help with ethernet connection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mngoat

Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
mn
I have a HR20-700 that I've been using for several years now and was thinking about hooking it up to the internet via the ethernet port. I'm just wondering what benefits hooking it up truely gives you. What types of things does it allow you to do?

One other thing, I recently hooked up a indoor OTA (cheapo) to the coaxial connection on the unit and it gets about 80% of the channels available to us. Of the 20% we don't get it's just a signal strength issue. Should i buy a more expensive(better?) OTA? Is the usb port able to accept an OTA that would work better? Thanks for the feedback.

I have a HR20-700 that I've been using for several years now and was thinking about hooking it up to the internet via the ethernet port. I'm just wondering what benefits hooking it up truely gives you. What types of things does it allow you to do?

You'll be able to access On Demand programming & you will also be able to stream movies/TV shows/music/pictures to your TV from your computer via your HR20 (you'll also need to download TVersity or PlayOn to do this though).

First, the USB port is useless., it only gives power-out.

Second, by connecting the HR20 to your network, you'll be able to use DirecTV's VOD service and download VOD content from channels in the 1000's. similar to cable. It will also use the internet connection to upload PPV data, game channel data, etc., instead of a dial-up connection. You can hook it to your home network to stream media (mp3's, video, etc.) to it BUT you need to setup TVersity or PlayOn to do this though on a host PC.

As far as the OTA, you could "try" a better indoor antenna (amplified) or you may need to go to an outdoor antenna and run a wire from there. For me, I cannot receive a signal with an indoor antenna and had to use an outdoor, pole mounted OTA antenna.

You can hook it to your home network to stream media (mp3's, video, etc.) to it BUT you need to setup TVersity or PlayOn to do this though on a host PC.

Windows media player 10/11 also works. I use it on my host PC for my network HR recievers. You have to configure media sharing within the player settings. It works very well....

Also if your computer is fast enough, you can download the Directv2pc program & watch your DVR's content on the computer. :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts