HHD and fat for the AZbox

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
I just formated my 500 gig usb external hard drive last night in FAT32 and waiting for my ulta receiver.Maybe someone can explain somthing that i found out today.I formatted in FAT because thats what AZbox requires!Today i found out that the max file that can be read or write from a FAT formated drive is 4 gig.I know that 1080p requires alot of memory and a movie broadcasting in 1080p can be over 10 gig.How does the AZbox record and playback a 1080p movie if the max allowed of memery read or write is 4 gig on a FAT formatted drive??.

I just formated my 500 gig usb external hard drive last night in FAT32 and waiting for my ulta receiver.Maybe someone can explain somthing that i found out today.I formatted in FAT because thats what AZbox requires!Today i found out that the max file that can be read or write from a FAT formated drive is 4 gig.I know that 1080p requires alot of memory and a movie broadcasting in 1080p can be over 10 gig.How does the AZbox record and playback a 1080p movie if the max allowed of memery read or write is 4 gig on a FAT formatted drive??.

I won't record Ultra HD, so no worries there. :)
The 4 gig max is just file size, when recording it will make multiple files, and will playback as a single file.

StanleyJohn,

Don't fret over this "finding" of yours. It is immaterial as Lak7 has stated.

Simply place a DVD in your DVD drive and use "EXPLORE" to view the individual files. Notice that there isn't just one file in the VIDEO_TS folder, there are several.

The difference between FAT32 and EXT2 or EXT3 is how many "divisions" or individual files are going to be required.

There might be anything like 3 1/2 individual files for the same recording on one system, and 5 1/4 files on another. It means nothing regarding playback. It is all a matter of how the files are stored and in how big of a box they are stored in.

One system isn't as efficient for packing as much info into one box as the other, otherwise, no real difference.

Put it this way, if you were moving from one house to another, and you had to pack all your stuff in boxes to make the move. Does it really matter if you used 125 medium sized boxes or 147 slightly smaller boxes? As long as all your stuff was there and you could unpack it just the same, what is the difference? They all fit into the same U-Haul truck. :)

The only difference that I could imagine, is that if you desired to remove the HDD and connect it directly to your PC, using FAT32 would allow you to communicate directly (since they may not be LINUX based OS's). Otherwise, you might require a translater between your PC and the HDD if you used ext2 or ext3 to format your HDD.

You can format your HDD in either manner, it really does not matter overall. But, for most people, FAT32 is probably the better way to go, as the AZBox's LINUX system can identify with [FAT32] easily enough and your PC will, too. Your PC may not like the LINUX [ext2 or ext3] format quite as well and you may need a translater program.

RADAR

Thanks radar and lak! Im the old timer at work at 53 :) Im the senior electronics tech where i work and the kids with the latest cell phones,x-box,etc love when i talk about my electronic hobby's like FTA.I learned something new from you guys today and tomorrow ill share what i learned with the kids.Ispent sometime last day reading the Elite Manual getting a idea on what i should expext when i get my ultra which should be by this weekend.I learn quick and there wasn't really that much that i didn't understand when i read it! This receiver isn't really that much different then the others i have!it just does more like internet browsing, more scanning choices.Glad i found the post on the remote sequence on changing the default pal mode to ntsc!should make life alittle easier:cool:.

ok, well I hooked up the 500 gig usb harddrive(its fat32 formatted), pressed record on the remote... lol.. of course it worked. I didnt change anything since last time I tried when it didnt work. it wont record all channels/ feeds though..

and it wont play back some either... but they will pay on my laptop. I was using VLC player....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)