Helping mother-in-law

tsduke

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Iowa
My mother in law had an installer out to upgrade them to HD yesterday. They are only getting a few of the HD channels right now for some reason. Installer told them they need to go online to do "something". What is he talking about? They don't even have a computer.

I've been in Directv for a couple years, but don't remember "needing" a pc to get my channels when I was with Dish.

They have to go to dishnetwork.com and setup their account.It's very simple you can do it for them at your place if you have their account info.

Signing in online is required to get the channels too?

Is auto pay required for HD free for life? I don't want to have to get her banking info. She hasn't even mentioned free for life yet. Just wondering why missing channels at this point.

Ok, I got her set up. What a PITA for old farts with no computer. Now my wife and I have to get all her Dish emails because of paperless billing. :(

Need one more piece of help.

Any easy way to hide all the duplicate SD channels. Directv has an easy option to hide them. I don't remember if Dish did or not. If I was at her house I would figure it out myself.

Need one more piece of help.

Any easy way to hide all the duplicate SD channels. Directv has an easy option to hide them. I don't remember if Dish did or not. If I was at her house I would figure it out myself.

I have the VIP622 so I don't know which receiver they have.They should be able to press the guide button until All HD Channels appear mine goes All Channels,All Subs,All HD Channels,Favorites List.For Local Channels I go into Menu,System Setup,Local Channels,Chan Display to select what I want displayed there.Good Luck!.:)

Also setting up a Favorites List you can select which channel you want to see SD or HD.

So sounds like they haven't changed anything. That's to bad they done offer a simple "hide sd dupes" option like Directv. So in order for to not see SD dupes she has to be on the favorite that hides all SD's??? That's not good.

On the 622, go to Menu, 6, 9, Chan Display, and check HD Priority. Only HD channels will be displayed if there's a duplicate channel. That's for local channels.

So sounds like they haven't changed anything. That's to bad they done offer a simple "hide sd dupes" option like Directv. So in order for to not see SD dupes she has to be on the favorite that hides all SD's??? That's not good.

Or press the guide button on the remote control until All HD Channels appear,seems pretty simple to me.;)

It's also too bad DirecTV doesn't have PIP or side by side PIP or dual live buffers that are always on on their DVRs.;)

This is not a tech savvy person at all. I want a option I can set and walk away. Scrolling through the guide button for the different options does not provide this. It will only lead to her calling and asking where a missing channel is.

How is that more simple than an option that allows you to walk away and never touch it again??

I press my remote control until I see what I want at the top of the guide and leave it there when I press the guide button again it's the same selection,you don't have to press the guide button multiple times every time ,or I can press the remote control to view other guide option channels very quickly.:confused:

If that's too much for her maybe she needs DirecTV? Huh? or cable, or hook her up to OTA it's cheaper.;):D

Wait a minute, you have to activate your HD yourself now? What the hell is the point of that?

Try teaching an 70+ year old person the difference between air mode and cable mode on a tv set.And the concept that the tv itself has to stay on channel 60 to view the programing from the receiver.

Lmao. Good luck and be safe this weekend. Brisak

Try teaching an 70+ year old person the difference between air mode and cable mode on a tv set.And the concept that the tv itself has to stay on channel 60 to view the programing from the receiver.

Lmao. Good luck and be safe this weekend. Brisak

I hear ya on that one my mother-in-law is 90,she works Dish Network OK,but it's only a 311 sometimes simpler is better, didn't mean to be harsh sorry.:eek::)
Good Luck to you to and be safe.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts