Help with OTA problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lingk99

Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, and have read many of the articles you guys posted. I think there's a great knowledge base here and I'm glad I can learn from you.

Here's my problem:

I got an upgraded OTA antennae installed today (it took a flakey installer 4 appointments to get this up), however, I cannot receive any off the air signals. The installer didn't stay long enough to verify that the channels would come on.

Voom, under the system information panel, actually displays my OTA signal/power to be both around the high 70's to low 80's. The power's NBR is about 20.

However, I'm simply baffled why I am not receiving any off the air channels. I peeked at my room and saw that the satellite is pointing west downwards (I live in the SF bay) and that the antennea is pointing slightly north, which both should be correctly positioned.

I also asked my installer whether the diplexor was installed correctly, and he said that if it weren't installed correctly, then my normal voom channels wouldn't be showing up either (Voom channels worked fine). So now, I'm stuck trying to contact Voom's customer support to get them send someone else over to check my connections.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime that may fix this problem?

link99,

Things you can do:

1 - make sure that the antenna is pointing in the direction of your locals. Go to www.antennaweb.org and check digital only to make sure that this is the case.

2 - Verify that your antenna is capable of getting those local channels based on their distance. anntennaweb.org can help you with this. Get the model number of your antenna and find the range of it for UHF and VHF channels.

3- After 1 and 2, select a local channel and go to the system setting and note the OTA signal quality and OTA signal strenght and post here.

4- Have the CSRs send a signal to your box and hit it to see if can resurrect thos local channels.

5- Check your connections. Go to VOOM STB FAQ (Motorola DSR-550) and verify that your connection on the back of stb is correct.

6- If possible, check the diplexer and make sure that all ends are tight. The same with your stb. Check your antenna and make sure that its end is tight as well.

7- Go to Radio Shack and buy a diplexer and replace your current one (if possible).

I just had my antennea upgraded. the signal must have been to strong because it would kick the Voom signal off. So he ran seperate lines from the antenna and dish. It seems to be working good now :D

Bypass the diplexer or take a small TV with a tuner outside and hook it up to the antenna and see if you can tune in the analog channels, if you can then you have a wiring issue. Always break your problem down to the simplest component and work out, start at the source and work your way out till you find the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)