Hidden treasure almost in my back yard

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
I haven't had much time to be very active in the satellite hobby for a time but thought I would post what I found yesterday.

I thought I knew the location of all the C band dishes in my area and most of which vanished several years ago when 4DTV declined and scrap prices were up.

Yesterday was a beautiful Spring day here in upstate NY and I had the day off. I was up on the roof reinstalling a CB antenna that I had taken down many years ago and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. A BUD behind a nearby house almost as close to my house as my 10 footer is. I have lived here for almost 30 years and until yesterday I thought I had the last C band dishes in my area. The neighbors recently removed many trees and apparently the dish was hidden from my point of view.

Time to talk to them. Perhaps they didn't know it still can be used.

IMG_0041.JPGIMG_0042.JPG

That is pretty neat. Yep just asking will probably net you a new to you dish. :)

Reactions: FTA4PA
Oh, I WISH i had a BV Perf. Those were, and are even more so now, RARE around here.
NICE FIND! Make it yours.

I bet there's quite a few still around that are hidden by trees, I just found one recently that I'd spotted after the property was being cleared of trees and brush and just the other day I spotted another that I'd never seen before on a road that I drive on all of the time, just barely visible through trees and brush.

When the people gave me my 9' RS dish, it was all in boxes, never used, but they'd put the pole up when they first bought the dish. We had to walk way out into woods to get the pole and the owners said it was all clear when they bought the dish. If the dish had been setup, there's no way it would have been visible from the road, probably a ton of em setup and forgotten out there still.

That one in your pic looks nice, hope you can get it. :D

Working on getting a 12' spun aluminum perforated HH AJAK dish that I had driven by hundreds of times without noticing it camouflaged in the pine trees. A local technician told me that he had serviced it many, many, many years ago and provided the customers telephone number. Unfortunately, the owner is currently asking a price tag that reflects his initial purchase in the 80's.
:(

Made an initial offer of $250 and free removal. Might take a bit longer than penetrating oil on a corroded nut for reality of actual value to reach his grey matter... He is a collector (borderline hoarder) old-timer that barters his way through life. A real tough, rich, junk yard dog that doesn't need the money, and probably sells very little of his "valuables". :D

Never have seen a 12' solid spun aluminum perf with HH motor. No branding on the reflector, but the AJAK is one of the later models. So well preserved that it almost looks like he kept it covered, waxed it every few months and looks like it was installed last year! I'm sure it was $8k or higher back in the day. Belongs in a museum or at least on top of my business!

With that said, I am willing to go a bit higher $$$ and throw in a few cases of Sierra IPA!

Working on getting a 12' spun aluminum perforated HH AJAK dish that I had driven by hundreds of times without noticing it camouflaged in the pine trees. A local technician told me that he had serviced it many, many, many years ago and provided the customers telephone number. Unfortunately, the owner is currently asking a price tag that reflects his initial purchase in the 80's.
:(

Made an initial offer of $250 and free removal. Might take a bit longer than penetrating oil on a corroded nut for reality of actual value to reach his grey matter... He is a collector (borderline hoarder) old-timer that barters his way through life. A real tough, rich, junk yard dog that doesn't need the money, and probably sells very little of his "valuables". :D

Never have seen a 12' solid spun aluminum perf with HH motor. No branding on the reflector, but the AJAK is one of the later models. So well preserved that it almost looks like he kept it covered, waxed it every few months and looks like it was installed last year! I'm sure it was $8k or higher back in the day. Belongs in a museum or at least on top of my business!

With that said, I am willing to go a bit higher $$$ and throw in a few cases of Sierra IPA!

Hate to say it, but the post is worthless without pics! :D

Reactions: Titanium
No photo, yet. Didn't want to appear too interested, so didn't ask too many questions or snap any photos. Glanced up at it a few times and made it seem like it was almost too big, nothing special and suggested I would be doing him a favor to remove the eyesore and preserve it from the scrappers. Talked about the added cost of a boom truck and a few day laborers from Home Depot parking lot to safely remove and how to transport the "beast".

Mostly talked about the good ole days and how every good channel scrambled, the cost of replacement parts and his hate for Charlie Ergen. Yep, all is gone to hell.... :)

Probably head back into the foothills in a few months with the gun rack and shotgun in the back window of the PU, Trump 2016 and "State of Jefferson" stickers on the bumper to seal the deal... :D

Yeah,I have learnt to say: "Lots of Spanish channels for free up there,makes the wife happy". Which is certainly true...I just no longer mention there are quite a few good English channels as well...unless asked. ;)

You could take photos with no problems.Just say: "I really need to go home and study this dish some more...I'm not sure if this is really worth my time and effort to remove it".lol

Or for a fibreglass dish: "I better let the wife look at some photos...I'm not sure she wanted a fish pond THIS big'. lmao

:devilish

Reactions: Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)