Help with 4DTV positioner

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

two4two

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
We were out and the kids were home alone. We don't know which satellite the dish was pointed to. Probably G1. Lightning struck. There was a surge that took out a VCR, a TV, a BATTERY-POWERD radio alarm clock, and 2 phone answering machines. The 4DTV went into recycly with WM UP. When it came back the kids say the picture was OK, but I can't verify. Overnight at 2:00AM it tried to do its nightly thing and go to G1. However, when I turned it on 2 days later it couldn't find any channel. I asked the 4DTV to go to W6 for the NASA channels on MPEG. It appeared as though everyting was OK because the check mark moved its way throught the satellite buttons until it came to W6. But no reception. I went to "program satellites" to find the dish position number was not what it should be. I ended going to "set limits to see if something was messed up there. Here's what happened: This dish was at 3983 (W6 is supposed to be 3925). East limit was 3780 (where I originally set it). When I hi-lited "east limit" and tried to move the dish east limit became set at 3983. I hi-lited "west limit" and when I tried to move the dish west limit became set at 3983. When I hold down on the arrow that asks the dish to move, after about 3 seconds I get "dish at physical limit". I reset and try doing it one tick at a time. The dish actually moves but the position number never changes on the 4DTV. Even though it is a linear west setup, nudging the positioner one click at a time I can move the dish from nearly the west horizon to pretty close to east horizon. (I never KNEW it could go that far east!) But the position numbers on the 4DTV don't change. I did a master reset (oh joy!) and when I go to set limits all 3 numbers were at 5000: dish position, east limit, west limit. I try to move the dish and the position numbers can change a bit to the east (to 4978) but even though the dish can keep moving nearly to the east horizon, the numbers don't change. Same as to the west: even though I can move the dish to the west horizon the numbers don't change. Dish position 5000, east limit 5000, west limit 5000. When I try to program a satellite, no matter which satellite it thinks it should be at 4978 (the new east limit.) So, what's broken here, the actuator or the 4DTV? As I said, one click at a time and the dish will move. But try to move it all at once and it can't go beyond the limits and I can't set the limits because the numbers don't change as the dish moves. How dio I determine where the problem is?

That could be a problem with the position sensor on the actuator. Do you have an analog reciever sitting around that you can check to see if it is the reciever or the position sensor?

I have a Fortec Star Platinum FTA MPEG receiver that is slaved to the 4DTV. Maybe there is a positioner built into it. Don't know. I have an old echostar 50 receiver around here somewhere. It was also struck by lightning. That's why we got the 4DTV in fact. But I don't know if the positioner was broken on it or not. Is the position sensor replaceable on the actuator? And is the actuator on the positioner arm or in the receiver. It is a von wiese arm (or however you spell it.)

check the voltage from the back of the unit between terminals labled m1 - m2 it should be about 30v dc when the dish is trying to move and 0 v when at rest

I have a Fortec Star Platinum FTA MPEG receiver that is slaved to the 4DTV. Maybe there is a positioner built into it.
Your Fortec does not have a positioner built into it.
Is the position sensor replaceable on the actuator? And is the actuator on the positioner arm or in the receiver
The actuator is the arm that moves your dish. The position sensor is in the motor part of the actuator. The position sensor sends " pulses" to your reciever to tell the reciever that your actuator is moving your dish. By counting the pulses your receiver knows how far the dish has been moved and where it is at.

You should be able to check the position sensor by doing the following:

1) Disconnect the position sensor wires from the back of the 4dtv.
2) hook a multimeter up to the postion sensor wires, with the meter set to continuity.
3) as you move the dish you should see the "pulses" from the position sensor show up on the multimeter.

Hope this helps,
Doc

Thank you Doc

Now, just one more, which are the terminals on the 4DTV to disconnect the wires from? I know you can't say which colored wires, so I thought asking which terminals on the 4DTV are the ones for position sensor. So, connect multimeter to the wires (obviously leaving the power leads to positioner connected). If the position sensor were at fault what would I see on the meter? Or as a corollary, if the position sensor were good what would I see on the meter. There are 2 coax cables (C/Ku), a triple (red, white, black) that's for the polarizer, and a set of 5, 2 very thick are for powering the actuator, and that leaves 3 wires for the sensor, I think they are brown, green and orange. I believe one of them is not used (but I haven't looked at it lately so I'm not sure.) And that finally leaves 2 wires. You say disconnect these from the receiver and connect them to the multimeter? SO, no pulse means faulty sensor? Now which on the actuator arm is the sensor? Are you talking about the reed switch? Or the relay on the terminal strip?

It's the ones that say "5+/Pulse/GND" across the top. I think the 922 actually has the word "sensor" written below it, while the 920 doesn't. I can't explain what I don't know, about the multimeter. You are correct on the wires you're describing. I'm not positive, but I am quite sure it's the reed switch to look for.

Al

Thanks Doc

I talked to Von Weise (Fasco) and they are going to send me a new reed switch and a new terminal assembly with sensor. Very nice of them, considering I still didn't hook up the multimeter!

two4two
i have a 4dtv with the same problem. I can move the dish from east towest limits,
no change in dish count. this unit has been in the four times ,the last time they
the receiver was extensively checked and could not find anything wrong with it,
and refunded my money. I also have a Uniden Ultra, which I have no problem
when conected to the same system. I am also at loss and need help.
etr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts