Here's The Situation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

soccer_mom

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
Ohio
New to the forum so I appreciate any help that can be provided here's the situation I'm looking for advice on:

I've been a loyal Dish Network customer for 6 years--I currently have a Dish 625 DVR with 2 TVs--one flat screen HD-ready TV in the living room and an older TV in the Bedroom. Last Monday I called Dish because I got an e-mail talking about ways to watch AMC shows since Dish dropped them. I called and was offered a 10x12 ($10 for 12 months) to offset cost regarding getting shows from Amazon or iTunes. I was THRILLED with this!

I got home later that night to find that my local channels out of Toledo, OH were not appearing in my program guide. I called tech support to get this rectified, they kept on telling me that my local channels were out of Lima, OH rather than Toledo due to my zip code, although I have had the Toledo channels for years and know of others in the area that have Toledo channels as well in the same zip code. and long story short, they ran tests and said they would have a service person stop out to the house becasue they couldn't fix it over the phone. Rather than have them do that, I just decided to upgrade my system to the hopper and one joey because our equipment was already getting old and was excited to get HD for everything else. Still no local channels out of Toledo. A buddy of mine who is a contractor with DISH told me that the local channels out of Lima are out of a different satellite and wouldn't even be able to pick up the locals out of Lima with my current equipment.

So, I'm looking for advice here:
I really want to use the hopper moving forward because it looks like an awesome piece of equipment--however the Lima, OH network doesn't carry HD with Dish therefore a lot of the features are usable with the Hopper. Is there any way I can get my service back to Toledo like I had last week?? They're not coming until 8/6 to hook up the Hopper (Geez!) and my buddy told me since they didn't do the work I could still get out of it.

I'm guessing when they added the AMC stuff they noticed I was getting the Toledo locals and their system "corrected" me. When I moved to this house 6 years ago, the only local channels available were from Toledo, and I haven't had any customer issues since, so there was nothing different.

I think you pretty much understand the problem. Where you are now you are not eligible to get the Toledo locals apparently. Without looking at the chart, it is very possible Lima locals are off the other set of satellites and Dish is going to want to switch you to those. That unfortunately will prevent you from easily getting the Toledo locals later by "moving" to an address that gets them. If you don't upgrade, you can get the Toledo locals again, but by upgrading it won't be easy.

See follow up below.....

Last edited:
Yea to sort of follow up to what Tampa8 is saying....Either the fcc or Dish or both recently changed some local cities dmas.Lima is now your locals market.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

You got to love when the government decides to change your local DMA! As you can see it messes everything up!

You will need a new DISH, but since you are also looking to upgrade to a Hopper (which is GREAT!) maybe you can have them do everything at once.

Here at SatelliteGuys we have the DISH Internet Response Team (or as we lovingly refer to them as DIRT.) And these DIRT members can help you out. Looking at who is online now I see that Zach is online, try sending him a message by clicking this link ----> http://www.satelliteguys.us/private.php?do=newpm&u=167918 and see what they can do for you. Thier job is to work to keep you happy! :)

Ok, after investigating, you have no problems! Lima and Toledo are on the same satellite, 129. (Strange that space is wasted with SD Lima on that satellite, but it is)

So. after they install your Hopper system, and get you whatever Dish they need to install, you can call at some point, and "Move" to an address that gets the Toledo locals.
If you need an explanation of that, feel free to PM. Bottom line, with some help here you can get what you want eventually.........

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate it! Next time I'll know to come here instead of calling DISH...after 45 minutes on the phone I get pretty red in the face and it's unfortunate because I really like Dish.

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate it! Next time I'll know to come here instead of calling DISH...after 45 minutes on the phone I get pretty red in the face and it's unfortunate because I really like Dish.
Glad we can help. :) It's what we are here for!

If you know anyone who needs satellite help, please let them know about us! We can save folks a lot of time and agrivation! :)

Yep insert shameless plug here ___________ :D Satguys is definitely the place to come for help when it comes to satellite and many other tv needs.

Ok, after investigating, you have no problems! Lima and Toledo are on the same satellite, 129. (Strange that space is wasted with SD Lima on that satellite, but it is)

there was room on the spotbeam I guess. Other SD markets on that are Parkersburg WV, Erie PA and Dayton OH

Just call and do a "move" to an address in Toledo. Google search Movie Theaters in Toledo and pick one from that list , then add an apartment number to it. Call DISH and tell them your new SERVICE address will be the one in Toledo and your BILLING address will stay what it is today , as well as your phone number. Also tell them you already have a dish installed and you are watching tv as you speak. They change your locals back to Toledo and your happy again. Just know that if any problems with your installation or if you have to replace your receiver for what ever reason , you will have to "move" back to your real Billing address. You can always "move" back to Toledo address once you have the work done or the receiver replaced. Many of us here on this site or "movers" for various reasons. You can do all this on dish chat on the internet and never even have to talk to a csr on the phone. DISH doesn't care how often you "move" as long as you don't tell them what you are really doing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)