Here is the latest HD news

Much as I would love to see it, I remain intensely skeptical.
I'm skeptical, too however there has been MUCH activity at E* over the past weeks with the addition of HD locals and the decomm of Sky Angel. They def are doing the work to get their current house in order. We shall see (hopefully!)...

This information is Bogus.

All HD channels where they have SD versions of the channel will be available in whatever AT Package they are in now (plus the HD essential pack is required for the HD version)

MGM and Smithsonian would require the customer subscribes to the HD ultimate pack since there is no equivalant of the channel in the SD packages.

But yes I am hearing most of those channels will be available by the end of April.

I'm skeptical, too however there has been MUCH activity at E* over the past weeks with the addition of HD locals and the decomm of Sky Angel. They def are doing the work to get their current house in order. We shall see (hopefully!)...

I hope you are right. I really do.

But I am getting my house in order in preparation for my anticipated shift to D* on or about May 15. Making sure we have watched every stored program. Figuring out which D* stuff i want to acquire. Getting the wiring in order, etc.

I would rather not change, but I have no confidence in Dish anymore.

I am hearing most of those channels will be available by the end of April.

I have two follow-up questions:

Wouldn't contracts for those channels have to be in place already? Clearly, for some of them I assume there are contracts in place (Disney and Time-Warner). But aren't we assuming that there are "issues" with NBC-U?

Technically, how are they going to put up 21 National HD signals in two weeks? Dish just does not seem to have the technical depth or proficiency to handle something like that. You would be talking about 10 one week and 11 the other. In addition to the locals that they are supposed to be putting up. So you could be talking about 30 or more HD channels in two weeks.

They going to start working nights and weekends?

Wouldn't contracts for those channels have to be in place already? Clearly, for some of them I assume there are contracts in place (Disney and Time-Warner). But aren't we assuming that there are "issues" with NBC-U?

Technically, how are they going to put up 21 National HD signals in two weeks? Dish just does not seem to have the technical depth or proficiency to handle something like that. You would be talking about 10 one week and 11 the other. In addition to the locals that they are supposed to be putting up. So you could be talking about 30 or more HD channels in two weeks.

The key operative words in Scott's response are "HEARING" "MOST".

Let me just add the fact that I watch CNN as much if not more then USA. But just talking to others who have dish hd and seeing whats on this site USA/SCIFI should have been first.

My HD dream list:

ESPN HD - ONLINE
Military Channel HD
USA HD - SOON
CNN HD - ONLINE
History Channel HD - ONLINE
Comedy Central HD
FOX HD - ONLINE
NBC HD - ONLINE
ABC HD - ONLINE
CBS HD - ONLINE

There is no reason they couldnt put up 21 channels in one day. They have been clearing all the needed space for weeks. I'm not saying they WILL do all in one day, but there is no reason from a technical standpoint that they couldnt.

Let me just add the fact that I watch CNN as much if not more then USA. But just talking to others who have dish hd and seeing whats on this site USA/SCIFI should have been first.

My HD dream list:

ESPN HD - ONLINE
Military Channel HD
USA HD - SOON
CNN HD - ONLINE
History Channel HD - ONLINE
Comedy Central HD
FOX HD - ONLINE
NBC HD - ONLINE
ABC HD - ONLINE
CBS HD - ONLINE

There are several threads already on Sci Fi Hd and US HD.

I hope you are right. I really do.

But I am getting my house in order in preparation for my anticipated shift to D* on or about May 15. Making sure we have watched every stored program. Figuring out which D* stuff i want to acquire. Getting the wiring in order, etc.

I would rather not change, but I have no confidence in Dish anymore.
I've looked into D*, too. Did it again just this past week. Several things keep stopping me. First they need SWM, as I only want one coax to each receiver. Second they can not assure me that they'd get me HR20s - with OTA. I wont switch without being able to get OTA...no firm date for their OTA add-on. Third, I REALLY love DLB - dual live buffers, and D* cant do that. Fourth is that I have two EHDs, and I'll never be able to catch up on all the stuff I've archived! Fifth, I really dont like D*s receivers. I could probably get used to them, but I really dont like them. Sixth, I paid $839 for my setup($525 for purchased 2nd 622, and $199 1st 622 upgrade fee) Seventh, I've switched to the HD-Only pack, and am paying $76+tax for two 622s with locals and with HBO/SHO, and I'd end up paying like $108+tax with D* after the first year. If E* adds the channels that Charlie indicated in his last Chat, I'd be good to go for a long while, with the possible exception of wanting more movie premiums in HD. Boy, that was alot of rambling...guess I just convinced myself that I'm staying with E*!

Yes, as to HBO, but everyone should be getting Cinemax. As such, More Max HD will be added.

No everyone does not get Cinemax. Where did you get that from? It is not part of AT 200 or AT 250. Cinemax is sold the same way HBO is. It si not bundled with any of the AT xxx packages---except.

BTW why would we need AT 250 to get the weather channel in HD?
etc.

Last edited:
OH no Not a CSR. All of these were announced about a month ago on a charlie chat. This actually is old news. Some of these could be delayed due to amc 14 not making it to orbit.

OK, what is it, there won't be any delays or there will? On one of your pod casts you and Scott were saying how it's only 4 transponders and there won't be any problems if AMC 14 was lost, now you're saying there could be a delay? Dish is still keeping to the party line in SEC filings:

"On April 11, 2008, SES Americom announced that it has declared to insurers that the AMC-14 satellite is now considered a total loss, due to a lack of viable options to reposition the satellite to its proper geostationary orbit. DISH Network had intended to lease the entire capacity of the satellite from EchoStar Corporation in order to, among other things, increase the number of high definition channels that DISH Network offers. As previously announced, our plans to enhance our HD programming line-up this spring remain on track and we have two more satellites scheduled for launch later this year to continue our HD rollout and reach our year-end goal of 100 local HD markets and 100 national HD channels. We are continuing to assess alternative sources of satellite capacity that will mitigate any affect that this development may have on our longer term plans to roll out additional local HD markets and national HD channels. DISH Network will not incur any financial liability as a result of the AMC-14 satellite being declared a total loss."

It would be helpful if E* would stop with the 'soon' and 'may' in their announcements of what's coming to help folks figure out what they want to do, unless that's the entire point, just drag customers along with vague announcements hoping they don't cancel and go to another provider.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)