Help with boosting antenna perfromance

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Benjamin Mattelem

Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
NJ
We purchased a 70 mile range antenna that is mounted about 205 is feet off the ground. It currently recives around 35 channels. We are looking to pull in channels 2 3 and 6. Currently it pulls in 6 but it is very weak and choppy. We also have an RV with an antenna and that antenna (which is amplified) and mounted probably10tish feet below the one on the house. That antenna picks up channel 2 3 and 6 with no problems at all when faced in the same direction as the one on the house. We are using the same DTV convertor box on each so the tuner is not an issue and neither is cabling as we have tried a tv right on the ground outside. Only problem icam think of is that there is a splitter which might be part of the problem. All cable from antenna is brsnd new RG-6. Does it sound like a preamp on the house antenna will help it pull in 2 3 and 6? I know a pre-amp doesn't boost the range but just the signal down the line. I'm just confused to as why the lower small antenna works better than the bigger higher one.

We purchased a 70 mile range antenna that is mounted about 205 is feet off the ground. It currently recives around 35 channels. We are looking to pull in channels 2 3 and 6. Currently it pulls in 6 but it is very weak and choppy. We also have an RV with an antenna and that antenna (which is amplified) and mounted probably10tish feet below the one on the house. That antenna picks up channel 2 3 and 6 with no problems at all when faced in the same direction as the one on the house. We are using the same DTV convertor box on each so the tuner is not an issue and neither is cabling as we have tried a tv right on the ground outside. Only problem icam think of is that there is a splitter which might be part of the problem. All cable from antenna is brsnd new RG-6. Does it sound like a preamp on the house antenna will help it pull in 2 3 and 6? I know a pre-amp doesn't boost the range but just the signal down the line. I'm just confused to as why the lower small antenna works better than the bigger higher one.
Please post a TVfool report of your location so we can try to help you.

One thing about digital TV signals, at least at my location ( 280 feet above sea level) is that location of the antenna can matter. While height is important, sometimes antennas at lower heights can perform just as well or even better than higher-mounted ones. With the long-gone analog TV signals that wasn't the case. Higher and bigger was always better. Can't say that for digital signals, at least at this location. What I've found is that a rotatable antenna with a pre-amp at the source is the best. Also, pointing the antenna directly at the station's transmitter does not always bring in the best signal; if you have mountains nearby, try aiming at many different angles for the best result. As for the use of pre-amps inside the house it is a matter of trial and error; some make a difference, some do not. The difference though was never earth-shattering.

With the digital era a lot of the old rules regarding antennas have become less etched in stone, at least in my experience.

Boba's recommendation of using TV Fool is a good one, start with that. Good luck and I wish you success.

Rather than channel numbers, consider using callsigns (i.e. WABC, WNET, KGW) as channel numbers may be real (related to a radio frequency) or virtual (unrelated to a radio frequency). It also allows us to figure out exactly what stations you're looking for (since those channel numbers exist in many markets).

Reactions: navychop
At 205 FEET HIGH maybe you are over the signal. Do we have a new style of antenna that uses Helium filled balloons to lift it? Please give more real information about you location and what you are really using.

Assuming the antenna is really high, you could be over as stated above. Also, on the preamp you are right. As stated above, either post tvfool report but understand that depending on that "sweet spot," if you have it in the wrong place or the antenna is not directional enough, your signal input for the desired channel(s) might be 0 or below, or so low the preamp has nothing to work with. Digital as I'm sure you know is all or none. Choppy with issues if very weak. So if you look at the channels you're having trouble with also look from your location on tvfool how much estimated signal you could receive at a certain height. Yes, generally higher is better. My dad and I tried putting up a 30ft Clearstream 1 on the back of the house. Nothing. Of all things mounting it on the front porch on a column half way up my dad actually receives all Chattanooga and most Atlanta stations and stations LP from a tower about 20 miles or so away no amp needed. Weird, but obviously the "sweet spot." Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)