Help setup a DVR 510

drajkuma

Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
PA
Hi,

Got a hand-me-down Dish 510 DVR receiver that has not been used in god knows how long. Called Dish Network to add the receiver and they sent a new card. The problem is that when I put the new card in, it says ...

Error: 349
You are attempting to use a version of the smartcard that is incompatible with this receiver

So, I got a Dish Guy to do a house visit, and he restarted the DVR, then hit Menu, then Menu. After a little while, all 3 (110, 118 & 119) have red boxes with "x" in them. He insisted that the Receiver was bad.

But, I noticed that the software was P304. I checked the Dish Site and it has a much newer version available.

Also, I checked with the old card and I got a channel that said
"Congratulations! You are now pointed to 118 West"

Now for the real question(s)...

1. How do I update the software?
1. Does the software need to be up to date to read the newer card?
2. Does the Menu,Menu thing have to work first before the either the software can be updated or the newer card be read?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Yes, the 510 will very likely need newer software to work with the new smart card. Recommend putting the old card back in, put it in the stream and let it update, and then swap cards.

Yes, the 510 will very likely need newer software to work with the new smart card. Recommend putting the old card back in, put it in the stream and let it update, and then swap cards.

yep, let it update to p408 then install new card.

Thanks TheKrell & The Mack. I'll give it a shot.

Another quick question. Which satellite provides the updates? With my 310 receiver when I do a check switch (using the same line), I get 110, 118 & 119. But with the 510, I only seem to be able to lock onto 118. Does 118 also provide the updates? If only one of the other sats provide the updates, should I provide a direct line to the receiver from that sat (bypassing the switch) to enable the receiver to pick up the sat? I would have tried this already, but its freezing outside.

Thanks
Dan

Don't quote me on either of these statements. But I believe the updates are on 119 and not on 118. With the old smart card in the receiver, you should be able to get to the Check Switch menu and get that puppy working (i.e. switching to the correct satellite) again. Failing that, your idea of a direct cable should work.

Don't quote me on either of these statements. But I believe the updates are on 119 and not on 118. With the old smart card in the receiver, you should be able to get to the Check Switch menu and get that puppy working (i.e. switching to the correct satellite) again. Failing that, your idea of a direct cable should work.

Thanks guys. I did a direct connection to the 110 LNB and let the receiver sit for about 15 minutes. It did a very long update and when it was done, voila, it was P408. I had to run the lines through the switch, called Dish and they activated the receiver. Everything's A-OK now.

The funny thing is that this kind of debugging is what I wanted the Dish guy to do when he did his house visit. But the guy was adamant that the receiver was bad and he would not even consider the fact that the software was old and needed to be updated.

Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)