Here's a rumor: 15" MacBook Air to kill 15" MacBook Pro

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Take it as it is, a rumor but, after owning a 13" Air for little more than a month, I can see the 15" Air being a very popular alternative to the heavy pro.

Sure, not as much fire-power under the hood, but that SSD-equipped core-i5 runs circles around my core-i7 13" pro. And if they crank up the ram to 8GB on the next go-round of Airs, oh my....

The MacBook Pro Will Be Killed In April By The 15-Inch MacBook Air [Rumor] | Cult of Mac

Also there is nothing to say that a 15" air would not have an I7 processor as an upgrade from the 13".

So they are eliminating one of the better laptops in favor of a lower performing one that does much less.

If that is what the market is suggesting, then this is probably a good move. Personally, I much rather have a laptop that can be used more like a portable desktop.

So they are eliminating one of the better laptops in favor of a lower performing one that does much less.

If that is what the market is suggesting, then this is probably a good move. Personally, I much rather have a laptop that can be used more like a portable desktop.

Again, its a rumor. Don't know. Apple has made it clear that they don't think anyone needs an optical drive anymore. The Air is incredibly fast - it benchmarks at the same speed as the 13" Pro. It has Thunderbolt, which Apple views as the future, so it can do pretty much anything; yeah, no wired ethernet; but there are solutions for that too.

All I know if after just a short period of time, if I had to pick between my Air and my Pro, the Air wins, hands-down. We'll just have to see what Apple has in the works this summer.

Yeah I am not sure how this makes sense either, in our department we replace the disc drive with a SDD, but our laptops still act as workstations. I'd gladly take a laptop twice as heavy as an air in exchange for more ports.

There's a reason we haven't been just buying Airs to begin with.

Yeah I am not sure how this makes sense either, in our department we replace the disc drive with a SDD, but our laptops still act as workstations. I'd gladly take a laptop twice as heavy as an air in exchange for more ports.

There's a reason we haven't been just buying Airs to begin with.

The 15" MBA might have additional ports. We'll see if/when it makes an appearance.

With the larger capacity, yet same physical size battery, on the new iPad, it makes me wonder how Apple will take advantage of this with the next round of Macbook airs. I really can't complain about battery on the 13" Air, with wifi, I get a good four hours out of it.

It would be nice if they would drop the price a little on the next round of Macbooks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)