Hey Everybody With H3 OTA Problems

Tried to record an ota show that I was actually on and hit record and it recorded everything fine. Now I just hit the record from the guide on a show from the guide that was on in the middle of it and it I just checked on it ,while it is still recording and it works fine , even from the start over. Now I need to check a show that is in the guide for a show in the future. I will check tonight when I get home ,since I set many one time records on ota shows, while I am at work.

Reactions: charlesrshell
UPDATE 9:40pm.

I got home and checked all the shows for ONE time only recordings today and guess what? ALL played fine from the shows I created from the guide. So that is 6 different shows , some were back to back shows and they all played with out any errors or audio drop outs. Now I am going to see what happens if I set a series timer that is more than one time only, a reoccurring timer, to check and see if this makes any difference. By the way I have had the hopper 3 for a week Saturday and I have deleted all my ota channels and rescanned them a couple of times this week. The latest change was Wednesday night. I have also done a couple of power cord reboots this week as well. I don't know if this makes any difference , but the software is still U313 and hasn't changed since Saturday, when I activated this brand new receiver right out of the box.

So I know this so far:

1)One time only recordings made while watching an ota channel play fine.

2)One time only recordings made from the guide on ota channels ,even when I am not watching , also play fine.

So all that is left to test is the re-occurring series timer on an ota channel from the guide.

I will set some ota recordings tonight and tomorrow for weekly series timers and see if they play fine and report back tomorrow. So far, so good.:biggrin2

UPDATE: 8:19 am 6/18/16

Just checked my re-occurring timers I set from the guide from last night and ALL played fine today. I set timers on different ota channels and they all played fine. I set them to start early at 0 and end on time with no padding. I think that the ota problems are FIXED! At least on my hopper they are. So just to remind you what I did to see this change. I deleted all my ota channels in the menu and then re scanned them. I also did a power cord reboot and this seems to have fixed the problems. Might even help to unplug the ota tuner and let the receiver reboot without it plugged in then plug it back in and start the scan. I will know for sure if this last more than just the two days I have seen , but so far all timers are working and playing back with NO audio drop outs or pixelation. :clapping

UPDATE: 8:19 am 6/18/16

Just checked my re-occurring timers I set from the guide from last night and ALL played fine today. I set timers on different ota channels and they all played fine. I set them to start early at 0 and end on time with no padding. I think that the ota problems are FIXED! At least on my hopper they are. So just to remind you what I did to see this change. I deleted all my ota channels in the menu and then re scanned them. I also did a power cord reboot and this seems to have fixed the problems. Might even help to unplug the ota tuner and let the receiver reboot without it plugged in then plug it back in and start the scan. I will know for sure if this last more than just the two days I have seen , but so far all timers are working and playing back with NO audio drop outs or pixelation. :clapping

Very happy it's working for you. It's not for most everybody else.

From what I understand there are two separate issues which require two different fixes. The first fix has gone out and corrected the problems for a large amount of people. Then there is another fix being worked on and coming that corrects the pixelation issue that others are having.

This is one that has been heavy on their radar.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I just got my h3 and tried to record the ota fox31 and it recorded 31.0 .I could not get it to record.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Big night of re-occurring timers set up on Metv, Cozi and other ota channels. Hopefully they all work like they have been for the last two days. Will report back if they do. :hatsoff

All ota timers fired last night correctly and all played back fine. I set many , timers on All of my ota channels and sub channels and some are on uhf and some are on vhf channels. Some were one time only, some re-occurring ,I padded some ,others not, some back to back on different channels . I prefer my timers to be set at start early at 0 and no padding , so I don't get the conflict with back to back. After a week with the hopper 3 I can say that the first 4 days were crappy for ota ,but now for the last 3 days the ota problems are gone and I consider them fixed in my house and area. Good luck to all that are still having problems and I hope that DISH fixes them pretty quick.

* Update 7/6/16:

Well since I posted the last post on this thread , the ota problems have returned. But I have learned that recording on ota channels while viewing them results in good recordings. So I started to set up an auto tuner timer to fire 30 minutes before the ota show I want recorded fires. This has worked now for the last 3 days in a row. It is like I am sitting in front of the ota channel and viewing it while it is recording , so the show records fine. As long as the hopper is tuned to the ota channel when the timer fires I get no problems on ota. But if the timer is set to fire when I am watching another satellite channel, then I get audio drop outs and pixelation. Luckily the show I am recording is around 5:30am and I 'm not even up at that time in the morning. So this is a workaround till DISH fixes the problem for good.

My problem has been live and recorded OTA channels pixelating every five seconds or so. This is important to me as two of our local channels is in a
Tribune Broadcasting (Tribune Broadcasting Indianapolis, LLC) fee battle and are off the air. I can only get these two networks from different stations located nearby. I have setup two recordings on the OTA channels at 2:00AM and now the pixelation is gone, both in live and recorded viewing. I forget where on this forum I saw that suggestion, but it works for me. Thanks to that person and this forum. :)

You're welcome. I came up with the work around by experimenting till it worked.:oldsmile2 I also communicated my work around to the DISH email that deals with hopper 3 ota problems, so maybe this will help them come up with a software solution.

I just received a DISH Hopper 3 with an OTA tuner. All my OTA channels show up in the guide and are watchable. BUT, just some of the channels in the OTA portion of the guide are populated with actual programming. Although I can watch content on for example, MEtv and Antenna TV......NONE of the program titles show up, thus making recording and cataloging programs from these channels impossible. I know I may be getting in on this game late, but any help is greatly appreciated!

IF DISH doesn't carry those channels up on the satellite, you most likely won't get program guide information for them on the ota channels. They stopped adding guide information for sub channels this last year. I have guide information for most of my channels except Comet -new addition months ago and for Mytx -due to it being a low powered station. Put your hopper into stand by and let it update the guide and you may see guide data for some of those channels . If not then let it do the overnight update and you will find out in the morning which channels now have guide data.

I was afraid that might be the result since channels like ME and Antenna are sub channels not carried by the satellite companies. I am assuming your Me and Antenna tv channels don't have guide data also. Some of my sub channels do have program data that show up in the guide and they are not carried by Dish either. That is really why I was a little confused as to why the more popular MeTv and Antenna Tv networks don't have the guide data on Dish but some of the lesser known sub channels do.Is there anyone out there that has figured out a way to receive the guide data for these 2 networks? Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)