here we go again, another dispute between Dish & Tegna impending

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I don't get the people who change providers over this. The stations in their crawls tell you to switch, but they don't tell you they'll be in a dispute with those other providers sooner or later and ironically at that time they'll suggest you go back to Dish since their dispute is now over.

You switch, then you get blackouts from the other carriers dispute either with the same channels or different ones. We live in a broadcast area where the locals cover many different cities with different providers in them. So I see these crawlers quite often. Cox, Charter, DirectTV, Uverse, Dish. It'll never end.

IF DISH wanted to get around this whole locals thing they could make sure that they have a 4 tuner ota dongle that gets you the 4 main networks. Then make sure that they have an easy antenna install for all subs who want one and of course still provide guide information. Then the they could still provide locals by satellite for those who can't receive the signal over the air. Of course those people who sub to locals will pay the price that they stations want to charge. Then they can tell those up front that the price of locals is subject in change due to local stations demands for higher carriage price. Put the blame squarely on the locals up front. What is really needed is a change in the laws that mandate must carry and forced carriage at the local stations demands for their price.

I'd love to see them do away with locals. Adding OTA antennas to subs homes has to cost less than the additional satellite capacity needed to deliver them via satellite. Plus all the contracts...

In the past getting locals was a big deal for Dish and DirecTV but in might just be time for them to rethink that strategy and refuse to carry locals unless the local invokes the must carry provision and hence no retrans fees. Especially if Dish really has the whole OTA dongle problems fixed. Just a thought.
The problem is, despite what you'd read here, people WANT locals. Dish & Direct became a true competitor to cable, and subscriber numbers jumped up, when they started offering locals. So, unless they get together and make an agreement not to carry any locals, which I think would be collusion and therefore illegal, whichever one decides to refuse to pay for locals, the other will benefit.

Reactions: SandFarmer
I'd love to see them do away with locals. Adding OTA antennas to subs homes has to cost less than the additional satellite capacity needed to deliver them via satellite. Plus all the contracts...
Keep in mind, whether they deliver to one subscriber or one million, the satellite capacity is the same. There are people whose only option is satellite (cable isn't installed in their area and physics make OTA a non issue).

The last time the Tegna contract was negotiated (2015), locals weren't in a separate optional package. I'll bet that was a major contention this time around, besides price.

Just checked KING5.com and the "breaking news" strip, which is where the retrans propaganda starts, now has only a note about the station's "home team harvest" food drive. Nothng anywhere re dish. A very good sign.

The guide and the info banner show the channel has been removed but the Big 12 championship game is being shown.

IT'S OOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR! (Now THAT was fast!)

Broadcasting & Cable and Multichannel News both report that dish and Tegna have reached a multiyear carriage agreement, which means those in Texas can rest easy while we in Seattle can enjoy some golf, among other things.

I would like to have full access to OTA but terrain makes it impossible for CBS, FOX, ME and a couple more on the same antenna stick.

No TEGNA stations here. BTW, what does TEGNA mean?

Reactions: pattykay and ncted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)