Here is the requirements for the free Upgrade to Mpeg4

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
friendlycsr said:
Thought I might throw in my 2cents and maybe clear up some information everyone is getting. Just for clarification, I am an extremely experienced CSR with several years at "D" and have worked in almost every department, including resolution supervisor.

The requirements:
#1 Must be a current Directv Customer in good standing, Paying bills on time, never late, Etc...
This always helps, but is in no way required.

#2 Must have an Mpeg2 HD receiver activated for a least 30+ days before your local market launches on Directv
True.

#3 Must have the Triple HD LNB dish allready installed
You'll have to have this to have a properly working HD ird anyway, but this is not a requirement.

#4 Must Subscribe to Directv's HD package
Again, this is something you'll have to have just to have an active HD IRD, this is not necessarily a requirement, but pointless not to have.

#5 must Subscribe to Directv's SD locals
Not true. A lot of locations do not have these available, and even the ones that do, are not required to.

#6 Must Subscribe to Directv's HD DNS channel
not true either. You can not be required to have something that may not be available to you. You can't be required to have something that is out of your control.

Something else that was mentioned, you get to keep your old HD IRD? I'm not so sure about this. From what I've been told, the Tech is suppose to take your old IRD, and I know we can't order a relocation of the HD IRD that is suppose to be upgraded. If any of you have had a replacement and have been allowed to keep your old ird then it's probably an optional type thing, I'll check on this for sure though.

Now...

There is NO, repeat NO, HD replacement upgrade that is by default free. No matter what requirements you may meet. None. Nadda. Zero.

That doesn't mean you cannot get it for free, but you'll have to do a little negotiating with the CSR you get on the line. Of course the more you spend, the better your payment history, and the longer you've been with "D" does play a part in how willing a CSR will be to negotiate credit with you.

And here's the biggest thing. If you want the CSR to give you a break, you've got to give them a break too. The easiest way to get the best out of any CSR? When they answer the phone, "thank you for calling "D", my name is "NAME", what can I do for you today".

Address them by name.

"Hi NAME, how you doing today?"

The nicer you are to them, the nicer and more willing they will be to help you out as well.

As for the HD-DVR MPEG4 IRDS? Well, we still don't know either, I've been told spring, and they'll most likely be the H20-250, instead of h10-250, like the h10 and the h20, but that's just my guess.

Welcome aboard. Everything you say is true, however, the nice part needs to start with the CSR. I've never heard a CSR when I called introduce themselves nicely. Usually, it's obvious they are reading a script and they're pained to be doing it. Usually, they are very short with you and very rude, and you can't get anything done without calling customer retention or going up the supervisor path.

Sorry to dump on you, but the bottom of your note made it seem like the customer is always rude, or the start of the rudeness. Sorry, but this is not true.

Sorry, been on vacation for a while. :)

aec4, I definitely understand what you're talking about, I've sat next to quite a few people that would much rather be peeling their skin than helping people, and unfortunately, there's always going to be people like that no matter what company.

There are quite a few people that do, if not enjoy their job, atleast don't mind it. As I've seen from quite a few posts here, it really does depend on who you get on the line. I always try to treat every one like they're my first call of the day, reguardless of how much of a pain the previous call may have been. It's just not fair to other customers to allow some buttwhipe to affect the level of support they receive.

And that should work both ways though. You can't expect that the next CSR you get on the phone is going to be just as much of an incompetent nincompoop as the last person you spoke with. :)

But yea, I know all too well what you're talking about. Just gotta keep on trucking, I guess.

What DirecTv told me last week:

Hi,

I'm brand new to Satelliteguys, so forgive me if I repeat something that's already been covered.
I have had the DirecTv HD package for several months and since the locals are now available in my area (Houston), I asked them how to upgrade. I was told they would install the new dish for $49 and she ALSO said my current DVR, H10,
would work. I now find out that I have to have a new receiver and it's not a DVR.
Does anyone know when the HD receiver with DVR will be available? I've heard
that Dish Network is coming out with one in February.
Thanks for your help.

Jodi

Hi guys...first post !!

I just had the AT9 Dish installed here in Atlanta......I got the H20 HD receiver and the 5 LNB dish for $16.00

I did not have the HD package.
I did not have the 3 lnb dish.
I did not have a HD receiver.

In a nutshell I had a 2 LNB oval dish and standard receivers.
I don't have a HD TV Y E T !!

I was nice to the lady and asked where she was and did she enjoy living in Idaho....

Bill

BTW, Ron's TV sent 3 installers to my house...It was the first install any had done. The guys were very nice and it was neat to get just about any question I had answered....
Works great......I watched Patrick on channel 592 and knew almost as much as the installers did about the installation.
Bill

agsbill said:
Hi guys...first post !!
I just had the AT9 Dish installed here in Atlanta......I got the H20 HD receiver and the 5 LNB dish for $16.00
I did not have the HD package.
I did not have the 3 lnb dish.
I did not have a HD receiver.
In a nutshell I had a 2 LNB oval dish and standard receivers.
I don't have a HD TV Y E T !!
I was nice to the lady and asked where she was and did she enjoy living in Idaho....
Bill
Hi, everyone!:D I'm new to the group. Name's Rick.
My DTV HD upgrade is scheduled for 1/13/06 and it sounds like I'm getting (pretty much) the same deal as "agsbill". The only difference was:
I have a 2LNB round dish. (not oval)
I do have an HD TV; I just haven't had an HD pic yet.
And, yes, I was nice to the lady as well. Here name was Debbie and my upgrade price was $16 out the door (for s&h). However, at first, she wanted $99. But after I told her that when I inquired about the HD upgrade to the first lady I spoke to, who told me the upgrade was free, she said she'd have to check on that offer and put me on hold. She came back and told me, after speaking to a supervisor, she could make the offer for free plus s&h. Not bad! She said she didn't have the authority to offer the HD upgrade for free, but her supv. did. Whatever! But, I was impressed with "Debbie" because she was very cheerful and courteous to me.
I truly believe your results depend a lot on who you get and how you treat them. How they treat you is their choice. If their rude, or whatever, hang up and call back later. I guarantee you will get someone different.
Hang in there, be nice and bargain with the csr courteously.;) Remember: You'll attract more bees with honey than with vinegar (or something like that)...:cool:

I was just wondering since I qualify for national HD feeds nbc abc and fox East coast ones Will I qualify for the upgrade when the new HD dvr comes out I have the HD tivo now and I think HD lil is somewhere in the 60s dma

Just called the fancy "special customer #". Asked about free upgrade to m-peg 4 and was transferred to someone else. He told me, it is available for $99 dollars plus s&h. I told him that I've seen on various press releases that the upgrade was free. After that he told me because I was such a loyal customer that he would waive all charges and give it to me for nothing. Install is Jan. 23rd. I'll update you later.

mazter17 said:
....After that he told me because I was such a loyal customer that he would waive all charges and give it to me for nothing. Install is Jan. 23rd. I'll update you later.
It sure sounds like the D* csr's have been instructed to give the upgrades if the customer insists. Of course, they wouldn't want to miss out on a little extra $$$, as long as the customer's happy paying for it...:rolleyes: BTW, my HD upgrade (5LNB, H20) install is scheduled for this Fri., 1/13. I'll keep ya posted...

Last edited:
bigoledude65, you are correct to an extent. From what several different supervisors have told me, dtv is loosing their rear on this upgrade. I mean a LOT. CSRs are only to even offer the upgrade if customers specifically requests HD locals. I know how bad it sucks to buy new HD equip then have to turn around and pay another $99 for the newest upgrade, but remember dtv pays a helluva lot more. :(

friendlycsr said:
bigoledude65, you are correct to an extent. From what several different supervisors have told me, dtv is loosing their rear on this upgrade. I mean a LOT. CSRs are only to even offer the upgrade if customers specifically requests HD locals. I know how bad it sucks to buy new HD equip then have to turn around and pay another $99 for the newest upgrade, but remember dtv pays a helluva lot more. :(
Got my HD upgrade on 1/13/06 as scheduled, with a 5LNB dish & H20 receiver. So far, so good.:D My only complaint is that it takes too long for picture acquisition on channel changes. It's taking a full 6 seconds from pic loss to pic acquisition on a channel change. It doesn't sound like much until you experience it. Takes "forever" to channel surf. Oh, well, maybe it'll get quicker as the technology improves.
The guy installed the dish on the roof, on top of composition shingles, using lag bolts and tar seal tape. Hope it stays up there the first time a storm blows through.:eek: At least it's only a single story house. He said he does it all the time with no problems so far. My installer seemed pretty experienced with the equipment and, especially, the dish and tuning (aiming) technique. After he aimed it, he didn't have to go back and do anything else to it. Hope it stays that way.
I want a second RC24 remote so I called D* and the csr's sending me one for $16. Not bad, considering they're $29 on-line.
Later,
Rick

bigoledude65 said:
I want a second RC24 remote so I called D* and the csr's sending me one for $16. Not bad, considering they're $29 on-line.
Later,
Rick

The universal remotes on the DirecTV web site are $15.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts