Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dougmm

Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
OK Let me say Hello and I’m sorry for all the questions. First off I’m a new-bee and I’m looking to get started in the hobby of Free to Air. I guess my first questions are going to be about equipment, can I use what I have if not what do I need to get to replace my current setup.
At this time my house is set up for Direct TV, Standard Dish with a dual LNB, Quad shield cable thru out the house and a 4-port multi-switch. I haven’t been using Direct for about 3 years now.

I understand that I will need a new receiver what are your suggestions as far as one that has options and upgrade ability. I saw a few using USB and most using serial cables.

Anyways Thank you all for your input, I’m hoping to get a system on order the end of this week so I can hopefully get everything installed and running next weekend.

This is the system I'm thinking about ordering. Motorized FTA System - Viewsat Ultra FTA receiver, 31" satellite dish, motor and invacom LNB.

Attachments

• DSC03437 (Small).JPG
    DSC03437 (Small).JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC03438 (Small).JPG
    DSC03438 (Small).JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 141
imho

1). if you get that system, I'd take the one cable off your switch, that went to the room where you want to put the receiver, and use it.
The rest of the cables and the switch would be there for future expansion.

2). you'd use the diseqc switch that comes with the receiver for switching between linear and circular.

3). I wouldn't choose that particular brand receiver, as I think they're overpriced for non-hacker use.
However, I'm sure it'll work fine.
I'd get one that has a USB hard drive connection, or one that is priced less.
....hrmmmmm.... odd that the price is about the same with a Mercury II . . .

4). the rest of the equipment generally seems fine.

5). get some other input if a 36" dish might be a better choice.
Where you live might be a consideration.

1). if you get that system, I'd take the one cable off your switch, that went to the room where you want to put the receiver, and use it.
The rest of the cables and the switch would be there for future expansion.

2). you'd use the diseqc switch that comes with the receiver for switching between linear and circular.

3). I wouldn't choose that particular receiver, as I think it's overpriced for non-hacker use.
However, I'm sure it'll work fine.
I'd get one that has a USB hard drive connection, or one that is priced less.

4). the rest of the equipment generally seems fine.

5). get some other input if a 36" dish might be a better choice.
Where you live might be a consideration.

Austin TX?? What receiver would you recomend?

I was rewording my post above, while you were posting.
See comment about Mercury II receiver.

I guess I don't know my Viewsat model numbers and prices very well.
I thought the Mercury II would be substantially less bucks ($25 or more) and just as useful.
Actually, I thought the Visionsat IV200 would be about the same price as the Viewsat, but I see I was mistaken.
Check out the review thread for the Visionsat on our forum.

Well, any of the three would get the job done.

yes

Blind scan finds all the weird stuff out there. The stuff not posted like news feeds and sports feeds

This "hobby" generalizes well from the old BUD analog band days. You pick it up fast once you get the hang of it.

All the receivers mentioned so far in this thread, do have blind scan.
There is nothing wrong with ignoring that feature, to get you going.
Tons of programming can be explored without it.

If you were setting up a receiver for your kids, for a non-technical friend or relative, or maybe just the rest of your household, you might do without.

As mentioned, finding feeds does mostly rely on the blind scan.
So, if aren't looking for those, . . .

Another use, is to figure out which bird you've pointed at when you are first getting started.
Kind of a newbie-crutch.
I consider it fishing with dynamite, or: what's the point?

So, since you can get good receivers which have blind scan, for about the same price range as those without (or only a little more), why pass it up?
For a first receiver, unless you are simply planning on getting some very limited programming and never looking for any more, I'd recommend it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)