Help with Positioner and smaller C Band dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jmag487

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Cambridge, NY
Hello! I purchased one of the 6ft motorized dishes from a few months ago, but just set it up as a fixed dish pointed to ANIK F1R. Now that we are finally thawing out (I'm in upstate New York) I was hoping to get the motorized setup complete. All my wires are run, the positioner is in place and all that, but I'm a bit puzzled on how this all will work. I have all of the bolts, etc. tightened up, but I assume I'll need to loosen some things up for the dish to position properly. Are there any pictures, documentation or anything that can help me out? There wasn't any setup guides or anything included with the equipment. Thanks again.

PVR100,SD180PM,P76,BSC621,HARL3618,VBox

Being on the East coast, you will probably want to mount the Actuator on the West side of you Dish (not Left or Right, but West)
First thing is to connect the wires from the Positioner (VBox / GBox, or what ever you purchased) to the Actuator
Test to make sure when you Press "West" it moves West.
Retract Actuator fully, then drive out an inch or so.
Loosen clamp that holds Actuator, and slide down to the Lowest Sat you wish to receive.
Drive from Sat to Sat saving the positions.

Ask questions.

Make sure your declination is set properly.
Use the modified chart angle.
35896.jpg

Start by finding the satellite closest to your latitude by setting your dish up as shown here (The modified and true latitude angle are pretty close to each other(measurement errors)
attachment.php

Adjust the elevation and twist mount on the pole to peak your Quality reading.
End of Step one.

Attachments

• 20054.jpg
    20054.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 739
I have it locked in pretty well to Anik F1R. Can I just start with those location specfics and go from there? If not, which satellite would be closest to Latitude: 42.9925°

Thanks again.
Jim

""closest to Latitude: 42.9925°"" Ha, they're all about 22300 miles.
Step one, set the elevation adjustment. Elevation is ONLY adjusted on the highest satellite above your horizon. It's the satellite closest to your longitude. Use the actuator to 'center' it's position to the polar mount. As shown in the above pic.
I have Cambridge NY at 73.383865 west, so AMC 6 @ 72W - 3937 V 2825
Step 2, 'go from there'.
Use the actuator to move away from there, and adjust the actuator and 'twist of the mount on the pole', the Azimuth, to peak the rest of the satellites off to one direction. DO NOT ADJUST ELEVATION-EVER AGAIN.** When you're all the way to the end, tighten azimuth adjustment and check the operation on the other side. Could also re-check elevation @ 72W.
**elevation is ONLY adjusted at your 'Zenith satellite' Closest to your longitude.

Thanks again.

As you can probably tell from my responses, I'm totally new at this! Anyway, I'll try to get it pointed to AMC 6, but I have some obstructions that might be a problem. I have a clear shot from about 91 W and greater. So if I lock in AMC 6 ok the positioner should be fully retracted? And then I should move it with the positioner and the controller towards the other satellites that are further west? I guess I'm still confused about how the dish adjusts for the different elevations too.

IMG_0737.JPGIMG_0736.JPGIMG_0735.JPG

So if I lock in AMC 6 ok the positioner should be fully retracted?
Maybe - there are Sats East of there, depends on what your goal is.
But for now, follow FatAir's instructions - get a lock on 72 West first, and set elevation and declination, then drive the dish to the West, make adjustments.
Sliding the Actuator in the clam does not affect your Angle settings.

I'm still confused about how the dish adjusts for the different elevations too
By setting the polar axis, that which the dish rotates on via the actuator, parallel with the earths axis. Notice- as the actuator moves the dish, the dish automatically gets 'lower'
pointed to AMC 6, but I have some obstructions that might be a problem.
dishpointer.com says AMC6 is at 40.4° elevation. If your obstruction is further away than it it is tall you should be in the clear. If not, that could be a problem but there may be a 'workaround' that may work. will require tool linked to below.
So if I lock in AMC 6 ok the positioner should be fully retracted?
Probably not, unless that's the furthest east(since the actuator is on the east side)you want to go. It will work to align the dish. It can be slid in/out later without affecting the alignment.
You really need one of these
http://www.harborfreight.com/dial-gauge-angle-finder-34214.html
or similar. With the dish 'centered' about the mount/polar axis. Make sure the difference between you latitude angle and the latitude + declination angle is as close to 5.96 a physically possible to measure. Then set the polar angle. (latitude) and then the dish is at the correct height to find your Zenith satellite.
Then proceed with the alignment previously outlined.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Can´t Catch MeTV in SES1

hello everyone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts