Highest Signal JCTV

Roxtreme

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
Roxbury, PA
With the new satellite in place, what is the highest rating anyone has been able to pull in on JCTV?

So far we have not been able to get above 40, even in good weather.

Is there hope for improvement as they fine tune the satellite?

Thanks,
Bruce - Roxtreme

I put separate dishes on AMC4 and G19 for the best siganl on each at the property. While traveling, I usually just use one LNB on G19 for quickest and best settup. With the dish clamped to a picnic table it only takes 15 seconds to reaim to AMC4!

I am using the 5400NA right now and have 46Q which is a solid lock. (and I did not fine tune the dish - I got cold and wet.)

In Central PA today, using a Fortec Star Mercury II receiver (I'm pretty sure quality readings vary by receiver model) I'm getting in the upper 20s for JCTV, but today it's overcast and raining a little.

You can see what I've been getting on Galaxy 19 on a clear day in the "Galaxy 19" topic postings.

I'm also hoping that somehow the transponders on G19 get "tuned" for better signal quality in my area.

Maybe one of the more technically proficient posters can give us an indication of what might be going on. For instance, could it be that the "polarization" of the signals from G19 might be slightly rotated from that of the previous G25 signals (might require rotation of the LNBF for G19)?

We are also in Central PA (South Central) and if the weather is not anything but very nice or better then JCTV is unwatchable...

I don't mind tuning the dish or LNB's, but don't want to modify anything if it is going to keep changing.

It probably makes sense for us to tune JCTV as best as possible and worry about changes later, but it is not a great time of year to take a power cord, TV and receiver outside.

Bruce - Roxtreme

Michigan here. Very overcast and snowing quite hard right now.

On JCTV I get a solid 75/76. Quality bounces around betwen 50 and 60 with a few dips lower here and there. I haven't tweaked my dish in over 6 months.

Bruce, How are you set up? Are you using the dual sat system? If so did you aliign AMC4 first or G-19? Since JCTV is your primary goal, I would either do the very best tweaking for JCTV and then try to get AMC4 as you can -- or go to the single LNB and adjust for JCTV. ALSO, check your dish carefully for warp and LNB arm centering. I used 3 to 5 strings to check and then I twisted the support arms and plastic holder for best centering. I am not at the property now and the ones there have no idea how to (nor access to) adjusting the dish, however it seems the Mercury was getting at least 70 with a 100 foot run off the Primestar 1 M through a 4X4 and a 4X1 switch. With the 75E to the DCR I was at least 25 above theshold, though I can not remember what the numbers were. I do remeber that running that one through the switches gave me unacceptable breakup for recording, but with a straight 60 foot run, there is no problem.

Right now, I am using the GEOSatPro dish with one dual LNB one line to one 5400 NA and another 75 foot plus 15 foot run to another 5400NA. The coupling between the two cables is defective, so that signal is really breaking up.

In Central PA, the G25 footprint had its lowest power in the country (actually, a corridor that included central Pa and a little bit north and south to other states).

When the switch to G19 was made, the signal quality was significantly lower on many channels with no changes to the setup. JCTV is one of those channels. Only change was G25 to G19.

After all that I wrote yesterday, this morning about 8:18AM PST my vertical signals (TBN-tr.) dropped from 48 to 6! My Horizontals are still very strong(40's +) . I am not sure what happened. I will have to get a meter out and see if my receiver lost power or if the lnb failed - or did the satellite lose power.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)