High School football team scores 72 points....IN THE 1ST QUARTER!!!!!

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
OMG....I would disband the team immediately!!! LMAO!

Updated: October 31, 2007
High School Scores 72 in First QuarterYou expected to hear joy in Roger Barta's voice. You expected the Kansas high school football legend to pick up the phone and start bragging about his team's latest accomplishment: the most dominating first quarter anyone has ever played. Instead, you find a man who is uncomfortable. Uneasy. Almost embarrassed. Barta, the head football coach at Smith Center (Kan.) High had encouraged his team to get off to a fast start in Tuesday night's Class 2-1A playoff opener against Plainville. Apparently, they listened. The fans had barely settled in their seats, and Smith Center was defeating Plainville 72-0.

And there were still 30 seconds left in the opening quarter.

The defense had recovered five fumbles and intercepted a pass, returning it for a touchdown. The offense had run 15 plays -- all but one a run -- and scored eight times. Six different players had reached the end zone. And his team had converted all nine two-point conversion attempts. "I didn't think it was nearly as entertaining as some folks did," said Barta, himself a Plainville graduate. "I guess it's a record or something, but not one that we're proud of. We're not here to embarrass kids. We're not here to run up the score. We want our kids to play hard and get ready for the next round of the playoffs. This just sort of happened. And once it started, I didn't know what to do."
In the first quarter, Smith Center scored on touchdown runs of 50, 9, 38, 20, 3, 25 and 60 yards. They returned an interception 33 yards for a touchdown and threw for a 14-yard touchdown, the only pass they completed in the game. According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, the 72 first-quarter points is a national high school record, breaking the mark of 66 set by Prescott (Ariz.) High School in 1925. But the record didn't make Barta any more comfortable about a game his team eventually won 83-0. The coach said he did everything he could to keep the score down while making sure his starters got enough reps to prepare for the next round of the playoffs.

ESPN - Drehs: 72 points in the first quarter ... and counting - High School Sports

I saw that this morning on ESPN and I can't see how in the world they did it.

If I am not mistaken this team has outscored its opponents 600+ to ZERO this season..Not sure which one is more impressive

I have seen some very dominating HS teams.
I watched my HS team get thrashed (not that bad mind you) by a Cincinnati Moeller team thatwas coached by Gerry Faust at the time.

It was quite amazing to see them play even thou we got killed, it was like watching a college team play a HS team.

Jimbo

I want to see this team play St. Xavier (Ohio) next year in the Ohio vs USA event (week 3 regular season) and see how good they REALLY are. :) Though they did not run up that kind of score, X did beat 3 previously undefeted state champions (One from KY, one form Indiana and one from Florida) this season. (no hate mail from Colerain Card fans please... only two weeks to that game. :))

By the way that's Xavier, not egg-xavier. :)

See ya
Tony