Help with selecting an Antenna

cklemmer

Original poster
Nov 16, 2019
Bloomfield, MI
Hi All,

I'm trying to pick an antenna for a house I just moved into. I've done this twice before at different locations and always had issues with my pick so I thought I would ask here to get some suggestions before I make yet another in a long line of poor choices. Here is my rabbitears info, which seems to be the place to go these days (I first did this in 2005 and again in 2016).

RabbitEars.Info

So this looks pretty good to me, I want to get the 4 majors plus PBS and they all see strong and in the same general direction. FOX is on a VHF channel which worries me. I've been having a hard time picking it up well with a Wineguard Flatwave that I have from a rental I had previous to this.

Also, I can't use an outdoor antenna due to HOA, but I have a big attic I was hoping to put it in.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

You should not have any problem from that location, 7 should be no problem either. Something with a wide beamwidth and a VHF dipole should do the trick without a preamp, in the attic.

One caveat is that WHNE-LD, virtual channel 14, is moving from RF channel 20 to RF channel 3, so if you're interested in any of its 12 subchannels, you'll eventually need an antenna capable of receiving low-VHF signals, or make a low-VHF antenna yourself and join it into your antenna feed using a signal combiner, such as ChannelMaster's JoinTenna.

If you want WHNE consider a Channel Master 3016. If you can live without WHNE try an ANT-751.

if you want to combine a low band VHF with a high VHF or a UHF use a HLSJ instead of a jointenna. The HLSJ will eliminate multi path from the second antenna.

Note that Solid Signal has many antennas in stock a short drive from you in Novi, MI.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I have very little interest in WHNE-LD so I think I'll give the ANT-751 a try. And I'll be near Novi Wednesday so I'll try to swing by and pick one up at Solid Signal. Thanks all!

Reactions: TRG
Hi all,

Thanks for all the great advice! The ANT751 was in stock at Menard's just a few miles up the street and for a great price. I mounted it in the attic and hooked it into an existing RG6 cable run down into a second floor bedroom and the signal is fantastic. I can even get CBC from Windsor. Now I can justify upgrading my HDHomeRun and get a DVR that is newer than Windows 7 Media Center.

One happy camper.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Huh. Well that is good to know. I guess I could fight em but I'm good for now. Oh, and I now realize that I bought a ANT752Z by mistake as that's what Menard's showed me when I searched on the 751. It seems to be working for me so I'll roll with it for now .

Huh. Well that is good to know. I guess I could fight em but I'm good for now. Oh, and I now realize that I bought a ANT752Z by mistake as that's what Menard's showed me when I searched on the 751. It seems to be working for me so I'll roll with it for now .

I think the 752Z is the successor to the 751. Looks identical to my 751R. Price listed is $14 cheaper than Home Depot.

Menards carries good electronics at the cheapest prices I've seen around here.

249CFB04-CFAB-4A5C-A70B-07F5BFF6054B.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)