hey Dish, gonna put your HD channels in some sort of order?

ehren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
Wisconsin
me I go thru the 9000's myself for HD. Everything is so scrambled for channel order. We also have HD channels in the 300's. maybe down the road I guess.

The 9000's and the 100-300's are the same channels.. Just mapped down. I never even look in the 9000's.. All HD is mapped down to the regular channel number so there is no need to be looking through those messed up numbers in the 9000's.. I actually just locked out all duplicates so I never see them. Along with locking out multiple other crap I just don't want to have to see.

i'm not at home to look at my 622 menu right now...

but you mentioned locking out the duplicates.

did you just go through manually and do that...wherever it is that you can set up a custom channel guide...or is there some straight-forward "lock out the duplicates" menu? :)

i want to do that, as well. however, i've developed some tuning issues over the past few months with 129, and sometimes i have to tune to the SD version of the channels, so maybe i don't need to be locking anything out just yet.

still curious about how you did it, though.

thanks!

me I go thru the 9000's myself for HD. Everything is so scrambled for channel order. We also have HD channels in the 300's. maybe down the road I guess.

They have rearranged the 9000's several times since they started putting HD channels in them. Personally I rather they didn't do it again. For those using DVR's it screws up any regular recordings you have setup. As mentioned the mapdowns in the lower ranges are more organized. Of course they have rearranged channels in these ranges as well.

i'm not at home to look at my 622 menu right now...

but you mentioned locking out the duplicates.

did you just go through manually and do that...wherever it is that you can set up a custom channel guide...or is there some straight-forward "lock out the duplicates" menu? :)

i want to do that, as well. however, i've developed some tuning issues over the past few months with 129, and sometimes i have to tune to the SD version of the channels, so maybe i don't need to be locking anything out just yet.

still curious about how you did it, though.

thanks!

Go into Locks, select Channel Locks, highlight all the channels you don't want to see, then select Hide Locked, the Lock system. All the channels you select are gone from the guide and any searches and theme searches as well..

If you want to get rid of the duplicates and keep the 94xx channels, disable the map-down feature. You do this, oddly enough, under the "HD locals menu" (don't remember the exact steps).

If you don't like seeing channel "140" and "140 HD" next to each other, you have to manually lock channel 140 out.

Dave, turn on the Locks feature and manually go through and select the "duplicates" or channels you don't want. For instance, I will block CNN SD (200) and keep CNN HD 200. I keep all the 9000s HD channels unlocked. Also, it is nice to block all the crap channels like all the BTV Channels, Jesus Channels, "You're-An-Idiot-If-You-Don't-Buy-This-Surgical-Grade-Stainless-Steel-Whittling-Knife-Before-We-Sell-Out" Shopping Channels and the "Welcome-To-Dish-And-Here-Is-How-You-Use-The-Remote-To-Order-PPV" Channels. Before I had a tech come out and replace my LNB, I also had some signal strength problems on 129. In those cases, I kept both CNN SD 200 and CNN HD 200 unlocked. It is amazing how many extra channels are cluttering up the guide. I've ended up blocking the RSN HD channels since the only thing DISH transmits in HD (currently) for these channels are the pro sports, which are always blacked out anyway (I have the regional sports channels package). I might unlock these when college football gets going and see if they broadcast any games on the HD RSNs, although they blackout some (but not all) of the non-nationally televised college FB games on the RSNs. I also blocked all the "red channels" like the BABY channel and DISH Latino channels. I would say I probably have a third of all the channels that could hypothetically be seen on my 622 blacked out (many of them are red).

I like having all the HD channels (mostly) in the same range of numbers (i.e. 9000s). I'm a compulsive browser/"right click" surfer and don't use the guide much. It would be nice if they moved/duplicated/mapped down the HD channels that are only in the high 300s (like SmithHD/MGMHD) to the 9000s with all the other ones. I never use the "All HD" program guide because I also watch non-HD channels.

hey, thanks for the input, folks.

i'll definitely work with that this evening...i've thought of locking out things before, but i'm always thinking "ooooo...what will i miss?" lol