Help/Question about SHAW LNB change..

two dish dave

Original poster
May 29, 2019
Ontario
Hi all,

I've been reading and learning from all your expertise here and wanted to ask for some help and clarity.

We have had Shaw satellite since it was called Star Choice. My Father originally signed up because we could have two dishes (one at our cabin) and only pay one bill.

Shaw has been pestering us about upgrading the dish (new LNB for the new satellite I believe) for quite some time. Of course, in order to upgrade they will remove our 'grandfathered' deal and charge us for two accounts.

I wanted to make the upgrade myself, by switching out the LNB, but I am unsure of the consequences.

I know my parent's dish at home is the upgraded one (as they still get all the channels). Our cabin receivers are missing a number of channels (I'm assuming because they have been migrated to the new satellite).

Is there anyway I can do this without losing our 'grandfathered' deal?

I've read about having to call shaw to switch the 'codes' on the receiver to match the new LNB.

Could add a receiver at there house (new LNB), then take it to the cabin and upgrade the LNB?

If I upgrade the LNB at the cabin, will the receiver up there cease to function? Or will it continue to have the limited channels?

Sorry for all the questions. Thought you all might be able to shed some light!

Thanks in advance,

If you are missing channels, it could be because the channel map is changed for both (which would make sense, since they're both on the same account) or it could be because you have an older receiver and it doesn't support MPEG4. You need to have a 600-series receiver/DVR or newer. 500-series and older won't work. You need to look at the system status, line F and then reference the code from this page Shawdirect V-codes to see what the receiver is programmed for. If the receiver is a 600-series or newer and the map status already says you have an xKu map loaded (only look at the last 4 digits in that line), then just go down to the local Best Buy or order an xKu lnb online and swap it out. Make sure you match the dish you have (60cm or 75cm). You wouldn't need to change anything. If you don't have the new map loaded, and it still says you have the old Ku LNB, then you could try replacing the LNB and just seeing if they will change the codes for you (as long as you have an MPEG-4 capable receiver). If you have an older (500-series or lower) receiver, you're kinda at their mercy either way. But, if you never order PPV or watch on-demand, remember satellite is a one-way medium w/o the need to phone home (except for the aforementioned PPV or on-demand). That is, the signal comes from space and it doesn't know where it lands. You could have both receivers activated at home and just take one with you when you go up to the cabin. As long as you weren't watching from both locations at the same think you'd be within the rules.

If Shaw doesn't know about the cottage setup don't tell them. If your parents dish/LNB has been upgraded you will need to get a matching LNB. They can be purchased independent of Shaw Direct via ebay or kijiji if you are in Canada. Once your LNB matches that should improve things somewhat as long as your receiver is at least a 600 series receiver. Those can also be purchased online or at some big box stores in Canada.

Thank you so much everyone for the input.

To clarify (and seek any other words of wisdom):

Shaw knows about the other dish. They are always trying to get us to upgrade (and then bill us as two separate accounts).

We have a 600 series receiver at the cabin, just not the upgraded LNB.

If I upgrade the LNB myself, will the 600 receiver that is at the cabin still work? Or does shaw have to help?

Right now, at the cabin, the old LNB and 600 receiver still get SOME channels. I would rather have that than lose them all!

Thanks for any clarification.

Maybe I misread the thread but I thought you told Shaw Direct that you sold the cabin and brought the 600 receiver home such that you no longer have two locations. Excuse me cough cough I think my cold is acting up. The "new" owners of the cabin are free to swap out the LNB so that they are compatible with all the latest latest satellites, Mpeg4 and receivers. ;)

Not sure if anyone will see this or have advice, but, I have installed the new LNB, and still don't have all Channels. I have the exact same channels I did before (with the old LNB).

I even brought a receiver from home (to test if if was a 'receiver related issue') and still only have the original Channels I had with the old LNB.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to return the new LNB, but right now it has made no difference.

Help! And thank you all for your expertise and any response!!

Well 1st off it is not possible to have the exact same channels with the 2 different LNB's. You need to look at the system status and see what your signal strength is on a few of the channels you get. a Good Signal say on 299 would be 98 and Ecb 8.9 then look at line "F" Map status and tell us what numbers are there. That will tell us what LNB it is setup for.
I have a feeling your dish may need an alignment or you have trees in the way possibly? Also check the skew on the back of the dish and make sure it is correct for your area. That's important for picking up all the sat's equally.

Cheers

Thank you so much Showtime!

Signal level on 299 is 73 with the ECB around 3.6.

Line F :. Exists, 719-4321

We had a ton of trees taken down to try to help the situation a few years ago.

My next step will be to try to figure out the skew and check it on the roof.

Very much appreciated!!

that is way too low. no wonder you are missing channels. that is the V code for the new LNB for sure. Going forward though all customers will be changed to 4378
Also check 350 as it is the F2 sat. 299 is the F1 sat. F1 is usually the stronger signal, so I doubt you would get 350 right now.
use dishpointer .com to find your settings for the closest city to you. use multi-sat setting for starchoice 107 & 111

before you loosen any bolts, have someone watch the tv in the signal strength tuning section, then pull the dish side to side, then up and down to see if the signal increases. if it does you just need a small adjustment. if it doesn't, could still be the trees

Reactions: harshness
Good day all, I'm in Mexico City, i hve 2 antennas, 1.80 mt, 600 model receiver, most channels just disappeared.
What new LNB do i need to install?
What satellites do i need point at?
Haven't moved or changed anything in 4 years.

Thnx

You will need something like these Shaw Direct xLNB | eBay Not sure what the LNB would be for your size dish but it is labelled as a Triple XLNB or Extended Ku LNB. You should not have to repoint your dish(es) unless they need some fine tuning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts