Help, what do I need???

BKP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
Vacationland, USA
I just got my 32" Emerson LCD HDTV setup yesterday afternoon and WOW, I'm very impress with the picture quality.. This TV even makes my father's VCR recordings look better through the composite input..

Anyway, the TV will only scan in analog channels.. I have a Channel Master 120 mile, directional I believe, antenna.. I don't remember the model number.. I'm less than 50 miles away from any tower..

I have 50' of RG6 cable coming down from the roof antenna, a splitter (1 RG6 quad cable going to the livingroom and 1 RG6 quad cable going another 30'), a second splitter with 25' of RG6 quad cable to the new TV in my room.. This set up was fine for my old CRT TV but, not very good for the new TV even the analog channels aren't coming in as good..

So, I'm looking for suggestions to better the signal and what I need to do to pull in the digital and HDTV channels..

Thanks in advance, Brent

I just got my 32" Emerson LCD HDTV setup yesterday afternoon and WOW, I'm very impress with the picture quality.. This TV even makes my father's VCR recordings look better through the composite input..

Anyway, the TV will only scan in analog channels.. I have a Channel Master 120 mile, directional I believe, antenna.. I don't remember the model number.. I'm less than 50 miles away from any tower..

I have 50' of RG6 cable coming down from the roof antenna, a splitter (1 RG6 quad cable going to the livingroom and 1 RG6 quad cable going another 30'), a second splitter with 25' of RG6 quad cable to the new TV in my room.. This set up was fine for my old CRT TV but, not very good for the new TV even the analog channels aren't coming in as good..

So, I'm looking for suggestions to better the signal and what I need to do to pull in the digital and HDTV channels..

Thanks in advance, Brent

First, you should have one splitter with three outputs rather than two splitters. There will be less signal loss that way. As far as the hd channels, have you selected the correct setting in the menu? Is the cable connected to the correct input? Is the antenna properly oriented? Are the cables and connections tight? You may want to run one new cable directly from the antenna to the tv to be sure of this. Good luck!

The first splitter cuts your signal in half, so the living room gets half the signal coming in. The second splitter cuts the other half of the signal in half again, so the other 2 TV's get 1/4 of the original signal strength.

If ALL your towers are 20-30 miles away or more I would suggest adding a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp to the antenna with the power inserter between that first splitter and the antenna.

I presume you still want analog reception on the older Tv's plus digital on the new one. Read the manual of the new TV and make sure it has an ATSC HDTV tuner built-in. Otherwise you 'll need to add one, either with a HD satellite tuner that has an ATSC tuner or a set top box ATSC tuner.

Post your zip code and we can get more specific about antennas.

Thanks guys...

Because of your input, I've decided to get some more RG6 quad and run a straight shot to my new TV from the first splitter to see what happens.. Maybe, change the cable coming down from my antenna to RG6 quad.. I also have one of those distribution amplifiers I could try instead of the splitter, I believe it's 20db..

Yes, the new TV has both analog and digital tuners and only one coaxial cable input.. Did another channel scan last night and still no digital channels.. Even if you put the digital channels in manually it says no signal..

Are you suggesting the preamplifier because I'm not pulling in any digital signals.. I'm just wondering if it's going to be too much because one analog channel comes in very good and the other three come in good..
If I do put a preamplifier on could I split the signal before the preamplifier and run a separate cable to the analog TV in the livingroom because that old TV comes in fine.. Or would that defeat the preamplifier..

Yes I do need to point my antenna.. It is a little off..

My zip is 04479..

Thanks again, Brent

WEll, there is good news and bad news. There are some digitals out there, all in the same direction but they are pretty weak because they are refracted over at least two terrain obstacles. You're going to need a deep fringe antenna with a good pre-amp. to get stable HDTV. And you have a VHF station on channel 9 (PBS) thrown in to make matters worse.

I'm going to suggest two antennas: A Wade Dehli Y103 (a VHF High band yagi) and an Antennas Direct 91XG, combined by a CM7777 pre-amp which has discrete VHF and UHF inputs.

Point them SSW and get them up as high as you can.

WEll, there is good news and bad news. There are some digitals out there, all in the same direction but they are pretty weak because they are refracted over at least two terrain obstacles. You're going to need a deep fringe antenna with a good pre-amp. to get stable HDTV. And you have a VHF station on channel 9 (PBS) thrown in to make matters worse.

I'm going to suggest two antennas: A Wade Dehli Y103 (a VHF High band yagi) and an Antennas Direct 91XG, combined by a CM7777 pre-amp which has discrete VHF and UHF inputs.

Point them SSW and get them up as high as you can.

So Jim, what happened to the good news.. Hahaha

Where did you find your information.. I'm up about 700 feet above sea level on a good sized hill, for the area that is.. If this makes a difference..

I can live without the PBS channel 9 so I'll scratch off the VHF antenna.. That Antennas Direct antenna looks interesting and I found some good reviews, taboot.. If I decide to go with a new antenna I will get that Antennas Direct..

Yesterday we bypassed the second splitter with a 3GHz barrel connector.. Now ABC comes in near perfect, CBS is still very good, that did improved PBS a bit and NBC is still the weakest..

I might just settle for great analog reception for now until I decide on a new antenna, preamplifier and all those goodies.. I didn't realize all this was going to necessary for HDTV.. What a BUMMER, Hahaha..

Thanks again, Brent

I would suggest that you get a DB4 digital only antenna and use that. Your signals will be awesome since you are no further away than 50 miles. I am using one and am 60 miles away from the broadcast towers. I am using one dual splitter and it works great. One note about amplifiers - if there is a signal available it will amp it along with noise etc. but if the signal is out of range even the amp cannot help. BTW the DB4 antenna is omnidirectional so aiming is not as crucial as with directional antennas.

Last edited:
I would suggest that you get a DB4 digital only antenna and use that. Your signals will be awesome since you are no further away than 50 miles. I am using one and am 60 miles away from the broadcast towers. I am using one dual splitter and it works great. One note about amplifiers - if there is a signal available it will amp it along with noise etc. but if the signal is out of range even the amp cannot help. BTW the DB4 antenna is omnidirectional so aiming is not as crucial as with directional antennas.

Who makes this antenna.. Thanks, Brent

DB4 is not enough antenna for your needs. You are blocked by terrain and need the biggest and best.

DB4 has a big brother the DB8 but it is about the same as a CM 4228 or the XG91 and has the disadvantege of being large like the 4228 (catches a lot of wind) and costing as much as the XG91, which I feel is a far superior antenna.

The reason you get the biggest and best antenna is to minimize noise when you amplify the signal with the pre-amp.

HMMM... DB4 is same price (dollar more) than CM4228, which is twice the antenna (shipping is more for 4228).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts