Help setting up Free to Air in Apt. Building

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Geneinmiami

Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
I have dilemma about free to air.
I used to have a pansat 2500 at my parents house. We mainly used it to watch Spanish TV and Cuban TV and we had
Hispasat there which what we watched.
Now, I've moved into an apartment which allows me only to have a dish small dish on my roof (85 cm) looking east (I'm in Miami),and would like to be able to have as many channels as possible. The building is only 2 stories high and I live on the second story.
My questions are:
Is the new Pansat 2900HD a good deal?
Would I be able to watch Cuban TV with an 85cm?
Would installing a dish with multiple lnbs help me watch other than Hispasat?
I would also like to watch Canadian, European or Israeli TV. Mostly for educational and news, entertainment and movies in various languages.
Any help would be great. You guys can even help me with telling me another system othen than PANSAT may work better for me.
Thanks,
Eugene

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have access to the roof check with a compass that you have line of sight to Hispasat:

Elevation 27.4°
(Compass) Magnetic Azimuth 115.7°

Would you be able to install a motor setup?
You only need an HD receiver if you are going to pick up HD programing.

Pansat 2900HD you probably mean the Pansat 9200HD,
here is a review for the 9200: Pansat 9200 w/ S2 8psk Addin Card

Thank you guys for the information. I'm at work now. Tonight I'll start replying to messages. As per setting something motorized up on the roof, I might not be able to, would this work too using a non-motorized setup? Would the small dish work? Also, can I add more than one satellite, by this I mean, other FTA satellites. Keep those suggestions coming, and again, Thanks.

geneinmiami.

Gator, I'll give you a call later.

If you can mount the dish securely, mounting the motor shouldn't be a problem. I'll take a look at what you're dealing with and we can go from there. I don't know if your familiar with any of the local dealers but there are a few in Miami, but most of em cater to signal thieves as opposed to us FTAers.

We can start with the single dish and LNB then go from there. We'll pick a satellite off Lyngsat to aim for and go from that point. I'm not sure what your exact LOS (line of sight) is but we can get that all figured out.

Let me know what kind of LNB you have as well.

I've moved into an apartment which allows me only to have a dish small dish on my roof (85 cm) looking east (I'm in Miami),and would like to be able to have as many channels as possible. The building is only 2 stories high and I live on the second story.
You said Looking East , Does that mean you can't point South or West ? If you're dish is on the roof I would think you can point in all directions.

Would I be able to watch Cuban TV with an 85cm?
Yes 85cm is more than big enough for Hispasat especially in Miami

Would installing a dish with multiple lnbs help me watch other than Hispasat?.
Would not help you since the next satellite to the east and west are each about 15 degrees away from Hispasat.

I would also like to watch Canadian, European or Israeli TV. Mostly for educational and news, entertainment and movies in various languages.
As long as you can track the Clarke belt from East to West without any problems you will be able to get plenty of foreign programming.

My questions are:
Is the new Pansat 9200HD a good deal?.
It's a bit pricey for the casual FTA'er , and it still doesn't do DVB S2 ....... I'd get a nice entry level receiver and wait until something better comes out.

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the replies. Replying to several questions:

1. Yes, I can point the dish anywhere I wish. I just meant my aparatment faces east. I'm on the SW area of Miami and I can point it in any direction.

2. Also, I can only put up there a small dish, like a DishNetwork or a DirectTV dish. Would this suffice to hook into Hispasat?

I still haven't purchased any receiver &/or antenna, any recommendations as an entry level.

Gator, when I have this, I'll give you a call.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)