Help!--Son wants advice.......................

Parlyle

Pub Member/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 16, 2004
West Central Wisconsin
I need some good input as to how my son can outfit his new apartment in Washington DC.
He just graduated from American University, and will be working in DC.
He has an apartment already, but wants to get a TV/Sound System.
I told him I would put it out to the "Great Wisdom" of the Satellite Guys forum. Hope you guys and gals can help. Here's the skinny.....................

1. He wants a reliable 40-46 inch TV. HD tuner built in for around $1600.00

2. A wall mounting kit for said TV.

3. The TV will mount over the fireplace, and he wants a good sound system, with shelf speakers, that will not be in the way of the fireplace. Wants to pay about $500.00-$600.00

4. He has 2 choices for Cable in DC area.
A. Comcast
B. RCN, Whatever this is. I have never heard of it.

Well this is it for the choices he has. I would be very appreciative for any comments or suggestions as to what he should do.

Thanks for the responces:

Lyle

I need some good input as to how my son can outfit his new apartment in Washington DC.
He just graduated from American University, and will be working in DC.
He has an apartment already, but wants to get a TV/Sound System.
I told him I would put it out to the "Great Wisdom" of the Satellite Guys forum. Hope you guys and gals can help. Here's the skinny.....................

1. He wants a reliable 40-46 inch TV. HD tuner built in for around $1600.00

2. A wall mounting kit for said TV.

3. The TV will mount over the fireplace, and he wants a good sound system, with shelf speakers, that will not be in the way of the fireplace. Wants to pay about $500.00-$600.00

4. He has 2 choices for Cable in DC area.
A. Comcast
B. RCN, Whatever this is. I have never heard of it.

Well this is it for the choices he has. I would be very appreciative for any comments or suggestions as to what he should do.

Thanks for the responces:

Lyle

For the tv, whatever looks best to him at his price.

For the ss, whatever sounds best to him at his price.

As far as mounting the tv over the fireplace, I wouldn't do it.

Thank you for the comments. I will call him and let him know what he should do. I think he is wise enough to figure out how to go about it now.

Lyle

RCN is a cable outfit in the Northeastern US I do belive. I have RCN here in PA. I love it and wouldnt trade it for nothing ergo of FIOS. Plenty of HD channels and more being added each month it seems.

For a TV in that price range I would recommend a Philips LCD,not plasma. TV Philips

Yamaha or a Sony surround sound. Sound the best in that price range.

I've heard of RCN, but know nothing about it. but here is a web site. RCN Cable TV Here is RCN's line up. RCN Cable TV - Channel Lineups
Comcast is well known,but doesn't mean its better. But you can go on the Comcast threads here and I'm sure all your questions will be answerd.

lyle, I am currently in the sameboat looking for a 40-47 inch tv forr my 2nd living room. as far as sound systems go my suggestion is onkyo or I have always enjoyed yamaha as well. and as others have said dont mount it above the fireplace.

RCN is a cable outfit in the Northeastern US I do belive. I have RCN here in PA. I love it and wouldnt trade it for nothing ergo of FIOS. Plenty of HD channels and more being added each month it seems.
RCN's Premium lineup Kicks ass. Great line up. I see the great lineup is only in the DC area though ,Not to Impressed with the PA line up.

Last edited:
Great Suggestions...........

Thank you all for the suggestions. This will keep him tied up for a while.
Please keep the posts coming as I am learning a lot myself.
Thanks again:

Lyle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts