Here is the latest HD news

Chinatown

On Vacation
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Wisconsin
I just concluded a call to a CSR named Jamie, as I had some issues with my HD programming.

I like the rest of you questioned her about any new forthcoming HD Nationals.

She indicated unequivocally, that the following channels will be lit up ( available) by the end of April.

A 200 package

VHI
Toon Disney
USA
WGN
ABC Family
AMC
BET
CMT
BBC
Cartoon Network
Disney
ESPN News
IFC
More Max
HBO 2
Nick
SCI FI

A 250 Package to include the above +

Biography
MGM
Smithsonian
Tennis
Weather

( I think Direct has these as an upgrade, as well.)

Presently have the A 200, but may have to upgrade to the A 250, as the MGM & Smithsonian would be nice additions

Sorry, but, I did not ask her about what may be included in the A 100+ package

I am not sure I would classify word from a CSR as "news'. Personally I am suspicious that premium channels will be added to the AT 200 package. We don't get the SD versions of them in these packages.

Last edited:
I hope you're right, but CSR almost never have this type of information (unless you're talking to someone in corporate).

If these are REALLY coming (contracts signed & bandwidth allocated) Dish should really pipe up with an announcement. Otherwise, I'm skeptical.

I am not sure I would calssify word from a CSR as "news'. Personally I am suspicious that premium channels will be added to the AT 200 package. We don't get the SD versions of them in these packages.

A 200 package

VHI
Toon Disney
USA
WGN
ABC Family
AMC
BET
CMT
BBC
Cartoon Network
Disney
ESPN News
IFC
More Max
HBO 2
Nick
SCI FI

These are all available in SD format...............

A 200 package

VHI
Toon Disney
USA
WGN
ABC Family
AMC
BET
CMT
BBC
Cartoon Network
Disney
ESPN News
IF
More Max
HBO 2
Nick
SCI FI

These are all available in SD format...............

But the HBO and Cinemax channels listed are NOT available in those packages. That is why i stated that I am skeptical that HD versions of the PREMIUM Channels will be added to thse packages. I made no comment on the other channels or even on whether HD versions of those premium channels might bsomeday be avaialable through the premium packs.

If you are currently subscribed to the SD channel and you paid the $10 HD activation fee then you will automatically get the corresponding HD version whenever it is turned on. The same goes for the premium channels.

To get HD only channels like MGM, smithsonian etc, you should subscribe to either the Dish Ultimate ($20) or HD only package.

Its as simple as that.

If you are currently subscribed to the SD channel and you paid the $10 HD activation fee then you will automatically get the corresponding HD version whenever it is turned on. The same goes for the premium channels.

To get HD only channels like MGM, smithsonian etc, you should subscribe to either the Dish Ultimate ($20) or HD only package.

Its as simple as that.

Agreed but Cinemax and HBo are not in the AT 200.

Much as I would love to see it, I remain intensely skeptical.

1) If they knew they going to do this, why would they have not done it already? Or at least started to do it. What Magic is there about May 1? None.

2) We don't know which of these will actually be available to existing customers. That is, how many will be on 110-119 (which everyone sees), and how many will be mirrored on 129-61.5 (Almost everyone sees one or the other)? My guess is at least some will be "61.5 Only".

3) Then there's the caveat "if we have an cost structure agreeable to both sides". Clearly that is not the case with NBC-U. So Charlie is suddenly going to see the light on that and spring for what NBC-U wants for the Channels AND the Olympics?

4) We went SEVEN MONTHS without a single new HD channel, and now Dish is going to add 21 in TWO WEEKS? Really? Without running into any "Technical issues." I have been around a long time and I can't ever remember dish adding more than six in one week (Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, Science, VS/Golf and MHD last August). And they could not pull of two this week.

5) Where is Speed and Spike?

Much as I would love to see it, I remain intensely skeptical.

1) If they knew they going to do this, why would they have not done it already? Or at least started to do it. What Magic is there about May 1? None.

2) We don't know which of these will actually be available to existing customers. That is, how many will be on 110-119 (which everyone sees), and how many will be mirrored on 129-61.5 (Almost everyone sees one or the other)? My guess is at least some will be "61.5 Only".

3) Then there's the caveat "if we have an cost structure agreeable to both sides". Clearly that is not the case with NBC-U. So Charlie is suddenly going to see the light on that and spring for what NBC-U wants for the Channels AND the Olympics?

4) We went SEVEN MONTHS without a single new HD channel, and now Dish is going to add 21 in TWO WEEKS? Really? Without running into any "Technical issues." I have been around a long time and I can't ever remember dish adding more than six in one week (Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, Science, VS/Golf and MHD last August). And they could not pull of two this week.

5) Where is Speed and Spike?

I don't know about Speed or spike, but she said all the new HD additions would be on 110 & 119.

That list doesnt match the slides from the last Charlie Chat. Bio, Bravo, MTV and Starz Edge are missing from the list from the CSR, and BBC is on the CSR list, but not on the Charlie Chat slides (I dont think BBC HD even exists). Also agree that the movie premiums listed are not part of AT200 or 250. Also Weather Channel is in AT100 (or Family), rather than in 250. Also think that MGM and Smithsonian will only be in the HD Ultimate package (and/or HD Only package), since they wont have an SD version.

All in all, too many contradictions for this CSR (or any CSR) to know what the heck' going on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts