Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
SAY NO TO SOPA & PIPA!

SatelliteGuys.US Joins together with thousands of other websites today in protesting the SOPA and PIPA bills! If SOPA or PIPA are passed it could be the end of sites like SatelliteGuys! We as American's have the rights and the power to block SOPA and PIPA from becoming a reality but we must work together and use our voices to say NO to SOPA and PIPA!

Make your voice heard! Tell Congress: Don't censor the web! CLICK HERE to take action! Also if you get a chance please CALL or EMAIL your representative directly and let them know you want them to say NO to internet censorship! Also let them know that if the vote in favor of this constitution busting bills that come election time you will be voting them out of office! It's time we all stay together and protect the freedoms we have left!

<iframe src="http://americancensorship.org/callwidget" border="0" height="610" width="560"></iframe>​

For more information about SOPA please CLICK HERE or CLICK HERE.

Thank you for your support!

I was just coming to this sub-forum to ask for a permanent option for this theme/look !

its been available for awhile at the bottom of the screen at the forums page where it says color theme chooser. something like that.there are a few colors available to choose from. its not there today probably because scott removed it in support of the SOPA/PIPA Protests.

I'll call my congressman, but his name is Lamar Smith (from the 21st District in Texas), and he's the sponsor/author of SOPA. He's a tool, he's always been a tool. Nothing would make me happier than to see him fail in this (and every other frackin piece of legislation he supports/authors).

Not to get too political, but I'm surprised he's the author of this bill considering how much of a hotbed the Austin area is for technology. I'm going to tell our congressman that if he supports this I'm no longer supporting him come November. This is nuts!

I signed,e-mail and called my senators and blunt is opposing it mccaskill is unknown and shes on her way out and that joke we have in carnahan is for it but he will lose his seat next election :)

NO ONE SHOULD BE SURPRISED !!

As an acquaintance mentioned, what will happen now is they'll just sneak the provisions of this proposed law into some other act like a "Save the children" one and it will get passed before people catch it ! :(

Piracy is a big problem. While I don't want the internet censored I do see a big problem with people stealing online. The Younger generation has no problem stealing music , movies, and games from the internet. And I don't see it as a greedy Big Movie Studio against the little guy. Many people who work for the entertainment industry don't make big money. But they expect to be paid for it. Just like many of you do. One thing that the studios have finally got right is a copy protection that so far seems to be working. Nobody has cracked Cinavia and it's been out for some time.

Let's say you run a small business and you put out a dvd on how to do something. How to play the guitar, use a computer or whatever. One month after you put it out you see it free on the internet . How would you feel? You put money into making the dvd and expect to get money back from the sales of it. I see no difference from that and the people who try to crack the encryption that Directv or Dish Network uses. Now many might argue that it's up to Directv and Dish to keep it from being broken. I agree. But the pirate does it for the same reason. To get something for free .

I also believe it's causing a problem with the economy .

Piracy is a big problem. While I don't want the internet censored I do see a big problem with people stealing online. The Younger generation have no problem stealing music , movies, and games from the internet. And I don't see it as a greedy Big Movie Studio against the little guy. Many people who work for the entertainment industry don't make big money. But they expect to be paid for it. Just like many of you do. One thing that the studios have finally got right is a copy protection that so far seems to be working. Nobody has cracked Cinavia and it's been out for some time.

Let's say you run a small business and you put out a dvd on how to do something. How to play the guitar, use a computer or whatever. One month after you put it out you see it free on the internet . How would you feel? You put money into making the dvd and expect to get money back from the sales of it. I see no difference from that and the people who try to crack the encryption that Directv or Dish Network uses.

You are absolutely right. Nothing you said, however, addresses the badly written bills that are being considered.

televisionarchives: Name one group or website or whatever who put up a big protest over these bills who "supports" piracy.

As I understand it, today, if a person posts illegal material on a website, the person who posted it is responsible. The website is of course expected to remove the material as well when notified of it. The proposed law would put the responsibility solely on the website. One of the examples given was when someone posts a video on YouTube. The video's owner, be it a movie studio, band (record label), etc notifies YouTube and it gets taken down. I think they called it "Safe Harbor". If the new law had passed, when a movie studio found a copy of something of theirs on a site, they could have the site shut down. How they do that or who does it, I admit to not know.

televisionarchives said:
Piracy is a big problem. While I don't want the internet censored I do see a big problem with people stealing online. The Younger generation has no problem stealing music , movies, and games from the internet. And I don't see it as a greedy Big Movie Studio against the little guy. Many people who work for the entertainment industry don't make big money. But they expect to be paid for it. Just like many of you do. One thing that the studios have finally got right is a copy protection that so far seems to be working. Nobody has cracked Cinavia and it's been out for some time.

Let's say you run a small business and you put out a dvd on how to do something. How to play the guitar, use a computer or whatever. One month after you put it out you see it free on the internet . How would you feel? You put money into making the dvd and expect to get money back from the sales of it. I see no difference from that and the people who try to crack the encryption that Directv or Dish Network uses. Now many might argue that it's up to Directv and Dish to keep it from being broken. I agree. But the pirate does it for the same reason. To get something for free .

There's one in every crowd. :rolleyes:

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

I'm not saying I agree with SOPA. I'm just asking if someone can tell me what part if it they don't like.

Anyone?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)