Help with dtv and voip

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wildcats

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
I called Direct and scheduled an install for dvr and hd. I was told by Direct that it was ok to have voip that everything would still work. When the installing company called they asked if we had a land line and I said no and they said that Direct would not allow them to install, that the equipment wouldn't work without a landline phone. Is this true? How can I get around the land line requirement? I have heard others who have the same voip that i have say that either satellite company works fine with Sunrocket. Would it be better to call again or wait until after the 1st? Owning the equipment doesn't really matter to me. Thanks.

I don't have Sunrocket, but I do have Vonage and have never had a problem.. I even get caller ID now on my TV now.. No problem with PPV either and they say that is the only reason you need the phone connected..

dont get me started on vonage

Vonage and Directv are match made in H#LL! My TIVO has not be able to call out since I got it. Ive had to take unit dont the street to friends and let it call out.

But it does accept calls FROM Directv. Ive tried all the tricks..still nothing. As a matter of fact my nag screen tells me that it's been 36 days since I called TIVO.

I hooked up R15 in mid January. No phone issues so far; calller id works..my fingers are crossed

Wildcats,

Who showed up and said they couldn't install? Was it an independant or a HSP?

Projectorules,

When the contractor called to confirm installation I told them that I would have a DVR in hand. Direct told me to buy one at Best or Circuit City if I wanted. Anyways, I told the install company that I had one and they told me to call Dtv and let them know. I did and the rep asked me if I had a landline phone and I said no. Told her I had VOIP and she said that it would not work and since a dvr is a must for the wife the install was canceled. The rep said if we did not have a land line phone available the instaler was not permited to do the instal for a dvr. Was I given incorrect info or what are my options? When I called to set up the install I asked if itw ould work with voip and was told yes. Maybe the Dtv sales person just wanted the sale. Not sure. If this is incorrect does anyone know if I will still qualify for any new customer promotions?
Thanks for any help given.

Sounds like a lazy install company. Call Direc and explain with a reschedule. TELL the DirecTV CSR to put in the notes field that you want a differtent install company and that VOIP is OK to proceed with install.

If the same loser install company calls ask them to read the note on the work order and ask for a three way with DirecTV retention department.

Sometimes you've gotta be a PITA to get what should be an easy thing.

Projectorsrule,

The DTV rep is the one that told me it would not work. She stated that their installers are told not to do the install if there is not a land line phone in the home. I told her what I was told on the original call for service and she said I was told wrong info. I would like to find out either way if it will or will not work.

Call a local DirecTV dealer and sign up with them. Don't bother with DirecTV corporate.

Although, it is true that DVRs and voip are notoriously unfriendly towards each other. It takes many tries for the DVR to make the first two calls home (which are really the only ones necessary).

With that said, you could always get a basic D10 and then buy the DVR yourself, and do a self install.

There are a few configuration tricks to get the DVR to successfully make those first calls home with voip. It took me about two hours of trying to get the DVR and Vonage both configured properly before the calls finally went through. One of the things to do is reduce the baud rate at which the DVR attempts to connect, the other is using the *99 prefix with Vonage to warn them of an impending data call. Also necessary is to set the Vonage bandwidth saver to the highest bandwidth usage position.

If you're not using Vonage then you would need to set the Codecs on your voip device for fax pass-through settings, which would be ILBC or PCMU. (not T-38)

One thing you guys don't know, but with D* jumping on HSP and contractors over phone line. D* charging installers back for no phone lines so much money that many installers don't want to do install if the person doesn't have a land line. So don't blame the installer all the time.

We are now required to do phone lines also "we are not a HSP" now and don't get paid if the customer has a phone line and we don't hook it up. I think it is silly to say we must hook them up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts