high speed internet through a multiswitch?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Beavis

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
I'm (finally) going to get my dish installed next week. Right now I have digital cable and high speed internet through Cox. I am going to only be subbing to local channels on cable (cause I know how flaky D*'s can be) and I have a 5x8 multiswitch that I'm going to run the cable tv cable into. Since I have cable internet is that going to be a problem? If so, how would I remedy it?

Beavis said:
I'm (finally) going to get my dish installed next week. Right now I have digital cable and high speed internet through Cox. I am going to only be subbing to local channels on cable (cause I know how flaky D*'s can be) and I have a 5x8 multiswitch that I'm going to run the cable tv cable into. Since I have cable internet is that going to be a problem? If so, how would I remedy it?

you will need a diplexer behind every tv.I personally will not diplex cable internet.I run a stand alone line from the cable slitter.It is more work for the install,but prevents problems down the road

So that means that I'd run the coax from the multiswitch into a diplexer, then one end of the diplexer to the Sat. In port on the IRD, and then would another diplexer be needed? Would I run 2 cables from the 2nd diplexer? One into the cable modem and the other into the In From Ant. port on the back of the IRD?

Beavis said:
So that means that I'd run the coax from the multiswitch into a diplexer, then one end of the diplexer to the Sat. In port on the IRD, and then would another diplexer be needed? Would I run 2 cables from the 2nd diplexer? One into the cable modem and the other into the In From Ant. port on the back of the IRD?

1 diplexer per tv it will work ike a backwards spitter

the cable running from the multi will go in the the diplexer.then 2 short lines out of the diplexer.one going to sat in.the other going to ant in.both of these lines will be in the sat box.when you want to watch cable just turn your sat box off

I'm getting mine installed (finally got around to it, cox is too damned expensive compared to free... lol) next week also. I had the install scheduled for today, but pushed it back since I don't have a tripod and i'm not paying ironwood $60 for one. Anyway, I have the same dilema with cox + HSI, and I know i'm not taking a chance on the cablemodem's connection, I refuse to let the installer combine that with the satellite signal like he wanted to do. I don't watch TV except now and then, so if the rest of the house wants locals from cox they can pay for it themselves. hehe. Now I just have to get an ir blaster to finish up my pvr, it was awfuly convenient just using cox analog cable so I didn't need a decoder...

Rancid1 said:
I'm getting mine installed (finally got around to it, cox is too damned expensive compared to free... lol) next week also. I had the install scheduled for today, but pushed it back since I don't have a tripod and i'm not paying ironwood $60 for one. Anyway, I have the same dilema with cox + HSI, and I know i'm not taking a chance on the cablemodem's connection, I refuse to let the installer combine that with the satellite signal like he wanted to do. I don't watch TV except now and then, so if the rest of the house wants locals from cox they can pay for it themselves. hehe. Now I just have to get an ir blaster to finish up my pvr, it was awfuly convenient just using cox analog cable so I didn't need a decoder...

Ironwood does employee installs where you are? In Tulsa it's Premier. I might just end up running 2 lines into the house. One dedicated for cable internet and the other a combined sat/cable tv cable going into a diplexer. That seems to be the most realistic option.

Las Vegas. Personaly unless someone who realy knows the ins and outs, and all the specific details of cable internet and satelite tv, tells me that it would work fine and can provide a reference to why it would work fine... I'm going to stick to two seperate cables and going to ditch the video service from cox. It soubds like the best plan.. plus then you have no worries that you could loose your sole link somewhere and poof there goes all your services untill you determine the fault. And if you run into problems finding the cause.... How can you look for assistance without satelliteguys.us? Hehehe j/k.... Unless there is more than one cablemodem, I don't see a logical reason to send it through the switch (which we both agree on.. just stating the obvious :)).

Beavis said:

I have done a number of installs where the customer had cable & cable internet. It has been my experience that combining sat & cable with a multiswitch & diplexers works with little or no problems, but whenever cable internet is involved it rarely works out. The cable modems have trouble maintaining their connections if run through a MS & diplexer. I would suggest splitting your cable prior to connecting it to the 5x8 MS. Run one side to the MS and the other to wherever you want the internet. At each receiver you will need a diplexer to separate the sat & cable signals which were combined by the MS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts