Help Pointing my FTA Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hotwire132002

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
OK, now that my 30" dish is in, I could use a little help pointing it.

Here's the dealio: until my Pansat receiver comes in, I'm planning on pointing it at Anik F1, where I can pick up a couple MPEG-1.5 channels that my current (err... outdated) receiver can pick up.

A couple questions:

1) How do I figure out the skew? (ZIP 49601)

2) I know I have to change the Azimuth because of magnetic deviation or something like that.... how do I do that?

3) How do I find my elevation and azimuth? LyngSat's satellite tracker won't let me put in my longitude and latitude very accurately...

(By the way, they are lat 45.25, lon 85.40 according to some site I found a while back)

Anik F1 107 W.

Az=210 deg. (+/- Mag. Decli.)
Elev.= 34 deg.
Skew =20 deg.
Distance to satellite = 38340km

PSB said:
Anik F1 107 W.

Az=210 deg. (+/- Mag. Decli.)
Elev.= 34 deg.
Skew =20 deg.
Distance to satellite = 38340km

So with my magnetic declination, the Azimuth would be 215 degrees?

As to the skew, which way do I turn the LNB? The skew "gauge" starts at 0, and increases both ways.

I never checked your mag. declination. If your Magnetic Deviation is = +5 deg. Then yes 210 becomes 215. As for the skew....... + skew means Anti clockwise from front of dish, - skew means clockwise from front of dish!

PSB said:
I never checked your mag. declination. If your Magnetic Deviation is = +5 deg. Then yes 210 becomes 215. As for the skew....... + skew means Anti clockwise from front of dish, - skew means clockwise from front of dish!

Forgot to mention, the site you gave me told me +5 degrees. D'OH!

Thanks for the help with the skew! I get the feeling this will all get a bit easier when the Pansat comes in, my current receiver is pretty non-user friendly...

Its good practise : )

I put a post in the FAQ area about skew.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts