Here is one for the Experts

ralfyguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 17, 2005
McAlester, Oklahoma
I have a Vizio Soundbar, about five years old. It is connected to my Samsung TV, which is also same age, via stereo 3.5 mm output.
The Soundbar is mounted to the front of the TV stand. The H3 is below on the TV stand shelf, about a half a foot behind the Soundbar. It is connected to a Psyclone PSC-47 HDMI switch via HDMI. From there it is connected to the TV via HDMI.
This Soundbar is not that bad, but the IR remote sensor has always been weak. You have to aim real good to change the volume.

Now pulling up the Dish Anywhere app and playing with the remote part on it, pressing the volume controls it controls the Soundbar volume!
I am completely stunned why this works!
I am not complaining, just trying to understand WHY it works.

Any ideas?

I DO have the Soundbar set up to be controlled by the remote that came with the H3. I just try to figure out the link here. And BTW, it works incredibly well.

I have a Vizio Soundbar, about five years old. It is connected to my Samsung TV, which is also same age, via stereo 3.5 mm output.
The Soundbar is mounted to the front of the TV stand. The H3 is below on the TV stand shelf, about a half a foot behind the Soundbar. It is connected to a Psyclone PSC-47 HDMI switch via HDMI. From there it is connected to the TV via HDMI.
This Soundbar is not that bad, but the IR remote sensor has always been weak. You have to aim real good to change the volume.

Now pulling up the Dish Anywhere app and playing with the remote part on it, pressing the volume controls it controls the Soundbar volume!
I am completely stunned why this works!
I am not complaining, just trying to understand WHY it works.

Any ideas?

I DO have the Soundbar set up to be controlled by the remote that came with the H3. I just try to figure out the link here. And BTW, it works incredibly well.
I'm guessing CEC.

CEC, but through what? The Soundbar has only the stereo connection to the TV.
Does your bar volume change when you use tv remote to change volume?

Phone to router, router to hopper, hopper via hdmi cec to tv, tv via rca line level increase to sound bar, increase in volume to smile on your face.

Last edited:
Does your bar volume change when you use tv remote to change volume?

Phone to router, router to hopper, hopper via hdmi cec to tv, tv via rca line level increase to sound bar, increase in volume to smile on your face.
The bar volume indicator on the Soundbar changes visibly like it does with a regular remote.
The TV RCA level is fixed and does not change. I tested that with a pair of headphones.
I am still stumped that this works...

Or does the H3 have a IR Blaster function and it bounces off the wall on the opposite side if the room and hits the Soundbar?

That is exactly how it is done absolutely no CEC involved.
That is news to me, thanks for the info. Can you provide a link to this documentation? Back panel pic of ir connector or front panel ir transmitter labeled or article describing the ir transmitter function. It seems to be alluding me. Thanks.

The headphones actually worked on that port. You just can't change the volume.
You can change it, but not such that headphone could tell but your sound bar can.

Pull an hdmi cable and watch your control of the sound bar go bye bye (via the app).

OK, figured it out. It does indeed work with the H3 doing IR blasting. I covered the front of the Soundbar and it quit working.
I assume that if I had no Soundbar and had the H3 remote set to control the TV volume instead, it would then IR blast the TV volume.
Pulling the HDMI cable did not affect the function.

OK, figured it out. It does indeed work with the H3 doing IR blasting. I covered the front of the Soundbar and it quit working.
I assume that if I had no Soundbar and had the H3 remote set to control the TV volume instead, it would then IR blast the TV volume.
Pulling the HDMI cable did not affect the function.
And you are using the dish anywhere app remote function?

Yes. Like I said, covering the IR sensor on the Soundbar, and it stops working.

chatAgent.png
Kimberly (ID: 6DR): Hopper 3 doesn't have an IR Emitter on front panel.

You must be using the H3 remote not the dish anywhere app on your phone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)