HELP...Possible Bad Transponder Reception & Dish wants a $50 Service Call

kirkdj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
I live in La., and have a DVR 522 super dish with a DPP44 that I'm having a signal loss problem. There is a large tree close by where this dish is pointed, but until recently have always gotten good reception. If I check the systen info it says all my signals are good on 110, 119, 121, 129. The DISH rep had me check the signal strength of different transponders on the 4 satellites. On some of the sats I get good signals on most but on some of the transponders I get a 0 signal. Am I suppose to get a signal on every transponder on every sat. ?
Like on sat. 110, transponders 7, 8, 18, 20, 27, have 0 signal.
On sat. 119, transponders 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, have a 0 signal.
On sat 121, transponders 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, 12, 19, 20, 23, 24, 27, 28, 31, 32 have 0 signals.
On sat 129, I get ALL the transponders with good signals.

I wanted to make sure that the rep was correct in saying that there seems to be a problem with the switch or the LNB (I think thats what she called it) and I'm not wasting a $50 service call on someone to align my dish properly or put to move it in another location as should have been done during initial installation. I had the HD channels added a couple of months ago and that installer put the 2nd dish about 25 ft. further out to avoid that tree I mentioned. I'm wondering if thats what needs to be done with this super dish? But are these transponder signals correct or a serious malfunction?

in time tree limbs may have grown which can cause signal loss. also checking 'home' transponders on each sat is what dish reps have you do. basically these transponders speak for the rest of the satellite-if your not getting good signal on these, then a service call is needed to see if equip is bad or dish needs re aligned. they have dhpp warr avail , that will save you $20 off serv call. you can cancel the warr anytime.

kirkdj said:
I live in La., and have a DVR 522 super dish with a DPP44 that I'm having a signal loss problem. There is a large tree close by where this dish is pointed, but until recently have always gotten good reception. If I check the systen info it says all my signals are good on 110, 119, 121, 129. The DISH rep had me check the signal strength of different transponders on the 4 satellites. On some of the sats I get good signals on most but on some of the transponders I get a 0 signal. Am I suppose to get a signal on every transponder on every sat. ?
Like on sat. 110, transponders 7, 8, 18, 20, 27, have 0 signal.
On sat. 119, transponders 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, have a 0 signal.
On sat 121, transponders 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, 12, 19, 20, 23, 24, 27, 28, 31, 32 have 0 signals.
On sat 129, I get ALL the transponders with good signals.

I wanted to make sure that the rep was correct in saying that there seems to be a problem with the switch or the LNB (I think thats what she called it) and I'm not wasting a $50 service call on someone to align my dish properly or put to move it in another location as should have been done during initial installation. I had the HD channels added a couple of months ago and that installer put the 2nd dish about 25 ft. further out to avoid that tree I mentioned. I'm wondering if thats what needs to be done with this super dish? But are these transponder signals correct or a serious malfunction?
Some, but not all, of the transponders you mentioned either have no signal (Not Dish or in process of being rearranged by DISH) or no signal in your area (spot beams).

I show 119-27 (a spotbeam),119-7 AND 119-9 as having 0 in my area.

The satellites transponders used by dish can be found on several sites. I use www.lyngsat.com.

The pattern of those you get and don't get doesn't sound like the switch to me, but maybe someone else knows of similar failures.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts