Hey Dish even TiVo has a skip mode!

I honestly don't think DISH went into the AutoHop thinking it would become a negotiating tool. It was heavily promoted. They did know that the Networks would complain and DISH did spend big bucks fighting them in Court at least to the point it got. It likely was while in negotiations for streaming rights and A la Carte (and who knows what else we don't know about) that the idea was spawned. When the Networks realized they may very well lose in court it probably became evident they would agree more to what DISH wants if AutoHop ceased to exist as it then was by DISH agreeing to change it. I think it evolved to that not started as that. It also could have evolved out convenience. Does DISH have to fight tooth and nail, have even more blackouts and still not get what they want in negotiations, but probably win in Court and keep AutoHop, OR - do they decide to agree to cut back on it, but move forward with A La Carte, SlingTV, Etc.

Whatever combination of things happened, we now get close to new Customer discounts and frozen package prices if we want it, there is a very good first attempt at A La Carte, there is a streaming service and one of the best receivers there is. And I bet for many who had the Top 250 like myself going to the Top 200 became possible with so many of the channels now being available there now dropped down from Top 250. I now pay $25 less a month for almost every channel I actually watched before. (If I had Encore Westerns that would be every channel) If negotiating AutoHop helped towards all that it seems worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: osu1991 and dare2be
What is really sad is, some of us are complaining over the fact that we have to press a button three or four times to skip a commercial. Not too long ago, we actually HAD to watch them live, or watch a videotaped version and "fast forward" through them. Not long before that, most of us actually had to get up off our a$$ and change the channel on TV itself, :)
I agree, I've never seen so many people complain button pressing.
Like its so much work.

Dish can take their voice remote and auto-hop , scrap it, and I wouldn't care one bit.

And you don't live or own a home in SW Florida, do you?
Nope, But we get T storms, Tornados, Snow Storms, Ice storms, Hurricanes, Tropical storms.
Far worse weather than good old Sunny Florida does.

And with a 2,300 foot elevation we certainly get our fair share of Wind.

I would say PA has far more Power outages then Florida.

Nope, But we get T storms, Tornados, Snow Storms, Ice storms, Hurricanes, Tropical storms.
Far worse weather than good old Sunny Florida does.

And with a 2,300 foot elevation we certainly get our fair share of Wind.

Whatever, Troch!

I'd like to have this feature on D* and the wait time would be fine as I'm still watching network shows from last February and I'm usually weeks behind as I prefer to marathon most shows but I can use skip forward as I always have.

I'd say not. Do you happen to know that SWFL is in the top 5 hottest places in the US? I would hope you also know that heat is the worse enemy of electronics. Mid 90 degree temps and dew points that can be over 80 degrees for 3 months out of the year is much worse than a couple weeks of 0 degree temps.

Do you also know that Fort Myers (Located in SWFL) is the lightning capital of the US? I would guess you know what lightning strikes can do to electronics?

I did just looks at hurricane stats... 1851-2006 FL had 45 hurricanes (cat 3-5). PA had zip, 0.

Oh yea, forgot, FL in the top 5 for tornados with 56 a year, PA comes in 16 per year.

Last edited:
I'd say not. Do you happen to know that SWFL is in the top 5 hottest places in the US? I would hope you also know that heat is the worse enemy of electronics. Mid 90 degree temps and dew points that can be over 80 degrees for 3 months out of the year is much worse than a couple weeks of 0 degree temps.

Do you also know that Fort Myers (Located in SWFL) is the lightning capital of the US? I would guess you know what lightning strikes can do to electronics?

Oh yea, forgot, FL has more tornadoes than any other state in the US.

Depends on what data your looking at. Last data I looked at 4 months ago. Florida was 4th in yearly average tornado's behind Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma. With you on the rest. Mid June thru mid September in Oklahoma sucks too with 90-100f days and dew points in mid 70's to 80's pushing the heat index to 110f plus. I just stop using a lot of electronics at lake house because the AC can't keep up with people going in and out. Lost a few things from the heat and humidity out there.

Yes, you are right, 4th. Compared to PA maybe in the bottom 25%. But TX and OK gets cold in the winter, it is a lot warmer all year round in SWFL.

But than we are comparing SWFL to PA.

I did just looks at hurricane stats... 1851-2006 FL had 45 hurricanes (cat 3-5). PA had zip, 0.

Yeah I know , Every one of you old folks move to Florida from the north because you like living in such a Dangerous state right.
Bahahaha...
Comcast outages are just so terrible.
I guess your power companies suck too than.
http://insideenergy.org/2014/08/18/power-outages-on-the-rise-across-the-u-s/

0eefa8f618fb1f21125087e23111ad78.jpg

Strawman argument? We were talking about Comcast outages.

Guess that goes to show you that while FL has more extreme weather than PA that they have fewer power outages. At least some states power grid can handle its environment.

And now you have an issue with elderly people? Priceless.

What I get a kick out of is how everyone makes comparisons (and arguments) based on "cable" as if every cable company and cable system across the country is the exact same. In general...Dish is Dish, DirecTV is DirecTV...same equipment and same type installs, other than variances in which Dishes, Switches, and Satellites are involved.

On the other hand, cable systems, wiring, hardware, support, picture quality, channel offerings, and the cable companies themselves are all over the place. Even within the big cable conglomerates like Comcast, Charter, etc, they are going to vary based on how their systems were built out by the individual companies in each town they have acquired. Not to mention all the little cable companies in smaller towns across the country.

Strawman argument? We were talking about Comcast outages.

Guess that goes to show you that while FL has more extreme weather than PA that they have fewer power outages. At least some states power grid can handle its environment.

And now you have an issue with elderly people? Priceless.
Digital cable and Fiber, don't work without power.

And no I don't have an issue with elderly.
But Old folks move to Florida from the Northeast to avoid the harsh winters usually 6 months worth.

When its below zero and you have no power most retired on a fixed income can't afford thousands on automatic generators .
Its not like its 75 degrees outside year round.

Point is Cable is fairly stable considering it has nothing but mother nature working against it.
To imply Comcast is so unreliable in Florida compared to the much more Harsh states is nothing more than just another attempt at fanboying up Dish.
Which is even more Ridiculous since Florida has More Thunderstorms.
I'm fairly sure you could look up Rain fade, Florida is probably the worst state for this.

Which is exactly why no one could handle me saying we haven't had an outage since Hurricane sandy.
That is all that was Said.
Until debate was demanded.

But you all attacked this thread anyway, because its negative attention that yous don't want or like.

Reactions: AZ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)