Please reply by conversation.

sriper726

Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
mid ny
I am trying to aim a direct tv slimline SWM dish. when I
look at the receiver menu for signal strength with type SWM I get nothing
on transponders 1-9. If I change type to 101 it scans all 32
transponders and it shows mid 80 levels on transponders 31, 29 and 28.
Does this mean I am getting close or am I totally out of the ballpark.
Can someone please explain how this works.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

You are pretty close. For starters, is your mast plumb? This is very important! Did you install a power inserter? Now, to the aligning.
Start with 101. If you have set the elevation and skew correctly, slowly swing the dish until you get numbers in the high 80s. Give the receiver a few seconds to show the changes in signal strength. You may need to adjust your skew or elevation a little. Once you get good numbers on 101, check 119 if you have a 5 lnb. If not, move to the 99c satellite and see what your numbers are. They should be in the high 80s at least. This is where you use the small black knobs to make fine adjustments. Check 103ca and 103cb also. Don't worry about 99s or 103s since they carry spot beams that vary in strength depending upon where you are. That's the basics, I'm sure someone else will be able to give you better details. Good luck and don't give up!

thanks Chip I am Andy. It only allows 101 or SWM. We are pretty new to this stuff just know we have a swm lba and asssume we need signal on transponders 1-9. we only have signal on 28, 30 and 32

I'm assuming you have a swm lnb installed, yes? If so, make sure you aren't using a bbc inline. Did you install a power inserter, assuming you do have a swm lnb?

If you only show 28, 30 and 32 you are NOT pointed at 101, you are pointed at 110. Move the dish to the left about 20 degrees and then scan slowly back until you see the 101 signals populate. Then follow chip's directions.....

Good catch texasbrit, I missed that. No doubt he is pointing at 110 and not 101.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)