Help please

mcritt

Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
:confused:
Just posted this on the wrong forum.
Can anyone answer my ?
We just had dish network installed the day before yesterday.

That same morning I woke up and the reciever was making a fan typw noise...couldn't get it to work...called tech and she had me unplug it and reboot. Worked okay.

Last night my husband was having trouble sleeping and said the receiver started doing it again at 3:00 am and was still doing it when I woke up at 6:00. I did what the tech told me to do again and it worked.
My question is:
Is this the norm? Because it is a pain in the you know what! Should I call the people that installed or dish network about the problem could the reciever be defective?
Thanks

:confused:
Just posted this on the wrong forum.
Can anyone answer my ?
We just had dish network installed the day before yesterday.

That same morning I woke up and the reciever was making a fan typw noise...couldn't get it to work...called tech and she had me unplug it and reboot. Worked okay.

Last night my husband was having trouble sleeping and said the receiver started doing it again at 3:00 am and was still doing it when I woke up at 6:00. I did what the tech told me to do again and it worked.
My question is:
Is this the norm? Because it is a pain in the you know what! Should I call the people that installed or dish network about the problem could the reciever be defective?
Thanks
The first question is, do you have good air ventilation around the receiver? They require it to prevent over-heating which causes the behavior you described.

WELCOME!:welcome No that is not normal, I would call dish and have them come back out to recheck your installation.

Now do you have more than one reciver? Does it only happen on that one reciver or all the recivers in your house?

If its all of them, the problem is the switch or the eyes of the dish.

If its just that one reciver, then its the reciver itself or the wiring from the dish to the reciver.

3:am reboot is the factory default

What you are describing is the box rebooting.
3:am reboot is the facrory default reboot time for a VIP622/722.
You can change the time through the window but it will reboot once a day to load updated to the guide and firmware.

Make sure you have very good ventelation. I put a small fan from radioshack on the left side of my 622 and that solved my random reboot.

The box doesn't give good feedback that it is rebooting. Goes black for a while, fan runs, the screen shows the transdonder checks, finally shows the guide being downloaded.

Enjoy you new recevier!

VIP 622 AT250HD DPP 1000.2 L4.45 Net enabled
VIZIO VX42L LCD 720P HDTV
Zenith XBS344 DVD/VCR Surround Sound Audio Receiver
Panasonic DMR-E30 DVD Recorder
LG DN798 Up converting DVD Player
GoDVD CT-200 Video Enhancer (Digital Video Duplicator)
Duraband DWT1304 SD TV (Bedroom)
Colby 5” CX-TV6 TV Monitor
RF Modulator
3-way Digital Optical Switch
4-way AV Selector RS 15-1983
3-way RF Switch
External fan
APC Uninterruptible Power Supply

It just happens to that reciever. But that is the only hd reciever I have the other reciever is not fo an hd tv.

How long does it normally take to reboot?....because 3;00am - 6:00 am is a long time.It does not reset itself either.

Thanks

The reboot is normally a 5 minute at most process. Sounds like when the receiver does its update and reboot, it is getting stuck starting back up. I'd call for a replacement receiver.

It happens.

The notes about cooling though are very important. If the receiver is in a closed space, it can overheat EASILY.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)