High Speed Internet

2x10

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Does anyone have ANY idea how to get residential High Speed Internet (without going the $49.99 Dish route) WITHOUT having a residential phone. Meaning Cell phones only??????

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I would not get Dish satellite unless you absolutely had to. Obviously it is too expensive and too slow. Try dsl providers, you could try this link from dish to check providers: Get Connected

Also try cable. I have comcast hsi, love it. It is 55.95 bundled with cable, but it is also the performance plus speed. Otherwise it is 45.95. Without the bundle it would be more but it is 6mbps for the cheaper one. Twice as fast as dsl. So consider what is more important, cost or speed? Then try to find a happy medium.

Matt

I have been a dish member for 8 yrs ----- I don't have cable and I don't have a home phone # ------ those options DONT work

Thats why you click on "I dont have a phone number". Put in your address and other information. Are you unable to get DSL? Are you unable to get cable for internet? If your question is how do I get high speed internet without being able to get high speed internet then I don't have an answer for you. Let me know more info.

You don't have to have cable tv to get cable internet. If cable service is available in your area you should be able to get hooked up to cable internet service. I currently have TimeWarner cable internet (5 mbps I believe) for $44.95/month without cable tv.

Normally to get DSL you also have to have local phone service which is not real cheap with all the taxes and fees added.

Something else you could check into from your local phone company is DryLoop DSL, which I think is cheaper than regular DSL, and does not require local phone service. It may also be called something else like "stand alone DSL".

If you live out in the boonies, your only option--at least around here--is satellite. And Dish doesn't offer broadband, they are teamed with Wildblue. Which, really would be the cheapest route, because Direcway (hughesnet) is more expensive--that's what I've got--so unless you can get DSL, that is the way to go.

Don't have phone line? That don't make sense if you can get DSL, why wouldn't you have DSL put in. If you can't get DSL, then I wouldn't mess with phone line.

Many cell companies (Cingular--now AT&T:rolleyes: etc.) offer broadband service too, in different areas, but it is expensive, and speed isn't reliable in all areas. Some areas you get no better than dial up, and I think the fastest I've heard of is 400Kbps.

Like pabeader said, I also have wireless trough a local provider, $29.00 a month, and have Vonage on it. Great, would never go back to ATT. Also at 2M. And no contract.

Glad to hear wireless works with your VOIP. I have heard that some have problems due to latency issues with wireless. I have been debating getting here from a local provider for 1.5/1.5 for $49.99 but the install is $150, I like the idea of having that much up speed.

They use the install money to make up for some if not all of the hardware costs at your home so that way they do not have to invest in it and start making a profit on the customer right away or in just a few months. Also the hardware has to be returned once you shut the service off.

I didn't see this suggestion, hehe

Check for some poor neighbor who can't secure his wireless network. 5 wireless networks are available around my house.

I have my own ISP with comcast, its is blazing fast. I'm getting up to 19 mbit, but it has been on the unreliable side, I also have Vonage with it.

I would check with your celluar provider. Some are upto 3mbit.

Yeah there are several neighbors around me with "open" networks. Bun unfortunately I need port forwarding etc. and I have check their routers and they have changed the default password :)

You maybe able to telnet into them. Linksys has a backdoor for that. Also, use and existing port to get around unless its some game. Any have UPNP turned on?

At least your neighbors have some clue. of course there may be no password at all :)

I can't tell you how many networks I've had to figure out simple passwords on just to install new equipment on the network. They don't even know their own passwords.

Some telcos will give you dsl without a phone (dry pair). I know Verizon offers this. Might be a little more without a phone line though.

Starband is another satellite provider, prices starting at $49.99 / mnth. Cost the equipment is pricey though.

I have cingular for my cell carrier, before I decided to get Charter cable internet I was using a bluetooth connection for awhile, tethering to my computer. Edge speeds, realisticly about 14k down, 14k up. Peaking about 28k up/down.

Works pretty good.... $29/mth.

That bluetooth connection your talking about with cingular, is that an internet connection that you got through them? Do you have to be in a certain area to get that internet access and is that unlimited access?

That bluetooth connection your talking about with cingular, is that an internet connection that you got through them? Do you have to be in a certain area to get that internet access and is that unlimited access?

It's through them, I simply added the media max 1000, 1000 text messages with unlimited internet.

It works wherever I'm at, provided it's cingular service which is a pretty large coverage area around the country.

There are special settings to enable the tethering, don't bother to call cingular and asking them as they don't have a clue, as to my understanding it's not supported by them. I did my digging on it at howardforums.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)