers are also experiencing similar issues.
After many service calls, reinstalling complete systems, and replacing recievers I have found that most often in cases such as these the TV's are the culprit.
A few tips to find out what the problem is:
1: Check the satellite junction (a silver block in which the cables from the dish meet the cables to the recievers) and ensure it is grounded to a NEC approved grounding location.
2: Verify through the Dish Network reciever via "Menu 6-1-1" (ie: the "Point Dish Screen) that your signal strength on all satellites is abouve the "minimum" (often 65 or greater) with the exception of the Eastern Arc 1000.4 (61.5, 72.7, 77 orbital locations) setup in which 50+ is ok.
3: Through the STB Health Life screen via "Menu 6-1-3 and under details" after test is complete ensure Values 0-9 report no abnormal numbers (-1, -2, 0, 2, 4, 200) are normal, something like 33 or 109 would be considered abnormal and depending on which value (0-9) is being reported could indicate reciever malfunction. If so call Dish Network (with Value info) an RA the reciever.
4: Lastly, if all above checks out ok. Disconnect the HDMI cable from the reciever and "drag" the metal end of the cable flat against the metal housing on the back of the reciever while the Tv is active on that input (ie: HDMI1, HDMI2 or w/e) and look for ANY form of static discharge or arcing between the two pieces of metal. (minimal to no lighting works best as this will not be a substansial arc, but will definately be visable). If this is the case, your television is "backfeeding" power into your satellite system, and is the resoning for your troubles. Switch to a component input and your problem will be resolved.

al bundy,

I thank you for your lengthy reply, but I'm afraid you have some of the facts wrong. First, it's my sister TV which is a Toshiba. Second, this is the Direct HR24 DVR, and third, the sound on HD is not out of sync, there's no sound at all through the TV at times on HD programs until you turn the HR24 off then back on.

Now at my home, my Samsung is hooked up to my Dish VIP722k via HDMI, and has never had any HDMI issues. (With all due respect to Direct subs:).)

Last edited:
Switching audio from DD to PCM seems to have fixed the issues for me (for today at least). Hope others have succcess.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)