Help with AMC 5

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hammer328

Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Hello to all you...
I am a novice to say the least.... I am interested in nothing illegal - I am aware of AMC5 up there that offers 5 OTB horse racing channels for free. I have an old 18" dtv dish and I purchased a pantech 2500 ulta multi star fta from e-bay.
I Tried with a friend of mine today to locate AMC 5 to not even getting any signal - again i ma a novice... lol I hooked it up and with no instructions i clicked on antenna intsall - found amc 5 hit ok ... it shows like 5 dishes to select from single / universal . dishpro etc.. ? i have no idea -- shows a bunch of other items to select as well - again i am clueless ... I thought I had the right lat and long from a site but i could be wrong as well .... All i want is AMC 5 -- Can anyone help me ? - i mean really help me as I have zero knowlege on what to do...
What setting do i do and how... where do i point this south ? south west ?
I am in Norhern New Jersey....
how high into the sky... ? is this even possible with an old dtv dish it has three nbs on it.... I am so frustrated as I want the OTB channels and they are free but i don't know how to set this thing up.... I have read things like tilt - transponders etc.. I don't know what those are... lol ---- anybody feel like walking a newbie through this so I can watch those free channels on AMC 5 ?

Please post and help me...

Thanking all of you in advance.:up

Welcome! You are at a great place with very helpful people. We will all pitch in and give you some guidance.

The dish that you are using is not suitable for reception of AMC5. The reflector surface is too small and the LNBF type is circular.

You will need a 30" minimum dish with a linear LNBF (either standard or Universal type). The dish needs to be aimed at approx. 200 degrees on a compass and 43 Degree in elevation.

Once you have a suitable dish and LNBF we can help you with the receiver settings and get you on an active frequency.

Quick Reply

Thanks for the quick reply..... so I have to purchase a 30" dish witha linear lnb....
I will look on ebay..... But the FTA receiver i have is okay for AMC 5 ?
Once I get the 30" dish will ihave more sucess than i had today ? ... lol --- 4 hours of tilting and pointing to get zero on quality meter... lol

Thanks for helping me....

30" minimum is the operative phrase. You might want to go a little larger if you plan on taking this hobby a little further. Lots of free stuff out in the sky, so your new dish and a linear lnb will be just the beginning... Trust me on this!

yes the reciever will work just fine

yes once you get the dish & LNB you'll be set for AMC5. You were trying to pick it up with the wrong type of LNB. You wouldn't have got it no matter how long you tried to aim the dish :)

just looked on e-bay

Thanks bidaw and Iceberg for helping me.... I am lookeing at 30" dishes or larger on e-bay and the shipping is more than the dish... lol --- I paid 40.00 formy fat receiver - used .... I will look around the net for FTA dishes ... I will look a little larger than 30" as you mentioned and the linear thing.... Or should I just make the investment and purchse a whole system from the next to set up the AMC 5... I can always sell the fta reciver i just purchased on ebay.....
What do you guys recommend ?

one more thing

I just noticed on Galaxy 3 they offer a RTn channels -- quite a few of them thay are horse racing as well...... AMC 5 has about 5 channels dedicated to horse racing from OTB in NY..... Galaxy 3 has way more... are they free as well ?
If so what size dish is needed for that and or can i get both ?
AMC is 79 west i think and Galaxy 3 i am not sure of..

Thanks

No problem..... I want the free stuff .... no troubles.... not breaking any laws... AMC 5 is fine -- 5 channels of horse racing is better than none... lol
I will post back when I get my 30" plus dish....
Again thanks so much for th help and I will be posting back with many more questions since your guys helped me so fast..... This site is awsome!

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)