Help using AIM Meter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SalmonGuy22

Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
Seattle
Just purchased an AIM meter for a very remote installation i'm having issues with and can't get a pro installer to help with given the remote location. Any tips on how to use it improve signal strength on the directv dish? Having trouble with sat 99w particularly. Will use the manual but am wondering if there are common mistakes people make / tips on how to make life easier.

Just purchased an AIM meter for a very remote installation i'm having issues with and can't get a pro installer to help with given the remote location. Any tips on how to use it improve signal strength on the directv dish? Having trouble with sat 99w particularly. Will use the manual but am wondering if there are common mistakes people make / tips on how to make life easier.

First get the 101 to 100% -99-98 on most -then you have to dither the dish- to get the 99 & 103

Have you Dithered -the dish - That has to be done in order to get the 99 spot on- You tube is where you need to be .

Welcome to the site

Thanks. Are the on-screen instructions on the AIM meter pretty easy to follow to get the 101 peaked? Tried dithering without the meter but couldn't get 99. What range of signal strength readings am I looking for on 99 to get those channels? There is one YT video on dithering with the AIM meter but surprisingly very little else in terms of step by step instructions. Hopefully i can just hit the install button and it is easy to follow from there (will find out when the meter arrives).

Thanks. Are the on-screen instructions on the AIM meter pretty easy to follow to get the 101 peaked? Tried dithering without the meter but couldn't get 99. What range of signal strength readings am I looking for on 99 to get those channels? There is one YT video on dithering with the AIM meter but surprisingly very little else in terms of step by step instructions. Hopefully i can just hit the install button and it is easy to follow from there (will find out when the meter arrives).
You bought an AIM meter (very pricey) for 1 repair ?
You should get in the mid 80's to 100 on the 99, 101 and 103 ... the Spotbeam Sats may have a lot of zeros except for the location your getting your locals from.

It's worse than you think, I bought an AIM meter for 1 repair and i don't have a clue how to use it or if it can be used without going through a training. How's that for being addicted to TV? :)

It's worse than you think, I bought an AIM meter for 1 repair and i don't have a clue how to use it or if it can be used without going through a training. How's that for being addicted to TV? :)
Well, it was not the meter I would go out and buy for a one time application .... if I was gonna use it daily, sure, but thats not the case.

I hear its easy to use, but it does way more than whats usually necessary.

I could get my hands on one from work, but I too would need a crash course in how to use it.

If you have signal on the 101 already, its a tilt issue usually, no need for the meter, unless you have no one inside to see the internal meter.

Are you getting the 103 Sat ?
Whats your numbers on the 101 ?

Is the mast plumb ?
Did you set the elevation by the line or the screw head ?

I have a camper too so maybe i'll get a portable sat setup and use the meter for that too.

Mast is very plumb after lots of work to make sure that is the case. I'm not at the property currently so don't have full info but here is what i know...

Can't remember on the elevation but did what the instructions said and then went up and down tiny amounts to get the peak reading on my tv screen inside. Spent hours doing this multiple times with one person outside and one person inside watching the levels. Not sure on 103 but believe i'm getting all of the channels i should be getting except for the locals. Readings for sat 101 are in the picture below. There is a small dent in the dish that was just noticed by my Dad. Not sure if that would cause us to lose only the local channels but ready to pull my hair out so thought i'd mention it. Tried adjusting the tilt and couldn't get more out of it than the starting position.

20170727_004406353_iOS.jpg

I have a camper too so maybe i'll get a portable sat setup and use the meter for that too.

Mast is very plumb after lots of work to make sure that is the case. I'm not at the property currently so don't have full info but here is what i know...

Can't remember on the elevation but did what the instructions said and then went up and down tiny amounts to get the peak reading on my tv screen inside. Spent hours doing this multiple times with one person outside and one person inside watching the levels. Not sure on 103 but believe i'm getting all of the channels i should be getting except for the locals. Readings for sat 101 are in the picture below. There is a small dent in the dish that was just noticed by my Dad. Not sure if that would cause us to lose only the local channels but ready to pull my hair out so thought i'd mention it. Tried adjusting the tilt and couldn't get more out of it than the starting position.

View attachment 131983
Well, only have a minute (going to work) ...
Your signals on the 101 are low, should be mid 80's to 100.
Typically if I check my signals I'll have maybe 5-7 that read 100.

What Locals are you trying to get ?
HD Locals in most cases are on the 99S or 103S Sat.

If your trying to get Seattle locals, they should be on the 99S-transponder 16, what does your signal look like on that spot ... ?

View attachment 131983

If that is the case - You will need a NEW DISH -as that can make your current issue unsolveable

Jimbo--Yes, trying to get Seattle locals. I believe they are on 99W. What can cause low signal strength? Is it just a matter of spending more time tuning it in and trying to peak the signal? We spent hours doing this making tiny adjustments and everything we could without a meter (just used the on screen signal readings on the tv). Or could it be equipment related?

Vazhog--I think we are going to buy a new dish, lnb, and power inserter just to start fresh and feel confident in the equipment. With a dented dish, would we still get other channels but not the locals on 99w?

Jimbo--Yes, trying to get Seattle locals. I believe they are on 99W. What can cause low signal strength? Is it just a matter of spending more time tuning it in and trying to peak the signal? We spent hours doing this making tiny adjustments and everything we could without a meter (just used the on screen signal readings on the tv). Or could it be equipment related?

Vazhog--I think we are going to buy a new dish, lnb, and power inserter just to start fresh and feel confident in the equipment. With a dented dish, would we still get other channels but not the locals on 99w?

With a bent dish you are lucky to have anything

Reactions: Jimbo
Will buy a new dish. For what I'm trying to do, is the Slimline 3 with a 3 LNB a good way to go or should i go with something else / different LNB? Not trying to save a nickel here but rather get a good solution in place without being wasteful.

Will buy a new dish. For what I'm trying to do, is the Slimline 3 with a 3 LNB a good way to go or should i go with something else / different LNB? Not trying to save a nickel here but rather get a good solution in place without being wasteful.
IF 4k isn't a big deal to you, get the one your looking at ...
If 4k is something your getting into ... get the Reverse Band (RB) one.

And now....the money question: Where should i buy it for a good deal and equipment that works?

For a Dish and a LNB and power supply -EBAY - as far as the LNB goes depends on where your located (You may be located) in an area where your local sd channels are on the 119 so you may need a 5-lnb.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you bent the Dish, throw it away and get a new one.

I have dropped them before, and even without a noticeable dent couldn’t get a decent signal.

I used to buy used dishes from installers, but ran into too many bad ones where I will not touch a used dish they are that sensitive.

Reactions: HIFI
Hi Everyone--Installed the new dish and used the AIM meter to get the signal dialed in. AIM meter was crazy helpful without much of a learning curve. Ended up getting all of the channels including locals so problem solved. Really appreciate everyone's help!

Reactions: Jimbo
Hi Everyone--Installed the new dish and used the AIM meter to get the signal dialed in. AIM meter was crazy helpful without much of a learning curve. Ended up getting all of the channels including locals so problem solved. Really appreciate everyone's help!
Excellent, glad to hear ...
So what do your numbers look like now ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.