Here's MY problem!

T-Max

Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
I'm in central NJ and getting ch 39 WLVT (OTA) out of Allentown (Bethlehem) at RF 62. There's the main digital channel, 39-1, then 2 subchannels, 39-3 and 39-4. I'm getting all three at the same signal strength but I only get programming on the first two. When I tune to 39-4, I get the "no signal" message even tho' I know I'm getting it at more than adequate signal strength (confirmed by checking the signal strength when tuned to 39-4).

So, it looks like maybe my Voom box isn't "processing" this channel properly (thus it's not displaying it for me)? But it does properly identify the channel (as "39-4 DLC," which I understand stands for "Digital Learning Channel"). So it seems to recognize this subchannel properly.

It's my understanding that 39-4 is indeed broadcasting programming and that other OTA folks are getting it and viewing it. It's been suggested to me that my problem is my Voom box, and nothing to do with the station.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

did you try rescanning?
Well, I have already locked that subchannel in on a prior scan, thus I can tune to it. So it wouldn't seem that rescanning would do any good.

And I've tried that anyway. Nothing changed.

I just don't understand why I can't get the programming they're putting out -- although maybe they aren't putting any programming out. I got the impression that they were, and their schedule says that they are, but who the heck knows for sure.

Well, I have already locked that subchannel in on a prior scan, thus I can tune to it. So it wouldn't seem that rescanning would do any good.

And I've tried that anyway. Nothing changed.

I just don't understand why I can't get the programming they're putting out -- although maybe they aren't putting any programming out. I got the impression that they were, and their schedule says that they are, but who the heck knows for sure.

Some receivers can find new subchannels only by deleting the channel completely and rescanning to find it again. Simply rescanning isn't good enough.

Have you confirmed that there is anything being broadcast on those subchannels.

It is not unheard of for a station to have subchannels with blank programming.

The signal strength shown is for the entire channel, not the sub channels as they are included in the main stream and not seperated out until the tuner splits them.

Thanks guys.

Jim - Yes, I have confirmed there is programming on that subchannel. I am now in email contact with one of the engineers at the station and he is trying to find the fix for my problem. But as yet, no luck. He told me that he thinks it has "something to do with the program information table." Then he told me that they had reset their PISP tables and asked me if that made a difference (which it didn't). I don't think they'll get it resolved, but if they do, I'll let you all know.

Tower Guy - I don't think there is any way to delete channels on the Voom box. But I think that every time I do a scan and accept the results, it will replace any same channels with the newer same channels (the results of the scan). Also, it does seem that sometimes some previously-scanned channels will be lost on a re-scan that does not pick up those channels. So maybe that's one way to "delete" existing channels. Maybe I'll try that and see if it does anything. I can simply disconnect my antenna and do a scan. Obviously, I won't pick up any channels and thus maybe I can wipe out this channel (delete it).

I can always re-scan them back in.

OTA Question - HD tuner/receiver-DVR

How far can you reach???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)