HH90 motor going nuts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

intuitionsys

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I got a 1m Gospell dish and universal LNB off of eBay, but as soon as I hook up the LNB to LNB3 on the switch and try to position the 90cm Fortec that is on the motor, the HH90 motor goes bananas like it's constantly trying to reset itself, and other times like its nudging very slowly. I hope I didn't get a dead LNB. As soon as I remove the LNB from the switch the HH90 behaves again and Disecq/USALS works flawless. Has anyone else seen this before? Could it be the switch? The RG6 cable between the LNB and the switch is brand new.

Yes I have recently seen this (again) souds like a shorted out LNB (Or the LNB cable)

Thanks PSB. I'll check my cables tomorrow to be sure. I spoke a little too soon though. My HH90 is still doing the same thing now even with the LNB and cable disconnected. I think I'll power down the receiver and unplug it for a good minute or so just to remove all doubt...

Remember to power off the receiver (by the main switch on the back or unplugging it) before connecting or disconnecting switches or LNBFs :)

I'll do that next time :rolleyes: It was cold and dark and I was in a hurry. Hopefully I didn't fry my new LNB although it's an el cheapo so if I did I'll chalk it up to lessons learned (a.k.a. "Don't be stupid next time" :) ).

The switches, in particular, seem to be VERY sensitive to voltage spikes created while connecting and disconnecting cables. Almost always, they will fry in this case.

Well luckily it was just the cable, between the grounding coupler and the motor input. I replaced it with a much shorter one and it's working fine now (haven't checked the new Gospell LNB yet though). It's actually working better now in that it doesn't ever wander off once in a couple dozen times like it did before, so maybe it was a blessing in disguise :)

If it ever stops raining here I'll line it up the new Gospell dish on one of the birds/tps I get the strongest on the Fortec/QPH-031 and make sure it's still working before I fix it permanently at G10R.

Dang cables :)

Glad you got it sorted out! Could have been a LOT worse!

I think Tron may have been right. When I swing the motorized Fortec to AMC5 I get a signal regardless which LNB I select (1=Ln,2=Circ) and the same on Echostar 3. I even get a signal on 3 and 4 with nothing connected.

Last edited:
Does it actually switch between the inputs or do you get the same programming (the programming from either the circular or the linear) regardless of the port? If its not switching, the switch might have fried.

Do you have a 4 x 4 DirecTV multiswitch laying around? Those are wonderful for the Invacom Quad, they incorporate a 22k switch and work fine with the Quad, which has a linear L.O. of 11750.

Unfortunately no I didn't have any spare switches. I ordered a couple of the big Chieta switches on eBay and hopefully they should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday. Until then I have a big 1m dish in the corner of my living room :) Oh and yeah I get the same programming on AMC5 regardless which LNB I select so I'm assuming it has transformed itself into a multiplexer, i.e. fried :)

DirectTV and Dish are actually illegal in Canada :mad: The equipment itself isn't but receiving it is. You mentioned DirectTV and I had to rant. Our off-the-edge-of-the-cliff-leftist CRTC (the Canadian version of the FCC) deems those services as "unpolicable" and "bereft of Canadian content" which means to your average joe that "We know what's best for you and you'll like it and shut up or we'll raise your taxes again" :) Sorry had nothing to do with my switch problem but I just felt the urge to rant... :D Even benign networks like AngelOne are off limits to us because the social engineers who think "Canadian culture" is sooo important to preserve they just can't allow it even though everyone knows that your average Canadian and your average American are indistinguishable. Okay I'm done. I feel better now :)

Last edited:
I hate big government. But that's another rant :)

You can purchase the 4 x 4 switches from Sadoun (they're actually not LABELED DirecTV, but that's probably where they're used the most). But since you've already ordered replacement DiSEqC switches, they'll serve your purpose nicely as well.

I usually get stuff from Canadian companies (or at least shipped from this side of the border) because I've had huge delays with some things sitting at Canadian customs (another rant :) ). The Chieta switches are alot bigger but I don't know if they are REALLY any more heavy duty or not than say a PanSat switch. They do have a lower insertion loss though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)