Hi everyone!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jamestheman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Dallas,Texas
Hello everyone. My name is James and I love this site for satellite guys.

I am a satellite installer here in Tyler Texas. I just moved into my new house and am currently working on an old 40x30 primestar dish that I am using for fta. I have a clear sky in my yard and so far and hitting just about everything. I use a birdog 3.0 satellite meter to do my aiming.

I have noticed that amc 5 has been playing alot more feeds lately. I have scanned in 75 feed stations over the last week. That is alot more than any other sat out there that I have hit in the past.

I am thinking about trying to add a motor to this primestar dish, have any of you ever tried to motorize a primestar before? The only problem I see is that the skew changes on the feedhorn, so I dont know how that would work, and there are no local fta dealers in my area that I can go buy a motorized system from.

Thanks guys

Welcome to the group :)

doing a search for primestar will gain you a wealth of information & photos of motor mounted primestars.

most of us are in the same boat as having to order equipment , we do have sponsers listed at the top of the page and i've used a couple of them and they have a good selection of FTA parts.

1. what about multiple LNBs on your Primestar (is that an 84e?)

2. what about multiple dishes (with or without multiple LNBs each)?

3. if you need to learn about FTA switches to hook 'em all together, we have a good document on that in the FAQ section. :rolleyes:

4. as George said above, search for motorized Primestar, and you should find a couple of really long threads, written maybe two years ago.
Everything you can think of will have been done and documented in 'em.
Of course, we're always happy to talk about such things, show you ours, share drawings, pictures, and ideas. :up

5. as the motor sweeps the dish across the sky, tracking the Clarke Belt, the LNB skew is automatically dealt with.
You just set the skew for zero on your true south bird, and as the dish sweeps east, the LNB rotates into proper position. Same for west.

What sort of receiver are you using, and will one be sufficient, or do you need to support multiple receivers (perhaps in multiple rooms)?

Oh, and welcome aboard! - :cool:

James, I have a 1.2 Channel Master dish that has a mount created to fit the SG2100 HH motor and have excellent results! Just go to Search on this great site and type in "Primestar...Sg2100" (if that is the motor you're using) and you will find great ideas on creating the Primestar mounts and it will work on your dish. There are newer idea also in this site! Good Luck!!!
AND, since you want to motorize the dish, you set the LNB to where it can skew itself while the dish is moving satellite to satellite..
Iceberg and other guys in this site can tell you how.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)