Help With " Moving"

I see two potential problems with this...

1) Boxes phoning home over phone or Internet. Pay the $5 and live without dish online features to prevent this I imagine?

2) Dish updating their software to scan OTA and detect if locals are being picked up that can't possibly be picked up at your service address (i.e. Cleveland locals with a Chicago address). They could build this into the receiver without needing to phone home. Complicated, yes, but possible.

Worth it

I see two potential problems with this...

1) Boxes phoning home over phone or Internet. Pay the $5 and live without dish online features to prevent this I imagine?

2) Dish updating their software to scan OTA and detect if locals are being picked up that can't possibly be picked up at your service address (i.e. Cleveland locals with a Chicago address). They could build this into the receiver without needing to phone home. Complicated, yes, but possible.

This would assume that E* would feel that is worth the $$$ to change s/w to do this. They have other things that their s/w engineers deal with to keep ahead of the game. They are unlikely to make money doing either. Boxes phone home to a toll free number to report PPV primarily which makes money.

Question about all this

Does this mean in addition to picking up HD/SD locals from a city I "move" to, I can also pick up the RSN channels for that area?

I live in the Tampa, Florida area. If I "moved" to Miami, would I get their RSNs, including the version of SUN with the Florida Panther games not blacked out? Could I move to Atlanta or NYC and get their HD networks, along with their RSNs?

This would be great if I could. I get cable too with locals, as well as OTA, I wouldn't mind having another set of HD locals and RSNs via Dish. I don't even get a set of locals with Dish now, because I have had no need for them. Maybe I'll "move" to Miami. Wow... cool. Somebody please let me know how this works for RSNs.

Easiest way I have found to move"

Call dish support, get the person in India, so don't take the tech support option !

Finda a KOA campground in area you need to move too. Use that address and pick a lot number.

Advise the CSR that you service address is not correct for some reason make sure you tell them to leave the billing alone and only update the service adddress.

Omce that is done, wait for an hour and see if you locals change, you will still get guide and locals via OTA just as you did, but now you will get HD locals over Sat too.. Including Fox.

If an hour goes by, and no new locals, call in and choose tech support option, you will get american and explain that you are not getting correct locals, verify your new service address and they will correct it.

If you need a service call or need equipment replaced, you will have to change it back to correct address.. Then when service is done, change it back again.

Does this mean in addition to picking up HD/SD locals from a city I "move" to, I can also pick up the RSN channels for that area?

I live in the Tampa, Florida area. If I "moved" to Miami, would I get their RSNs, including the version of SUN with the Florida Panther games not blacked out? Could I move to Atlanta or NYC and get their HD networks, along with their RSNs?

This would be great if I could. I get cable too with locals, as well as OTA, I wouldn't mind having another set of HD locals and RSNs via Dish. I don't even get a set of locals with Dish now, because I have had no need for them. Maybe I'll "move" to Miami. Wow... cool. Somebody please let me know how this works for RSNs.

I believe you are correct. I moved to Atlanta since I didn't have locals in HD but haven't checked into the RSNs. I do like having the ability to record 3 network shows in HD.

I believe you are correct. I moved to Atlanta since I didn't have locals in HD but haven't checked into the RSNs. I do like having the ability to record 3 network shows in HD.

Interesting. I just thought of another aspect of all this. Wouldn't you pay the tax rate of the place you "move" to? In other words, I have heard that places like NYC have a high tax rate on everything, and I assume satellite television is no exception to this. So you'd have to be careful, your bill might go up. On the other hand, you could do a little research as to who has the lowest tax on sat service and "move" to that location, saving yourself some money. If Wyoming doesn't charge you sales tax and other taxes, great, move to Wyoming. That is, for those that don't care about locals or RSNs.

Or do they base taxes on your billing address?

Easiest way I have found to move"

Call dish support, get the person in India, so don't take the tech support option !

Finda a KOA campground in area you need to move too. Use that address and pick a lot number.

Advise the CSR that you service address is not correct for some reason make sure you tell them to leave the billing alone and only update the service adddress.

Omce that is done, wait for an hour and see if you locals change, you will still get guide and locals via OTA just as you did, but now you will get HD locals over Sat too.. Including Fox.

If an hour goes by, and no new locals, call in and choose tech support option, you will get american and explain that you are not getting correct locals, verify your new service address and they will correct it.

If you need a service call or need equipment replaced, you will have to change it back to correct address.. Then when service is done, change it back again.

Best one I heard yet...

Can Dish catch you if you connect via the ethernet? Phone line is a no no, but I would like to not have to pay the additional $5 fee per 622 receiver because I also "moved" a while ago.

Can Dish catch you if you connect via the ethernet? Phone line is a no no, but I would like to not have to pay the additional $5 fee per 622 receiver because I also "moved" a while ago.

Phone lines are fine too. Several folks have different area codes since they have VoIP. The thing that is a big no no is two receivers on different phone numbers.

Dish is looking for people account sharing, so make sure your boxes are all in the same house.

So to verify, if someone has 'moved' and their service address and area code do not match, it is still ok, as long as all the receivers (in this case 3 of them) are all hooked into the same phone number?

So to verify, if someone has 'moved' and their service address and area code do not match, it is still ok, as long as all the receivers (in this case 3 of them) are all hooked into the same phone number?

I know someone right now that isn't moved but their phone line returns a 1-800 number on their ANI with 2 receivers plugged into their phone line.

Think of all the folks with Vonage, VoicePulse, Packet8, etc that have area codes that don't match. They don't think about this and just plug in their boxes and call it done. The audit crew would have their work cut out for them more than it is. Some VoIP providers send back the same ANI for ALL of their customers! :eek:

Interesting thing is that on my account, the address is in MA, but the phone number is in NY. DISH never asked me when I "moved" for a new phone number. I of course don't plug into the phone line anyways.

The reason why we would want to be on the phone line or internet is to save $5.00 extra month per dual tuner DVR for not connecting.

Does anyone know what they can tell from the IP address if connected via ethernet?

Thanks

Makes me wonder...what happens if your home phone number is restricted/private, then can they tell if they're even coming from the same place?

IP addresses can provide a general indication of location...although mine pinpoints me 400 miles from where I am, and at times, I've been told I have an IP address from halfway across the country. All they can tell if it's the same IP address, and even that can't make them certain that they're not in the same house...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)